bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: KEY FOODS FOR STAYING HEALTHY  (Read 8887 times)

Kat

KEY FOODS FOR STAYING HEALTHY
« on: January 12, 2010, 10:50:08 AM »

KEY FOODS TO KEEP YOU HEALTHY

In the cold weather, probably what is crossing your mind is the risk of getting sick, and with good reason. Up to 20 percent of Americans come down with the flu each year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and we suffer from an astounding one billion colds.

10 foods that boost your immunity:

1. Red Bell Peppers
Savvy flu-fighters always increase vitamin C intake when they feel illness coming on, and with good reason: It not only helps fight off illness, but can decrease the severity and duration of symptoms. But chugging OJ isn’t your only option; tasty and versatile, red bell peppers contain twice as much immune-enhancing vitamin C as oranges and work in a variety of dishes.

2. Carrots
Jennifer Zartarian, ND, Wellness and Research Coordinator at Long Island College Hospital in New York City, says yellow and orange veggies, like carrots, contain beta-carotene. This compound is converted to vitamin A in the body, which helps increase T-cells and boost immunity. Carrots are great in side dishes.

3. Almonds
This popular nut is a good source of vitamin E, which is a disease-fighting antioxidant. Grab a handful for your midafternoon snack or use them to flavor main dishes. (note from Kat, soak overnight in a cup of water to activate the enzymes)

4. Sweet Potatoes
Like carrots, sweet potatoes are an orange-colored food that contains beta carotene, which is converted to vitamin A in the body and has been shown to help fight respiratory infections. Use sweet potatoes in soups, salads and side dishes.

5. Chicken Soup
No surprise that this common cold remedy made our list, but do you know why moms having been ladling it out for years? Chicken soup does a body good because of the healthy veggies in the broth (like carrots). It also has mild anti-inflammatory properties, which may help decrease mucus production and throat swelling. But one of the main benefits of this winter staple may just be how it makes us feel. “It’s a comfort food that makes the soul feel good, and what’s good for the soul is good for the body,” says Dr. Plasker. “It also temporarily raises your body temperature, which can help you fight infection.”

6. Garlic
The sulfur compounds in garlic have been shown to kill viruses and may help prevent sickness. Adding garlic to your cooking is a good idea, but Darwin Deen, MD, senior attending physician at Montefiore Medical Center in New York City, warns that while garlic is a very potent compound, you will have to take a supplement in addition to eating garlic-enriched foods to get a dose high enough to affect your health. Garlic works well in a variety of main dishes—from pastas to meat.

7. Ginger
The natural plant compound gingerol, which is found in fresh ginger, can help fight off infection. This root is used to spice up entrées as well as side dishes.

8. Salmon
Dr. Zartarian advises that salmon is an excellent source of omega-3 as well as fish oil, which has been shown to boost immunity. This fatty fish works well as a main dish or a salad topper.

9. Mushrooms
This favorite fungus for pizza toppings and soup stocks alike contains selenium, which helps white blood cells produce cytokines to clear up sickness, as well as beta-glucan, an antimicrobial type of sugar that fights infections. Mushrooms can be thrown into soups, salads, side dishes and entrées.

10. Dark Chocolate
Luckily, fending off illness doesn’t mean you can’t indulge your sweet tooth. The high doses of cocoa in dark chocolate support the growth of T-cells and increase the immune system's ability to defend against infection. Don’t think this is a free pass to load up on the sweets, though; Dr. Plasker says that laying off sugar and alcohol can be just as important as loading up on healthy foods. “If you consume too much of them, they can offset the good things,” he adds. Snacking on a few dark chocolate squares can do the trick, or you can mix it into a dessert.

The key to staying healthy, advises Eric Plasker, DC, author of The 100 Year Lifestyle, is to make healthy foods part of your daily life. “It’s important not to be crisis-motivated: Don’t wait until you’re sick and use foods as drugs,” Dr. Plasker says. “They need to be a regular part of your diet.” Sheana Brighton, RD, LDN, a clinical dietitian at Advocate South Suburban Hospital in Hazel Crest, Illinois, stresses including a variety of fruits and vegetables in your daily diet because they contain phytochemicals, which are thought to have health-protective qualities. She says, “They may have similar effects as antioxidants. They boost the immune system, provide anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antibacterial properties, and promote cell repair.”
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/fight-the-flu-with-food-566325/

Drink up.
Getting plenty of H2O may help prevent viruses and bacteria from taking hold in your body once you’ve been exposed to them. When you’re not well hydrated, the mucus in your nose dries up and doesn’t provide that barrier. Staying hydrated also helps your system distribute valuable nutrients while flushing out germs and toxins.

Stay warm.
Being cold, and especially shivering, depresses the immune system because your body’s resources go toward raising your temperature rather than warding off germs.

Break a sweat.
Pumping up your heart rate increases the production of endorphins, hormones that give you a natural sense of well-being.

Add some light.
Canadian researchers found that 30 minutes of light therapy daily for eight weeks worked just as well as Prozac to ease depression.
http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Health/Conditions-Diseases/Your-Winter-Health-Survival-Guide.html
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 11:06:40 AM by Kat »

Patrick

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: KEY FOODS FOR STAYING HEALTHY
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 11:22:30 AM »

This researcher found that 30 minutes of dirtbike riding 3/week worked just as well as Prozac to ease depression!  :D

Samson

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 11:41:51 AM »

Thanks Kat,

Some very good information on the health benefits of these Foods and spices. In respect to Carrots, it's true that they are very nutritious, loaded with Beta Caratene that converts to Vitamin A, but it should be noted that they have a very high glycemic index of 92. That means that the rate at which they convert to sugar(glycogen) is fast. The higher the number regarding the Glycemic Index, the faster the food item converts to sugar. Of course, this is based on eating the food item by itself, in a non-mixed fashion. The Book entitled: Life Extension by Durk Pearson and Sandy Shaw explain rather thoroughly about the Glycemic index of most foods, carbohydrate foods being the most confusing, especially starches and fruits.

For many people, High Glycemic Index foods should be avoided as they cause the pancreas to release too much insulin(Fat producing Hormone), but worse, causes the individual to become hungry again too soon.

Some Examples of High Glycemic Index Foods that are nutritious in themselves, but convert to Glycogen(Stored carbohydrate eventually converted to glucose) too rapidly.

1) Bananas-62; 2) White Potatoes-98; 3) Honey-92; 4)Carrots-92; 5) Brown Rice-66

Some examples of Low Glycemic Index Carbohydrates(See Below)

1)Cheeries, peaches, plums, pears(All below 35).
2) Milk-34; All Salad type vegetables: cucumbers, green peppers, lettuce, Tomatoes, Brocoli, Cauliflower, onions, green beans, etc are all below 10, with Tomatoes maybe being the exception, their at least below 20.
3) Most of the Nut & Legume Family are below 20 and are a great choice for their Nutritional value.
4) All Flesh Foods and cheeses don't affect Blood sugar levels as they are all below 5 and must be converted to Amino Acids first, actually it's the Fat in these foods that slow down their absorption, so the Amino Acids don't convert too quickly to sugar, too much pure protein without it's naturally occuring Fats can eventually convert to glucose and becoming Body Fat.

Just some Food for thought(no pun intended),  ;D

Kind Regards, Samson.

P.S. look for additional link regarding health, have to retrieve it and modify Post.

See Link for additional insight: www.vincegironda-nsp.com
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 11:44:08 AM by Samson »

Kat

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 11:51:40 AM »

Well Samson that's good to know, thanks for the info.  Sure didn't know that about Glycemic.  We need all the info we can get, though it can be a bit confusing at times, but it's better than being ignorant.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Ninny

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 12:54:02 PM »

All this is good info guys! The hardest part is not knowing, but doing!! So we pray for God to open our eyes to all the ways to stay healthy!! I have used the Glycemic Index for years now and it's a good way to know which foods affect your blood sugar. There are many foods that are  high in sugar even some fruits are better than others..some contain a lot of sugar, but fiber in the fruit and veggies is good, fiber helps to keep your blood sugar pretty level..which in turn keeps everything from being stored as fat...lots of nutritional science in that, but it's all good!! Thanks Kat and Samson!!  :)
Kathy ;)

arion

• Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 01:07:28 PM »

I took a lot of Dr. Steger's suggestions from the book and I'm glad I did.  I have never been one to get sick anyway but you know the old saying...an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!  Add to your list raw onion is very good for you as well.  Onion and garlic are in the same family and onion is high in sulpher and antibacterial as well.  Eating a lot of raw and good quality foods along with some strenuous exercise will go a long way in turning your health around.

Samson

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 02:21:48 PM »

I took a lot of Dr. Steger's suggestions from the book and I'm glad I did.  I have never been one to get sick anyway but you know the old saying...an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!  Add to your list raw onion is very good for you as well.  Onion and garlic are in the same family and onion is high in sulpher and antibacterial as well.  Eating a lot of raw and good quality foods along with some strenuous exercise will go a long way in turning your health around.

Excellent Arion,

We eat plenty of white or red onions, plus garlic. All our salads contain garlic, minced onion or regular white onions, oregano, crushed red pepper. High Intensity weight training goes a long way, 15-30 minutes, 2-3 times a week, add a few 30-40 minute walks or bicycling and your good to go. But, your right, if you don't apply these benefits, it doesn't matter. Everything in balance, actually too much exercise is just as bad, if not worse than none at all.

Thanks, Samson.

rockrdude

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 03:00:08 PM »

10. Dark Chocolate
Luckily, fending off illness doesn’t mean you can’t indulge your sweet tooth. The high doses of cocoa in dark chocolate support the growth of T-cells and increase the immune system's ability to defend against infection.

Who-hoo!!! Amen to this!  ;D

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 03:54:59 PM »

This researcher found that 30 minutes of dirtbike riding 3/week worked just as well as Prozac to ease depression!  :D

I'm learning a lot here.

That goes along with this lab's findings that an overall reduction in Television consumption had multiple benefits for both physical and mental health.

It's also given me a good idea for a new snack fad...Dark Chocolate Covered Onions.  Any interested investors?

Carry on.   ;D
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Ninny

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 04:00:04 PM »

Dave, my dear friend...you're funny if nothing else!! I love chocolate, and I love onions...eeek!! I don't know about chocolate covered onions, though!! ouch!!  :o  people eat chocolate covered ants...who knows...
Kathy ;)

Samson

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 06:09:07 PM »

I'm learning a lot here.

That goes along with this lab's findings that an overall reduction in Television consumption had multiple benefits for both physical and mental health.

It's also given me a good idea for a new snack fad...Dark Chocolate Covered Onions.  Any interested investors?

Carry on.   ;D

Dave,

Is that a new Diet Pill(Chocolate covered onions), ;D, It must be working already, the thought of eating that kills my appetite, unfortunately for me, during the Winter Months I fall into a Sea Food Diet, I See Food and I eat it.  ;D

Kind Regards, Samson.

Kat

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 06:34:06 PM »

Hi John,

I think I do have a vague recollection of you at the conference, the memory not what it use to be.  But your diet needs sounds like my husband's, he's a meat and potatoes kind of man too.  I'm glad it's a man thing as I'm trying to avoid red meat  ;) 

But we're getting some great suggestions here, except for Dave's chocolate covered onions .

Anybody have any more nutrition info, jump in and let us know about it.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Samson

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 08:35:53 PM »

Hi John,

I think I do have a vague recollection of you at the conference, the memory not what it use to be.  But your diet needs sounds like my husband's, he's a meat and potatoes kind of man too.  I'm glad it's a man thing as I'm trying to avoid red meat  ;)  

But we're getting some great suggestions here, except for Dave's chocolate covered onions .

Anybody have any more nutrition info, jump in and let us know about it.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Hey Kat,

Here is an article from the Link I provided dealing with the subject of Raw Food and Man, Read Below !

RAW FOOD AND MAN
By Vince Girunda & Ron Koslo N/C
Part I - Processed Food and Physical Deterioration
NSP Research
If there is one thing that we could speculate as being highly probable concerning the life style of primitive
man, it is that he obtained his food primarily from animal sources and ate it raw. Historically, it appears that complexities
in food preparation and processing have come with the more complex and technical societies. Corresponding the
rise in production and consumption of refined and processed food has been the rise in physical deterioration, and the
birth of heretofore unknown degenerative diseases.

In his landmark publication. Nutrition And Physical Degeneration. Dr. Weston A Price draws a most profound
corollary between the consumption of refined and processed foods among primitive peoples of the world, and the
corresponding rise in physical deterioration. Dr. Price`s investigations took him completely around the world, studying
cultures on every major continent. As Dr. Price was a dentist. he took most interest in individual jaw formation. tooth
structure. and general oral hygiene. He studied the live subjects that he encotntered and compared them with past
generations that he uncovered for study at burial sites. He found that where past generations had subsisted on raw.
unprocessed food, the jaw formations were near perfect, dental arches were well formed, tooth structure was a work
of art, carries were nonexistent and all thiry-two teeth were intact. In studying generations following the introduction
of refined and processed foods into the dietary. Certain degenerative changes in the mouth were noted (1) jaw Formtations were malformed (2) dental arches were misshapen, (3) tooth structure was uneven, faulty and badly decayed and (4) many teeth in the mouth were missing. ln Africa, Asia. the South Seas. and Australia the story was the same;
with the introduction of refined and processed foods into the dietary of primitive peoples through the influx of
so-called civilization came the coresponding risk in degenerative processes. In the final analysis, Prices studies proved
conclusively that human physical health and well being is dependent upon a raw, unprocessed dietary; and- that
processed food seemed to pave the way for disease and degeneration.

Another monumental work in this area was done by Dr. Robert MeCarrison. ln l927. Dr. McCarrison was
appointed Director of Nutrition Research in India under the Research Fund Association. His travels had taken him
through the remote section of the Himalayas where the people of Hunan had lived since the time of Alexander the
Great. ln his Studies in Decicncy Diseases, McCarnson states concerning the health of the Hunzas:
"During the period of my association with these people. I never saw a case of asthenic dyspepsia of gastric, or
duodenal ulcer, or appendicitis of mucous colitis, or cancer. Among these people the "abdomen oversensitive" to
nerve impressions, to fatigue, anxiety or cold was unknown. The consciousness of the existence of this part of their
anatomy was, as a rule, related solely to the feeling of hunger. Indeed, their buoyant abdominal health has since my
return to the West, provided abdominal contrast with the dyspeptic and colonic lamentations of our highly civilized
communities."

Dr. McCarrison decided to perform some experiments to find if diet had a role to play in the superior health
possessed by the Hunzas and their virtual freedom from the variety of degenerative diseases that plagued Western
Civilization. For his work he chose albino rats because of their love for human food, and also because their short life
span would enable observation of a complete life history. The rst phase of his experiments entailed taking, at
random, healthy rats and placing them in ideal conditions: fresh air, sunshine and clean surroundings. Their diet
consisted of foods liberally consumed hy the Hunzas: whole grains, raw milk, eggs and butter, sprouted pulse, and a
variety of fresh raw vegetables. On rare occasions he would include a small portion of meat in and always provided
abundant fresh water. After twenty-seven months on the hunza diet, the nearly 1200 rats were killed and carefully
examined.

McCarrison reported:

"During the past two and a quarter years there has been no case of illness in the "universe" of albino rats. no
death from natural causes in the adult stock and, but for a few accidental deaths, no infantile mortality. Both clinically
and at postmortem, examination of this stock has been shown to be remarkably free from disease. It may be that
some of them have cryptic discase of one kind or another, but if so, l have failed to find either clinical or microscopical
evidence of it."

It Should be noted that similar to the Hunzas, there were 5 people of this world with raw food diets. These were
the Primitive Eskimos, the Rocky Mountain Men, the Masai of Africa, the Balam of South America and one of the most
physically outstanding people, the American Plains Indian. All living on mostly Proteins, Fats & very little or no fruits,
vegetables and starches. The American Plain Indians lived primarily off the Buffalo.

After finding in later experiments that diseased rats were returned to health on the Hunza diet. McCarrison
took batches of rats and placed them on a diet typical to that ofthe people of India: rice, pulses, and vegetables
cooked with a variety of condiments. It wasn`t long before the over two thousand rats fed the decient Indian diet
developed a variety of disease conditions: heart, kidney and glandular weaknesses, gastrointestinal disorders, ulcers,
anemia, crooked spines, bad teeth, eye ailments, various skin disorders, and loss of hair. Those results led him to take
still another batch of rats and place them on a diet typical to that taken by the poorer classes of England: canned
meat, boiled vegetables, white bread, margarine, jams & jellies and sweetened tea. McCarrison reported that not only
were a variety of disease conditions produced on the faulty diet, but also the rats became hypertensive. They fought
among themselves and by the sixteenth day of the experiment the stronger rats were killing and eating the weaker
ones.

The frightening conclusions to be drawn from Dr. McCarrison`s research ndings are the unfortunate realities
of todays world. More than Sixty years after one of the most massive experiments ever performed on mankind, viz.,
food technology, rening and processing, the results are most evident. Hospitals are tilted with masses of humanity
plagued with a variety of disease conditions virtually unknown prior to the turn of the century.
In his "Brife aus dem Lambarcnespital" (Letters from the Lambarene Hospital) in Africa 1954, Professor Albert
Schweitzer, world renowned doctor to the peoples of Africa, relates findings similar to those of both Price and McCarrison.

He states;
"I have to point out a happening in the modem civilization of the Hospital, something which happened this
year. We had to perform the rst appendicitis operation on a native of this region. How it turned out that this so
frequent sickness of white people did not occur in the colored of his country cannot bc convineingly explained.
Probably its still exceptional occurrence is traceable to the change in the nutrition. Many natives, especially those who
are living in larger commtmities do not now live the same way as formerly; they lived almost exclusively on fruits and
vegetables, bananas, cassava, ignam, taro, sweet potatoes and other fruits. They now live on condensed milk, canned
butter, meat and sh preserves and bread. The datc of appcarance of cancer, another disease of civilization, cannot be
traced in our region with the same certainty as that of appendicitis. We cannot state decisively that formerly there was
no cancer at all, because the microscopic examinations of all tested tumors, revealling their real nature, has only been
in existence here for a few years. Based upon my own experience. going back to 1913, I can say, if canccr occurred at
all it was very rare, but that it became more frequent since. However. it is not spread as much as it has
among thc white race in Europe and America."

Research from every corner of the globe has shown a denite correlation between the consumption of rened
and processed food, and the incidence of physical degeneration. If this seems like a strong indictment against the
food processing industry, it is meant to be; the evidence against them is just too voluminous and conclusive. Rening
and processing foods to preserve their keeping qualities almost completely destroys their life giving potentials. Vitamins
and minerals are lost, enzymes are completely destroyed, proteins are coagulated, fats are rendered unutilizable,
and the list goes on and on.

Part II: Sugar – The Rener's 99.9 Per Cent Pure Masterpiece

The key to life is balance; balance between those environmental forces both external and internal that
promote and sustain life. Functioning through a balanced interplay between its parts, life forms an organic whole that
is greater than the sum of its parts. A carrot, for example, contains most of the nutritional elements that promote and
sustain human life: fat, carbohydrate, protein, most known vitamins, and over 12 essential minerals. If one were to
extract Vitamin A from the carrot and take it in its pure form, one would certainly be getting one of the nest sources
of Vitamin A obtainable, but one would also be missing out on the other essential nutrients that, combined with
Vitamin A, actually increase its usefulness to the body. We term these elements, synergists – nutritional elements that
promote the biological eciency of other nutritional elements. This concept may be visualized by picturing a steel
chain, one link binding another. If one link is broken, the function of the chain is either entirely lost or greatly hundred.
The story of sugar is the story of one link in a metabolic chain deprived of the other links that promote its
usefulness and eciency in human metabolism. Separated from the cane, washed, filtered, heated, spun in centrifuges
at up to 1200 revolutions per minute, the final result is a product that is over 99.9 percent pure. Over 100
pounds of this product is consumed annually by every man, woman, and child in this country without the benefit of
the other elements necessary to its proper utilization. The results of this broken metabolic chain forms countless
pages of statistics that have prompted some scientific investigators to advocate banning its sale.

To more completely understand the detrimental effects of refined sugar in human nutrition, let us first examine
what happens in the body when we eat a meal. To be utilized as energy, food must first be broken down through
the digestive process to render glucose. Digestion converts our food into glucose at the rate of about 100 percent of
the carbohydrate, 56 percent of the proteins, and 10 percent of the fats. The blood carries the glucose from the intestinal
tract to the liver. Because there is little insulin in the liver, the sugar passes through virtually unchanged and is
carried by general circulation into the pancreas where the sudden increased blood sugar level stimulates the islands
of Langerhans to produce insulin. Insulin acts as a kind of carrier of glucose, allowing it to enter a cell where its energy
potential may be realized. The insulin reaches the liver while the major portion of the meal is still being digested;
thus, the liver is able to remove the excess glucose from the blood by converting it into glycogen and storing it for
future use. Glycogen in humans may be likened to starch in plants. If the blood sugar level falls below normal
between meals, it is the function of the adrenal cortex to secrete hormones that induce the liver to break up some of
its store of glycogen and release it into the bloodstream as glucose. Thus, a balanced blood sugar level is maintained.
Where problems arise is when the blood sugar level is either too high or too low. If the blood sugar level is too
high as in diabetes, the damaged islands of Langerhans cannot produce insulin to meet the body's requirements, and
the liver is unable to convert glucose into glycogen fast enough. The result is a blood sugar level so high that the
excess must be excreted via the kidneys through the urinary tract in order to avoid a complete metabolic blockage. If
the blood sugar level is too low as in hypoglycemia (low blood sugar, or hyperinsulinism), the opposite of diabetes
exists. The islands of Langerhans over-react to the metabolic demand by secreting too much insulin. The liver
converts too much glucose into glycogen, the net result being an insucient amount of blood glucose.

Current scientific investigation has shown that both high and low blood sugar level conditions may be traced
to an increased consumption of rened sugar. It had been suggested back in 1935 by the researchers, Himsworth and
Marshall, that the incidence of diabetes could be directly correlated to the amount of fat consumed. They pointed to
the Jews and the Italians who show a high incidence of diabetes, and who also consume high amounts of dietary fats.
On the other hand, they pointed to the Chinese and the Japanese who are low fat eaters, and who show a corresponding
low incidence of diabetes. What both Himsworth and Marshall must have overlooked was that, in each instance,
the fat consumption closely corresponded with the sugar consumption. Professor A. M. Cohen, looking at the prevalence
of diabetes among Yemenites who had immigrated to Israel, found that 0.06 percent of the recent immigrants
were diabetic versus 2.9 percent of those who had immigrated 20 years previously. In each case the fat consumption
was the same. The increased incidence of diabetes in the older immigrated group was in direct proportion to their
increased sugar consumption. In the laboratory, Cohen later demonstrated a decreased glucose tolerance in rats fed
rened sugar, thus reinforcing his earlier observations.

In all Westernized countries people are growing taller, and are showing decided changes in both structure and
size of the bony frame. In this country, for example, it has been shown that children of immigrants coming from
Europe are one to two inches taller than their parents. Succeeding generations have perpetuated the trend toward
increased growth by becoming still taller. Dr. Eugen Ziegler of Switzerland is a most enthusiastic proponent of the
idea that a denite correlation exists between the amount of sugar consumed and increases in height and weight.
Over a period of six years. Dr. Ziegler has pointed to statistics from many countries that reinforce his position. For
example, the birth weight of babies in Basle, Switzerland increased an average of 3.1 kilograms to 3.3 kilograms
between the years 1900 and 1960. A most interesting side note to this statistic is that during the two World Wars
there was registered a slight decrease in weight that correlated with a decrease in sugar consumption. In Oslo, the
height of girls between eight and fourteen years old increased between 1920 and 1950, the latter fourteen year olds
showing a four inch increase! Also in Norway, the height of adult men increased by about three quarters of an inch
between 1835 and 1870, and by another one and one half inches between 1870 and 1930. The average sugar intake
increased from 2 ¼ pounds in 1835 to 11 pounds in 1875 and to 67 pounds in 1937. Current consumption in Norway
is over 90 pounds, an increase of 40 times that consumed 130 years ago!

Dr. O. Schaeffer, in his research on the Eskimos of the Canadian north, offers support to Dr. Ziegler's contention
that there exists a correlation between increased sugar consumption and increased height and weight in humans. Dr.
Schaeffer studied Eskimos in three areas and measured birth weights, children's weights, and adult weights, all at
various ages. In the first area studied the average annual sugar consumption had increased from 26 pounds to 104
pounds in eight years, in the second area from 83 pounds to 111 pounds in one year, and in the third area from 46
pounds to 61 pounds in five years. Birth weights increased in all three areas, the amount of increase in direct proportion
to the amount of increased sugar consumption. Between 1938 and 1968 Eskimo men averaged two inches taller,
women one inch taller. The most signicant increase in height appeared among the children. Boys and girls between
the ages of two and ten were two the three inches taller. Boys of eleven were four and one half inches taller, while
girls in the twelve to thirteen range were as much as eight inches taller!

The Japanese nutrition expert, Dr. A. Katase, has conducted laboratory research that seems to verify the statistical
observations of Drs. Ziegler and Schaeffer. Over a period of ten years Dr. Katase worked with experimental
animals attempting to determine the eects of rened sugar on their growth, behavior and development. He found
that bone structures of the experimental animals became deranged, the long bones became longer, and the shape of
the pelivs grew narrow. Of even greater significance was the observation of actual bone degeneration. The bones
became so soft that they could be scraped easily with a knife.

The solubility of calcium in water has been demonstrated to be one part of calcium to one thousand parts of
water. Sugar has an affinity for calcium and will increase calcium's solubility in water thirty-five times. Dr. Katase
found that his experimental animals could accommodate a small amount of rened sugar, which the live converted in
glycogen. Any additional amount was absorbed by osmosis into the circulation where it was converted into free
carbonic acid. To keep the organism from becoming over acid, it was observed that calcium was withdrawn from the
bones to neutralize the excess free carbonic acid. The resulting compound, calcium carbonate, was found to collect in
the soft meshes of muscles, tissues, and vessels, where it became coated and hardened. One result was found to be
atherosclerosis, hardening of the arteries.

A most significant factor of Dr. Katase's research was that, under controlled laboratory conditions, he was able
to observe a biological explanation for what Drs. Ziegler and Schaeffer were later to observe and record statistically in
their respective field studies. He was able to observe the actual physiological changes that occurred due to an
increased refined sugar consumption that have become manifest over the past century in a general trend toward
greater height in humans. If was once assumed that the growth increase was due to better nutrition, with emphasis
on an increased protein intake. However, as Dr. Schaeffer found in his study of the Eskimo, the Eskimo's protein intake
over the period of study had not only not increased, but had actually decreased from 300 grams a day to just over 100
grams a day.

Thanks
Ron Koslo
(313) 372-1807

edited to seperate paragraphs, and fix other 'copy/paste' artifacts for easier reading--Dave
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 11:58:20 PM by Dave in Tenn »

Kat

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 10:24:59 PM »

Hi Samson,

Well I've read stuff like this, so it was no big surprise to me.  But that was some pretty dramatic research by those people.  We need to see this every so often as a reminder that we need to continue to get our diets in better shape.  I've made changes and need to make some more. 

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Marlene

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 01:25:29 AM »

Samson, I can relate with the low glycemic diet. I am a diabetic. I try and follow that diet. I can tell you for a fact that when I abide by it my sugars are stable. Course, if I have an infection or under alot of stess that can change things some. I know, what things will drive mine sky high. I have a book on it and try my best to stay in the low glycemic food list.

In His Love,
Marlene
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 22 queries.