bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stoning of Steven  (Read 7740 times)

gallenwalsh

Stoning of Steven
« on: January 05, 2010, 12:24:23 AM »

On reading about the stoning of Steven it would seem that it was Christ himself in Steven that lead him to say and do what he did. Why does the spirit not manifest itself TODAY in such a powerful way ? I have always wondered how it is possible to really LOVE your enemies, I do not believe it is humanly possible to do so. I myself have been persecuted and gave love for hate many times and it just wears you out no matter how patient you are and never ends well, there is way too much hatred in this world. Love does not overcome evil, they hate you even more for it.So what is the gain ? Has any one out there really grown to the same point Steven did ? Is it possible, even expected of us?

Roy Coates

Re: Stoning of Steven
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 12:38:46 AM »

Can't say that I have reaced or will reach the point you are referring to. I certainly cant speek for anyone else. I feel there have been a few and will be a few in our generation. I do believe the scripture.
Mat 19:26

(ASV)  And Jesus looking upon them said to them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

(CLV) Now, looking at them, Jesus said to them, "With men this is impossible, yet with God all is possible."

(GNB)  Jesus looked straight at them and answered, "This is impossible for human beings, but for God everything is possible."

(GW)  Jesus looked at them and said, "It is impossible for people to save themselves, but everything is possible for God."

(KJV)  But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

(KJV+)  ButG1161 JesusG2424 beheldG1689 them, and saidG2036 unto them,G846 WithG3844 menG444 thisG5124 isG2076 impossible;G102 butG1161 withG3844 GodG2316 all thingsG3956 areG2076 possible.G1415

(YLT)  And Jesus having earnestly beheld, said to them, `With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.'

Lupac

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 12:40:02 AM »

I don't know... Unfortunately with me, if I was being stoned, I would probably not say much, only I'd be throwing any rock I could back at them, as a "defiant to the end" kind of thing... But that's just me.

Ninny

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 09:22:12 AM »

Bryant, I'm sure the martyrs of old never thought about going down without a fight either! Yet we have read of them singing while the flames engulfed them..and what about Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego? When thrown into the firey furnace if the flames were hot enough to kill the guards who threw them in I can imagine that they felt that hot blast on their faces...but all they knew for sure was if God didn't save them from the flames, they would never bow to the idol! and Jesus walked in the flames with them which is really an analogy for us...Jesus walks through the flames with us..the spirit of God rests on us and gives us a strange sense of peace..Jesus said we would have peace that passeth all understanding and we don't know what that means until we are in the place and the Spirit of God hovers over us and gives us the peace we need to stand in that hour! I need this and so do we all!!  :D     
 Kathy ;)

Roy Martin

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 09:23:48 AM »

Well said Kathy.

Roy

hillsbororiver

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 10:29:18 AM »

On reading about the stoning of Steven it would seem that it was Christ himself in Steven that lead him to say and do what he did.

Hi GW,

As I read the first sentence in your post a few additional verses came to mind...

Acts 7:58 And cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul.

Acts 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.

Acts 7:60 And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

Acts 8:1 And Saul was consenting unto his death. And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judaea and Samaria, except the apostles.

Acts 9:1 And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest,

Acts 9:2 And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem.

Acts 9:3 And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:

Acts 9:4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

Acts 9:5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

Peace,

Joe

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 10:48:54 AM »

Has any one out there really grown to the same point Steven did ? Is it possible, even expected of us?

Perhaps this can encourage you.   :)

Excerpts from Rays conference 2009

Well, there are a lot of scriptures saying, if you don’t do this, if you don’t do it right, if you don’t keep on doing, if you don’t overcome, if you don’t endure, you’re not fit for the kingdom of God.  Except you forsake husband, wife, family (Luke 14:26 ), everything you have and follow Me, you cannot be My disciple… that’s tough.

How many are sometimes bothered by such Scriptures and think that maybe we just won’t make it?  We just won’t be acceptable to God?  We fold every time a severe trial comes our way?  You want to live godly, but you just can’t conquer some sins and then all these many Scriptures condemn you.  Am I talking to anyone in this room?

It’s not a very peaceful or rewarding life living like this with so many uncertainties, is it?  Never ever being quite certain as to where you stand with God.  We see too many areas where we know we fall short and then we condemn ourselves.  

It’s not very soothing to live a life like that, living in kind of fear and trepidation as to whether or not you are ever going to make it into this kingdom of God.
Maybe when He says “few,” what He really means is hardly any.

Well I want you all to leave this conference with a confidence from God that will enable you to live in peace with himself/herself.  A feeling like you learned some stuff, some important stuff and I want you to leave the confidence with, that if God has begun a work in you, He will finish it.  To be assured that you will be in the Kingdom of God and receive a reward.  God did not call us to a life of uncertainty, doubt and frustration. Even if you fall, God is able to make you stand up.  

So I gave you kind of the negative side.  But there is a real positive side, isn’t there?  The positive side is this; yes, you can’t fall away... you can’t look back… you can’t refuse to continue on… you can’t refuse to overcome the trials that are put before you.  But if God is truly calling you, He won’t let you! That’s the good news. But even if He lets you fall, it will teach you a lesson, that we don’t have the strength to rely on ourselves.

...WE DON'T HAVE THE STRENGTH TO RELY ON OURSELVES... :o

Arc :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:14:41 AM by Arcturus »

mharrell08

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 10:56:33 AM »

Concurring with Joe:

Matt 25:40 & 45  ...Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me [Jesus]....Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me [Jesus].

John 15:20 & I John 4:17  "Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted Me, they will persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also… Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as He [Jesus]  IS, SO ARE WE IN THE WORLD…"

Marques

daywalker

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 01:42:21 PM »

Hello gallenwalsh:

LOVE isn't something that you can simply 'purchase' or 'find'... It is learned, and is something that grows.

Think of it this way... You can't plant a 100 year old apple tree. You first plant the seed, then water it and care for it, and prune it as it continues to grow out of the ground.

While it's true there is a lot of hatred and evil all around us--and sometimes it can be overwhelming--if you look harder, you will also see LOVE, and therefore GOD [God IS Love]. I see Him everywhere, all the time. Whenever you witness someone helping another in need, you're seeing GOD [not 'literally' obviously, but His LOVE and Goodness shining through that person...].

..but if there were no evil in this world, then we would see no good either... If there were no bad people, then essentially, there would be no good people either.

God knew what He was doing when he put the "knowledge of good and evil" in the same tree.

Hope this helps. I know it's sometimes easier spoken than lived...

Christopher 8)

On reading about the stoning of Steven it would seem that it was Christ himself in Steven that lead him to say and do what he did. Why does the spirit not manifest itself TODAY in such a powerful way ? I have always wondered how it is possible to really LOVE your enemies, I do not believe it is humanly possible to do so. I myself have been persecuted and gave love for hate many times and it just wears you out no matter how patient you are and never ends well, there is way too much hatred in this world. Love does not overcome evil, they hate you even more for it.So what is the gain ? Has any one out there really grown to the same point Steven did ? Is it possible, even expected of us?

daywalker

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 01:46:31 PM »

Nice catch, Joe!! 

Marques thanks for the additional verses...  ;)

On reading about the stoning of Steven it would seem that it was Christ himself in Steven that lead him to say and do what he did.

Hi GW,

As I read the first sentence in your post a few additional verses came to mind...

Acts 7:58 And cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul.

Acts 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.

Acts 7:60 And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

Acts 8:1 And Saul was consenting unto his death. And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judaea and Samaria, except the apostles.

Acts 9:1 And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest,

Acts 9:2 And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem.

Acts 9:3 And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:

Acts 9:4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

Acts 9:5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

Peace,

Joe

hillsbororiver

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 06:51:14 PM »

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for the kudos, and I 2nd your thanks to Marques for his addition as well.....

His Word and all the digging for and meditating on the treasure contained in it is fascinating isn't it?

Peace,

Joe

daywalker

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 06:54:48 PM »

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for the kudos, and I 2nd your thanks to Marques for his addition as well.....

His Word and all the digging for and meditating on the treasure contained in it is fascinating isn't it?

Peace,

Joe

It sure is, Joe!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.