bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Early church fathers?  (Read 15228 times)

Lupac

Early church fathers?
« on: January 13, 2010, 01:10:56 PM »

Okay, I've been studying what the early church taught, and it seems to me that they believed in nether eternal torment, nor that Jesus would safe all, but in "conditional immortality", meaning those who are not Christ's would be annihilated. Supposedly, Barnabas, Ignatius, Polycarp, and Justin Martyr all believed in "eternal death". I know Polycarp wasn't a very good Christian anyway, I think he's the one that said the teaching of hell wasn't truthful, but useful. Anyway, did any of the "church fathers" believe Christ would save all? (The earliest ones, not Origen.) I know Paul said that as soon as he left, the "wolves" were coming to deceive the flock. Thanks.

mharrell08

Re: Early church fathers?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 02:06:33 PM »

Okay, I've been studying what the early church taught, and it seems to me that they believed in nether eternal torment, nor that Jesus would safe all, but in "conditional immortality", meaning those who are not Christ's would be annihilated. Supposedly, Barnabas, Ignatius, Polycarp, and Justin Martyr all believed in "eternal death". I know Polycarp wasn't a very good Christian anyway, I think he's the one that said the teaching of hell wasn't truthful, but useful. Anyway, did any of the "church fathers" believe Christ would save all? (The earliest ones, not Origen.) I know Paul said that as soon as he left, the "wolves" were coming to deceive the flock. Thanks.

Excuse me Lupac but who cares what the 'early church fathers' taught? I thought we were following Christ, not 'church fathers'.

Jesus has a doctrine, we don't need to follow another one:

John 7:16-17  Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but His that sent me. If any man will do His will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

1 John 4:14  We have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world

Jesus Christ is the chief cornerstone of His church...no other foundation can be laid which is Jesus. Our faith begins and ends with Him...we are complete in Jesus.

Marques
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 07:28:21 AM by mharrell08 »

Lupac

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 02:17:42 PM »

I am trying to follow Christ, but I thought the early "fathers" would be closer to the truth than what came later.

Sorry for trying to get to the bottom of everything.

Samson

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 02:41:36 PM »

I am trying to follow Christ, but I thought the early "fathers" would be closer to the truth than what came later.

Lupac,

Marques is right, it doesn't really matter what the Early Church(2nd-4th Century) believed, but what the Scriptures testify, don't forget the Church " Fathers" were laden with errors too; Immortality of the Soul, Annihilation, Bodily Resurrection of Christ, Adam & Eve created Flawless in Character(Spiritually Perfect), A literal physical future punishment, even if remedial, etc, etc. However, I sent you a PM attempting to help you on this regarding the Universal Reconcilation of All, as that, in some form was the prevailing Doctrine regarding the fate of Human Kind for at least 4-5 Centuries. You will have to do alittle work by reading and researching the references I sent you. If you have any problems, PM me back, but you must make the effort, the tools are there.

Hope This Helps, Samson.

Lupac

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 02:54:01 PM »

Thank you all. I guess I see the men closest to Jesus and His apostles, even the apostles themselves as having perfect teaching, when Jesus and the Holy Spirit are the only perfect teachers...

mharrell08

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 03:51:12 PM »

Email reply from Ray (http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,1004.msg8462.html#msg8462):

Dear Pam:

Sometimes in life, Pam, you will not and cannot find a definitive answer to every question that you have.  You won't find it in a dictionary, at your church, or in a friend.  And at times even God does not appear to give you a needed answer.  What are you to do?  LIVE BY FAITH.  Make a decision on all the facts you have, and then just do it.  God gave us "minds" for a reason and a purpose.  We are to use and exercise them.  What should I wear today?  Just make a decision and put something on.  I know people who have worked very little in life because they never quite knew what they wanted to be "when they got big."  But won't you possibly make mikstakes by living by faith?  DUH!  Of course you will make mistakes. A large part of life consists of making mistakes and learning from them.

God be with you,

Ray

Email reply from Ray (http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,2969.msg21959.html#msg21959):

Dear Chad:

God does not want the world to know He really is at this time, if He did, He would maybe do some of the things you suggest.  We are to "live by FAITH" the Sciptures tell us. Living by faith means that we accept God at His word without ANY PHYSICAL PROOF of what He says. This may not be your time for God to reveal Himself to you.

May God open your eyes to see the invisible,

Ray

Lupac, the time will come when you will have to step out WITHOUT seeing the 'bottom of everything'. No one here has gotten to the 'bottom of everything' either...we simply have to trust God at His Word.

That is why the scriptures refer to us as Believers. We believe ('have faith in') God to do what He says He will do and perform in the earth as well as the entire universe. I know you feel frustrated that all your posts continue to clash with others, but lack of faith is the reason why.

You continue to want some sort of proof as to why we, the apostles, the prophets, and Christ in His ministry look to God and place our total dependence on Him. Aren't our very lives 'proof' enough?

Jesus gave us the perfect example...willing to be beaten and crucified while maintaining total reliance on God to bring Him through.

Paul and Peter being beaten and eventually killed for walking in these same truths.

All the hate mail and vile threats Ray receives...some even glory in the fact he has cancer. And for what? He hasn't swindled people out of 10% of their money, promoted violence or oppression, exploited children or anything of the sort. Ray simply brings the good news, God reconciling the world to Himself, and takes all the abuse when he could have simply kept to himself and be happy and content with the Truth as he knew it.

Like I said before, one day you're going to believe these scriptures and have to step out on faith...you may not see it yet but it is going to come.

Marques

Kat

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 04:01:49 PM »

Hi Lupac,

Another thing to consider, is that we can see that probably many of the early Believers had left the church/synagogue, because of the persecution they were facing and were coming together in homes. Here is an excerpt that explains that and there is also an excerpt that states there were 'early church fathers' that did believe in universal reconciliation and the last email about the early fathers knew there was no word for eternity in Scriptures.

http://bible-truths.com/lake11.html ---------

Did new converts to Christ continue to attend synagogues to be edified in their new-found-faith? NO! They were persecuted in the synagogues! They left the synagogues. They left the mother Church. Remember our lesson where Jesus said, "I will build My church..." (Matt. 16:18). Jesus didn’t say that He would purify or purge the existing Church. No, Jesus built a New Church—His Church, "MY Church" Jesus called it.

And so it was in the religion of Judaism that the people learned of God and the Law of Moses. But when they learned of the gospel of Jesus Christ, they were forced to "COME OUT OF HER…"

When we read the history of the Apostles in the book of Acts, they and their new converts to Jesus did not continue to worship Jesus in the synagogues. They now began to meet among themselves and in private homes. Paul’s habit was to go to the synagogues of whatever city he was evangelizing to teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Paul did not go to these synagogues to worship Jesus Christ, but rather to teach that Jesus was the Christ. And those who were truly called of God left the synagogues and met with believers of like mind in private homes.

It is true that the Apostles continued for a time to go up to the Temple (not the local synagogues), but they were warned under threat of death that they should discontinue teaching in the Temple. But Peter, who denied Christ three times just weeks earlier, now spoke fearlessly:

"And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to TEACH AND PREACH Jesus Christ" (Acts 5:42).

THE CHURCH OF GOD IN PRIVATE HOUSES

There was a transition period where the disciples still went up to the temple, but God’s intimate dealings would now be found in more humble surroundings. When the Holy Spirit was poured out on the first Saints of Jesus, it was not in a synagogue, but in a house:

"And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all THE HOUSE where they were sitting" (Acts 2:1-2).

Church services were held in houses:

"Likewise greet the church that is in their house" (Rom. 16:5).

"The churches of Asia salute you. Aquila and Priscilla salute you much in the Lord, with the church that is in their house" (I Cor. 16:19).

"Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house� (Col., 4:15).

"Paul, a prisoner of Jesus Christ, and Timothy our brother, unto Philemon our dearly beloved, and fellowlabourer, and to our beloved Apphia, and Archippus our fellowsoldier, and to the church in your house" (Philemon 1-2).

When we come to the famous Jerusalem Conference in the fifteenth chapter of Acts, we read that Paul and Barnabas were "…being brought on their way by the CHURCH…" (Acts 15:3). This is the Church of Jesus Christ, not the church of the synagogue system. Notice that in this conference their determination was to not force the Law of Moses on new Gentile converts:

"Then pleased it the apostles and elders, with THE WHOLE CHURCH…" (Acts 15:22).

The High Priests did not attend this conference. This was the first ‘ecumenical counsel,’ if you will, of the Church of Jesus Christ, consisting of only those who believed, who formulated policy which would be binding on the whole church.

The Jews had "synagogues"—church buildings. The newly converted Christians came out of those synagogue church buildings and their doctrines, and met in homes. Why? Mostly because Christ was not taught or tolerated in these synagogues. In order to worship and follow the teachings of Jesus Christ, it became necessary to "come out of her"—the synagogue system of religion.

Jesus Christ, the teachings of Jesus Christ, and the followers of Jesus Christ were hated and despised by most leaders of most synagogues. Do we think that anything has changed regarding this in today’s churches? If Jesus Christ returned to virtually any Christian church in the world today, unrecognized in a business suit, and began teaching His own Gospel, the leaders of the churches would throw Him out. And I say this without the least hesitation as to what the implications of my statement are.

http://bible-truths.com/student.htm --------

You can say that I believe contrary to Graham, Spurgeon, or Sunday, but I guarantee you that the early church fathers did not believe in the unscriptural heresy of endless torture. Among those who saw God' greater glory in the greater hope of salvation to all are, Origen, Eusebius, St. Ambrose, St. Gregory, Didymus (of whom S. Jerome said, "Didymus surpassed all of his day [380] in knowledge of the Scriptures). "The Eastern Church of that time (fourth and fifth centuries) was permeated, from Gregory of Nyssa downwards, with the wider Hope [that of universal reconciliation]. See Spirits in Prison, Ch. iv. Also: Diodorus (378), Bishop of Tarsus, St. Chrysostom from the school of Antioch, and the list goes on and on. And many of these men read the Scriptures in their original languages long before the KJV started inserting such nonsensical incoherency as "for ever AND EVER" into its pages.

The evidence is available in both secular history and the Scriptures. Most intoxicated with the liquor of Christendom, however, have no desire to know the truth. "Indeed, beside Origen, Gregory of Nyssa also, Gregory of Nazianzus, Basil, Abrose himself, and Jerome, taught everywhere the universal restitution of things, asserting simultaneously with it, AN END OF ETERNAL PUNISHMENT."--C.B. SCHLEUTER, pref. In Erig, (Migne.) Read, Christ Triumphant By Thomas Allin.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,2598.0.html ----------

Words are not defined by "impressions."  Greek "aions" always had reference to a period of time, be it short or long. This is true from the earliest Greek writings. The early church fathers also knew this to be true.  It was in the year 540 that Justinian called for a church council. He wanted to establish that the life of the saint was to be "everlasting," and so concluded that it must be taught that the life of the doomed must also be "everlasting."  He knew that the Greek words aion and aionios did not have this meaning of "everlasting," so he attached the word "ENDLESS" to these words which he knew meant ages. And so, thus was born the unscriptural, damnable heresy of "ENDLESS AGES." Here we have absolute irrefutable proof that "aions" did not mean endless or would not have been necessary to attached the word "endless" to a word if it also meant endless. "Everlasting punishment," and "eternal life" are theological LIES that have no place in the Scriptures.

God be with you,
    Ray

aqrinc

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 04:14:40 PM »

Hi Lupac,

Even the Apostles did not understand most of what Jesus Christ taught, until after His Resurrection when He (Jesus Christ) Opened up their Minds to understand The Scriptures.

(ASV)
Luk 24:31  And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.
Luk 24:32  And they said one to another, Was not our heart burning within us, while he spake to us in the way, while he opened to us the scriptures?

The same way today each persons mind, must, be opened, by This Same Jesus Christ; for you, and me, and they, to understand the Scriptures.

(Rotherham)
Luk 24:44 And he said unto them—These, are my words, which I spake unto you yet being with you: That all the things that are written in the law of Moses and the Prophets and Psalms, concerning me, must needs be fulfilled.
Luk 24:45 Then, opened he their mind, to understand the Scriptures;
Luk 24:46 and said unto them—Thus, it is written, That the Christ, should suffer, and arise from among the dead on the third day;
Luk 24:47 And that repentance for remission of sins should be proclaimed upon his name unto all the nations,—beginning from Jerusalem.
Luk 24:48 Ye, are witnesses of these things.
Luk 24:49 And lo! I, am sending forth the promise of my Father upon you; but tarry, ye, in the city, until ye be clothed, from on high, with power.

george :).

onelovedread

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 04:40:29 PM »

Is it possible that we could be a little more gentle in our responses? I may be a bit sensitive, but Marques' initial response comes over as a bit harsh. His point may be well made but it could be interpreted as a put down of someone seeking answers. I'm just saying, let's try a little harder to ensure that our writings appear to be made in humility. Not everyone is at the same level of understanding. Please feel free to tell me I'm off the mark. I won't take it personally

mharrell08

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 05:50:36 PM »

Is it possible that we could be a little more gentle in our responses? I may be a bit sensitive, but Marques' initial response comes over as a bit harsh. His point may be well made but it could be interpreted as a put down of someone seeking answers. I'm just saying, let's try a little harder to ensure that our writings appear to be made in humility. Not everyone is at the same level of understanding. Please feel free to tell me I'm off the mark. I won't take it personally

Just tough love Onelovedread, that's all...no malicious intent.

Marques

Roy Martin

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »

I gotta remember that Marques for the kids. Just tough love. I like it. ;)

Roy

gmik

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 11:29:54 PM »

I for one, enjoy History...not to prove anything to myself..but just to know.  Before I found BT I was reading as much as I could on early church history, even from a catholic website.  I wasn't looking for anything except history.  Maybe it is bcz I am a teacher.  sorry, but I don't feel its wrong to be reading up on early church "fathers".  Now if you are not settled in your heart what is true from scripture, I wouldn't be looking for deep spiritual answers anywhere BUT scriptures.

Is it Ninny or Linny that has that really cool quote under their name....about when Christianity came to Rome....etc....well, that is History and interesting.

When newbies come calling w/ questions or help, they don't need to be put down or treated "less than" bcz they don't know everything yet.  I hope he is still reading this thread and not feeling...well...put down.

Ninny

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 12:48:29 AM »

I agree Gena...and it's Linny who has the quote!!  ;)
Kathy :)

Linny

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 01:50:36 AM »

God had me studying Christian history (particularly Catholic) and getting a perspective there before He brought me here and it helped me immensely to see the truth in Ray's teachings.

I am like you Gena, a teacher with a need to see it and understand it from whence it came!
I will say however, that we have to be very careful about where we get the information we read. If it is out of Babylon, we can bet many (most) times it isn't true.

For now Lupac, why not spend your time reading Ray's info on history as it is definitely not out of Babylon and he has spent a great deal of time finding credible sources. Saves me a lot of time!  ;)

Lin

tinknocker

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 05:16:32 AM »

Hi Lupac,

I too researched early church teachings as a tool to contradict the teachings we see being taught today in the churches. I came across this but for the life of me I don't remember where.

There were six theological schools around 300-400AD, 4-taught universal reconciliation, 1-taught complete annihilation, and 1-taught eternal punishment.

I found this to be useful when I was debating with my ex-pastor (before I left the church)  ;D

tinknocker

F@lgn0n

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 07:13:03 AM »

Or perhaps we could it with actual *real* humility  (assuming that 'it' , whatever 'it' is, even needs to be done, at all)
:)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 07:16:38 AM by F@lgn0n »

daywalker

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 01:58:44 PM »

Lupac,

You have to keep in mind that as Christianity grew, many of the converts were 'former' pagans; the pagans had all sorts of strange rituals and myths, and many who did convert to Christianity still kept some or perhaps much of their former traditions. We see this especially from the time that Rome declared Christianity as their official religion. In order for this new religion and Roman church to grow and become powerful, many pagans were allowed to come in and become teachers, bishops, and priests, without having to deny their former pagan beliefs.

So, therefore, it's no surprise that there should be differences of opinions between the Early Church Fathers; men like Augustine and Tertullian did belief in endless torture by fire; while men like Origen and his followers opposed them and believed in an eventual "restitution of all" [Acts 3:19-21]. But at the same time, all these men where likewise guilty of believing in other pagan doctrines, not supported by Scripture.

In all this, I concur with the advice of Marques and others who posted before me: All that really matters is what Jesus Christ and His Apostles taught us. All that matters is what the Scriptures teach.

Daywalker  8)

onelovedread

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 06:47:53 PM »

I love your answer - "tough love" Marques. Hey, you've got to do what you gotta do as long as it's from a motive of love. "Lupac's taking it like a man" (lol) I often wish I'd have gotten some of that when I was younger. I just feel led to go back again to Ray's teachings over and over, studying them and reflecting on the scriptures that so powerfully underline his points. I feel inspired to really get into the Word, to unlearn all the erroneous doctrines of "Christianity" and to allow God's spirit to truly fill me. BTW, One day I want to meet up with all of you guys in person!

Lupac

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 07:09:26 PM »

Lupac,

You have to keep in mind that as Christianity grew, many of the converts were 'former' pagans; the pagans had all sorts of strange rituals and myths, and many who did convert to Christianity still kept some or perhaps much of their former traditions. We see this especially from the time that Rome declared Christianity as their official religion. In order for this new religion and Roman church to grow and become powerful, many pagans were allowed to come in and become teachers, bishops, and priests, without having to deny their former pagan beliefs.

So, therefore, it's no surprise that there should be differences of opinions between the Early Church Fathers; men like Augustine and Tertullian did belief in endless torture by fire; while men like Origen and his followers opposed them and believed in an eventual "restitution of all" [Acts 3:19-21]. But at the same time, all these men where likewise guilty of believing in other pagan doctrines, not supported by Scripture.

In all this, I concur with the advice of Marques and others who posted before me: All that really matters is what Jesus Christ and His Apostles taught us. All that matters is what the Scriptures teach.

Daywalker  8)

You're right. I was thinking more of the people right after the apostles. But I realize now that the apostles are it. They're the only ones who got it right.

daywalker

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 10:14:17 PM »

You're right. I was thinking more of the people right after the apostles. But I realize now that the apostles are it. They're the only ones who got it right.

I wouldn't necessarily say that they were it.. as some did stand by the apostles. But, yes, I would stick with their teachings contained in the New Testament, rather than the many other epistles that didn't make it into the Bible. Read them for historical education, if you'd like, but be sure to consult the Scriptures before accepting something as "the Truth".

Here's a few sections of Scripture where Christ and the Apostles warn their followers [and us] of Church Apostasy:

Matthew 24:5 For many shall be coming in My name, saying, 'I [Jesus] am the Christ!' and shall be deceiving many.

verse 24 For roused shall be false christs and false prophets, and they shall be giving great signs and miracles, so as to deceive, if possible, even the chosen.

Mark 7:7 Yet in vain are they revering Me, teaching for teachings the directions of men.

Acts 20:27 for under no circumstances do I [Paul] shrink from informing you of the entire counsel of God.
28 Take heed to yourselves and to the entire flocklet, among which the holy spirit appointed you supervisors, to be shepherding the ecclesia of God, which He procures through the blood of His Own.
29 Now I am aware that, after I am out of reach, burdensome wolves will be entering among you, not sparing the flocklet.
30 And from AMONG YOURSELVES will arise men, speaking perverse things to pull away disciples after themselves.
31 Wherefore watch, remembering that for three years, night and day, I cease not admonishing each one with tears.
32 And now I am committing you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to edify and give the enjoyment of an allotment among all who have been hallowed.

II Corinthians 11:13 For such are false apostles, fraudulent workers, being transfigured into apostles of Christ.
14 And no marvel, for Satan himself is being transfigured into a messenger of light.
15 It is no great thing, then, if his servants also are being transfigured as dispensers of righteousness -- whose consummation shall be according to their acts.

II Peter 2:1 Yet there came to be false prophets also among the people, as AMONG YOU ALSO there WILL BE false teachers who will be smuggling in destructive sects, even disowning the Owner Who buys them, bringing on themselves swift destruction."
2 And many will be following out their wantonness, because of whom the glory of the truth will be calumniated,
3 and in greed, with suave words, they will traffic in you, whose judgment of old is not idling, and their destruction is not nodding

These are just a few of many warnings all throughout the Scriptures...

Daywalker  8)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 17 queries.