bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good read about forgiving  (Read 5473 times)

mharrell08

Good read about forgiving
« on: January 12, 2010, 04:06:59 PM »

FYI: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/joe_posnanski/01/12/posnanski.mcgwire/index.html?eref=sihp

The link above is to an article from Sports Illustrated. Even if you don't care for sports, the writer makes a great point regarding forgiveness that I thought you all may like.

Long story short, a baseball player named Mark McGwire admitted yesterday to using steroids during his playing career. McGwire hasn't played in almost 10 years, but finally came forward. Anyone that has kept up with this issue for the last few years will recall multiple analysts pleading for the steroid users of the 'home-run era' to step up and admit the truth. That we, as a country, were a forgiving society.

Well, that turned out to be a crock because now McGwire is being crucified for 'how' he apologized. These same analysts now complain about the apology they sought long and hard for because basically, it wasn't perfect...as if any apology can be.

I just thought of this verse, one that the Lord has had stay with me:

2 Cor 7:9-10  Now I rejoice, not that you were made sorry, but that your sorrow led to repentance. For you were made sorry in a godly manner, that you might suffer loss from us in nothing. For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death.

As Paul notes, to feel godly sorrow or guilt leads to salvation. It's the way we feel when God inspires us to look at our sinful shortcomings and in turn, to rely on Him to overcome the flesh.

And Paul notes that worldly sorrow only leads to death...kind of like this story linked to above. Even when the world makes you feel low for your shortcomings, the world in turn is ready to pile on and go for more blood.

I cannot wait for the Judge of all the world to come and do Justice [Gen 18:25],

Marques

Extol

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Good read about forgiving
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 05:37:09 PM »

Nice article, Marques. I'm a huge baseball fan. Not to condone steroid usage, but...for as long as baseball has existed, players have done things to try and get an edge. It's a bit surprising how great the outcry against steroids has been. An excellent point was made by a host on a sports radio show today: "There are steroid users who hit .200 with 5 home runs a year". From the way the media and fans have treated this, you'd think McGwire was an everyday, blue-collar worker who couldn't play baseball, but then he took steroids and voila! he could suddenly hit 95-mph pitches 500 feet. They seem to forget that he hit 49 home runs as a scrawny rookie in 1987. I don't know anything about steroids, but I don't believe for a minute that taking them can make a person a great baseball player. If I took steroids, I would not suddenly have the talent to play major league baseball. There are players who were already immensely talented before taking steroids. Two of them, Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens, were already historically great before they (allegedly) took steroids.

I applaud the sportswriters (such as ESPN.com's Rob Neyer) who admit "Under his circumstances, I would have done the same thing." (That sound familiar?  ;))

mharrell08

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 05:42:07 PM »

I applaud the sportswriters (such as ESPN.com's Rob Neyer) who admit "Under his circumstances, I would have done the same thing." (That sound familiar?  ;))

Surely does Extol...thanks for the comments.  :)

Marques

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 05:48:22 PM »

Thanks for that Marques. :-*

I cannot wait for the Judge of all the world to come and do Justice [Gen 18:25],

Forgive me but... :D :)

1Co 6:3  Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?   :D ;D

Arc :)

dogcombat

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 12:10:15 PM »

Hi Marques,

I know all about the McGwire story. I've often said about him, Barry Bonds, Rafael Palmiero, A-Rod etc., that though they did use steroids, MLB did not have a policy that stated such usage is illegal.  In fact, with Big Mac, it was probably the worst kept secret.  He said he used amdro, and I recall years ago, creatine.  The latter is said to be a natural body building suppliment.  In fact, the other thing I think a number of us fans can do is to be forgiven for the media's hyping "Chicks dig the long ball".  Which is why players decide to use steroids and such.  That's the big payday for a new contract.   Nonetheless, forgiveness is the first step to moving on, and the animosity present will soon pass.  Although the much of the critics tearing into him are out for blood.  May God's mercy shine even more so today.

Ches

Samson

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 12:43:38 PM »

Nice article, Marques. I'm a huge baseball fan. Not to condone steroid usage, but...for as long as baseball has existed, players have done things to try and get an edge. It's a bit surprising how great the outcry against steroids has been. An excellent point was made by a host on a sports radio show today: "There are steroid users who hit .200 with 5 home runs a year". From the way the media and fans have treated this, you'd think McGwire was an everyday, blue-collar worker who couldn't play baseball, but then he took steroids and voila! he could suddenly hit 95-mph pitches 500 feet. They seem to forget that he hit 49 home runs as a scrawny rookie in 1987. I don't know anything about steroids, but I don't believe for a minute that taking them can make a person a great baseball player. If I took steroids, I would not suddenly have the talent to play major league baseball. There are players who were already immensely talented before taking steroids. Two of them, Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens, were already historically great before they (allegedly) took steroids.

Hi Extol,

I agree with your point about Ballplayers always tried to find or use an edge to enhance their abilities. Before Steroids, they used amphetamines, Gaylord Perry used to hide grease in his hair and throw a spitball, which was illegal, some scuffed the Ball to help rotation. Steroids have been around in this country since the late 1950's, power lifting teams brought them back from Germany. Actually Steroids were legal in Bodybuilding through the 1970's. It's true that the Genetically gifted would have been great anyway, with all other things being equal, but for the Guy with average Genetics, it gives them a chance they would otherwise not have. What bothers me is the Media and this Government is so hypocritical about it because Actors and Actresses will use Human Growth Hormone which has virtually no side affects to enhance their physiques for movie parts, ie-Slyvester Stallone(Rambo) and they don't seem to care about that. If you have the money, anything is possible.

It may seem Humorous, but back in my middle twenties, I wanted to be a Bodybuilder and compete someday and although my Diet wasn't perfect for shedding Body Fat, I had a decent one and trained hard, took legal supplements, but could only get so far. I came to realize that I couldn't go very far, in a professional sense without Steroids or Growth Hormone, so I had to abandon my dream of that time and just continue to work out as a way of life and because I enjoy it.

Sorry to get off the track, this thread was about forgiveness. They don't encourage these athletes to tell the truth by rewarding honesty, not too many people do. Actually, although I don't personally advocate Steroids, I'm getting tired of their witch hunt and don't really care who took steroids many years ago. Also, team physicians used to and probably still do, pump injured players up with an excessive amount of some pain killers in order to play through an injury, when they should be recovering instead. It all sounds like a pharmaceutical double-standard. Tere are so many ways that players try to secure an edge, including verbal abuse and distraction, like the Catcher harassing the opposing teams batter, I don't agree that should be tolerated either.

Kind Regards, Samson.

daywalker

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 03:08:49 PM »

Thanks Marques! Reminds me of lesson #13 from Kat's post:

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,11189.0.html

13. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.

An excellent point was made by a host on a sports radio show today: "There are steroid users who hit .200 with 5 home runs a year". From the way the media and fans have treated this, you'd think McGwire was an everyday, blue-collar worker who couldn't play baseball, but then he took steroids and voila! he could suddenly hit 95-mph pitches 500 feet. They seem to forget that he hit 49 home runs as a scrawny rookie in 1987. I don't know anything about steroids, but I don't believe for a minute that taking them can make a person a great baseball player.

Excellent points, thanx for adding this Extol! Being a huge baseball fan myself, this whole steroid thing has bothered me for a long time. I've said similar things myself. Though I realize using steroids for muscle building may be the difference between an out at the warning track, and a homerun, one still needs to be able to hit a ball and play the field... Besides most HRs are up several rows--not 'barely over the fence'.  :D

Besides, getting rid of steroids won't 'purify' the sport of baseball or any other for that matter; players & coaches will always find new ways to get an advantage. It's the "sports analysts" who have endless debates over these issues that hurt the sport, not what players & coaches do. Tell me who WON and who LOST, and HOW they did it during the game. Shut up about the rest!  ::)

We get plenty of 'politics' from our government; we don't need it in sports!

Daywalker  8)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.