bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prophecy?  (Read 4897 times)

vinicle

Prophecy?
« on: January 12, 2010, 04:06:43 AM »

Hi all
Im not sure if this subject,s been dealt with on the forum,but can anyone advise what  the relevance of  prophecy is today.?
In light of everything that i now know ,i dont see a need for it?
The scriptures already tell us that the eons will end and God will be all in all.
Paul speaks about the gifts to the body and mentions prophets..
Im thinking that prophecy has been done away with just like 'tongues'.
Is this correct?
Regards,
Devine

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Prophecy?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 04:54:29 AM »

Are you talking about the 'word of prophecy' thing that's common in more "charismatic" services?  Or something else?  I don't know the answer to your question, but am asking for clarification.  This whole 'ministry of the body' issue has been weighing on me lately, so I appreciate you bringing it up.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

vinicle

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 05:13:14 AM »

Dave
yes im referring to the 'word of prophecy' where they supposedly say God is about to do this or that...
That kind of thing is on the increase..
Is there any legitamacy to 'word of prophecy'?
hope my question is abit more clear

G. Driggs

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 08:29:29 AM »

Hi Devine, I hope this is what you are talking about. Excerpt from 'Speaking In Unknown Tongues'
@ http://bible-truths.com/tongues.htm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT VERSES A MORE EXCELLENT WAY

In I Cor. 12 we read of two lists of "spiritual gifts" from God. And before listing them, Paul clearly tells us:

"But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal" (Verse 7).

There must be a "profit" or "contribution to all" as the Greek bears out, from these gifts. As we will see conclusively proved from Scripture, speaking in a language is never ever to be a physical spectacle for self-aggrandizement of the flesh.

"For to one is given [not to ‘all’, but to certain ones only] by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit: To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy [inspired speaking]; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues [languages]; to another the interpretation" (I Cor. 12:8-10).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prophecy from the Greek

G4394
προφητεία
prophēteia
prof-ay-ti'-ah
From G4396 (“prophecy”); prediction (scriptural or other): - prophecy, prophesying.

G4396

προφήτης
prophētēs
prof-ay'-tace
From a compound of G4253 and G5346; a foreteller (“prophet”); BY ANALOGY AN INSPIRED SPEAKER; by extension a poet: - prophet.

So yes, prophecy is still relevant, and does not always seem to mean "predictions".  Someone who is inspired (caused) to speak by/from God can be very beneficial to us, especially encouragement, for the building up of the Church, the Body of Christ.

As far as what the babylonian church teaches concerning prophecies, it most likely is not true.

Hope this helps, if not, please be more specific with your question. It might help to read the above mentioned paper, if you have not already.

Peace, G.Driggs

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 09:49:48 AM »

Hello Devine

Thank you for the question. Consider the following.

Joh 14:16  And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
Joh 14:17  Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Notice, the Spirit of truth the world CANNOT receive.

Can Babylon prophesy with the Spirit of truth? No, of course not. :)

Joh 14:26  But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and remind you of all that I have told you.

The Holy Spirit shall REMIND,  8) not fortune tell us soothing words that tickle our ears.  The Holy Spirit reminds us of His Word we have been told, taught and remember.

Jas 4:14  YOU DO NOT KNOW what tomorrow will bring.

Can a Demon make you know what God says YOU DO NOT KNOW?

Joh 14:24  The one who does not love me does not keep my words.

Christiandom makes merchandise of God's Word neither loving His Word but despising God and His Word. That is God's Plan and we are to come out of Babylon. That is God's Plan for us! :D

Arc
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 09:53:51 AM by Arcturus »

vinicle

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 10:32:28 AM »

Thanks G.Driggs and Arc,
you both nailed this question,
i guess i meant prophecy in the sense of predictions,
it can also mean inspired speaking.
I think thats the distinction i was trying to make.
For example, God told Paul aboard a ship  during a storm, that nobody would die if they all stayed on board, the message was obviously received by those on board the ship as a prophecy(prediction)?

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 04:10:17 PM »

Hi Devine

I am glad you got something from our posts. It is good to see the difference between divination that is an abomination and prophesy that is Godly. Jesus spoke the Words given to Him by God as did Paul and the Prophets and Disciples of God. No Prophet  of God uses divination and no demon can tell the truth.

Here are some more Scriptures to contemplate.
:)

Act 16:16  And as we went to prayer, it happened that a certain girl possessed with a spirit of divination met us, who brought her masters much gain by divining.
Act 16:17  The same followed Paul and us and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the Most High God, who are announcing to us the way of salvation.
Act 16:18  And she did this many days. But being distressed, and turning to the demonic spirit, Paul said, I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her! And it came out in that hour.

Deu 18:9  When you come to the land which Jehovah your God gives you, you shall not learn to do according to the abominations of those nations.
Deu 18:10  There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that uses divination, an observer of clouds, or a fortune-teller, or a witch,
Deu 18:11  or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or one who calls to the dead.
Deu 18:12  For all that do these things are an abomination to Jehovah.
Arc
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.