bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prison and tribulation, REV 2:10  (Read 8106 times)

Amrhrasach

Prison and tribulation, REV 2:10
« on: January 18, 2010, 01:32:22 PM »

Must be the week for asking questions about ‘prison’.   ;)

The Lake of Fire - PART VI   TWO JUDGMENTS BY FIRE

THE LIFE OF A BELIEVER

Let’s see again just what is involved in living the live of a believer:

7. Fear NONE of those things which you shall suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that you may be tried; and you shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give you a CROWN OF LIFE" (Rev. 2:10).

There we have a very brief overview of the life of a believer. Is it not obvious that the life of a believer consists of a whole lot more than just "believing" that Jesus is the Christ?

http://bible-truths.com/lake6.html

“: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that you may be tried; and you shall have tribulation ten days”

Does anyone have an explanation of the significance for the above?  ...specifically “prison” and “tribulation” and “10 days”?       Since Ray is explaining that these things (1-7) are, or could be, present in the life of a believer…..not all but ‘some’…..could be tried in such a way.   What prison is it speaking of here?   Is this simply depicting ‘trials or tribulation’ in a general sense?

Gary

Kat

Re: Prison and tribulation, REV 2:10
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 02:19:11 PM »

Hi Gary,

Rev 2:10  Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.

Well I can tell you what this means to me.  Surely I went into the churches that I attended voluntarily, but I did not feel like I could leave.  I can remember how conflicted I was, as I was not happy at all towards the end.  The Bible was quite clear that we had to be in His church and could "not forsake the assembling of ourselves together," (Heb 10:25).  I learned that real well in WWCOG.  I was so blind and it was like being between a rock and a hard place, indeed it was like prison.  What better place for Satan to keep someone from finding the truth than in Babylon.  I wanted to leave, badly, but I believed I would be turning my back on God by leaving 'church'  :-\  so I stayed, for many years... until I found Ray's site and my eyes were opened. 

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Amrhrasach

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 02:29:40 PM »

What better place for Satan to keep someone from finding the truth than in Babylon. 
mercy, peace and love
Kat

Hadn't thought about it that way Kat.   Ray has that weaved throughout but I didn't put it together specifically with Rev 2:10.  Good observation.

Thanks.

Gary

Marky Mark

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 05:53:11 PM »

Hello Gary.

I believe that if anyone is not Spiritually minded and doing the things of God in a way which is consistent with the Truths of the Spirit,then,to me at least, that would be a prison of the heart and mind[a carnal way of thinking]. Of course the only One with the key to freedom from that prison is Jesus the Christ.

John 8;32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

John 8;36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Do I hear an Amen. ;D

Peace...Mark

daywalker

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 02:07:38 PM »

What does it mean to be in Prison?

Prison:

n.
1. A place for the confinement of persons in lawful detention, especially persons convicted of crimes.
2. A place or condition of confinement or forcible restraint.
3. A state of imprisonment or captivity.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/prison

When a person is in 'prison', they are locked up, generally in a four-walled cell; and there is essentially, no escape. Spiritually it could imply feeling trapped, hopeless, with seemingly no way out; perhaps even the fear that you may be put to death. We know that the Apostles were literally thrown into prisons. And should the Church ever regain the power it once had, no doubt, some or many of us could risk being literally thrown into prison.

But even so, we can be put in Spiritual prison. Actually, I kinda feel like that right now, myself. I'm at this road block, that I can't seem to climb over, and when I turn left another road block; and to the right, another road block. I have the option to retreat, but why on earth would I wanna do that? I'm just at the point right now where I'm just frustrated with many things; and I'm a little angry with God, because though I know He hears me, He, for whatever reason, isn't responding. I know there's a reason for it, and I know that He knows what He's doing; but as the helpless little human being it can get a little frustrating waiting for some type of answer...

...Perhaps that's why I just suddenly typed all this stuff when I wasn't planning on it? Lol

Daywalker  8)

Patrick

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 02:54:56 PM »

Quote from: daywalker

I'm at this road block, that I can't seem to climb over, and when I turn left another road block; and to the right, another road block. I have the option to retreat, but why on earth would I wanna do that? I'm just at the point right now where I'm just frustrated with many things; and I'm a little angry with God, because though I know He hears me, He, for whatever reason, isn't responding. I know there's a reason for it, and I know that He knows what He's doing; but as the helpless little human being it can get a little frustrating waiting for some type of answer...

...Perhaps that's why I just suddenly typed all this stuff when I wasn't planning on it? Lol

Daywalker  8)

Reminds me of Balaam and his donkey. 

Num 22:26  And the angel of the LORD went further, and stood in a narrow place, where was no way to turn either to the right hand or to the left.
The donkey had no choice but to fall down at this point!
Num 22:31  Then the LORD opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand; and he bowed down his head, and fell flat on his face.

I fell like that myself Daywalker; can't go straight, can't go left, can't go right, can't backup. So maybe just fall down and pray God opens my eyes! 

daywalker

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 05:15:51 PM »

Quote from: daywalker

I'm at this road block, that I can't seem to climb over, and when I turn left another road block; and to the right, another road block. I have the option to retreat, but why on earth would I wanna do that? I'm just at the point right now where I'm just frustrated with many things; and I'm a little angry with God, because though I know He hears me, He, for whatever reason, isn't responding. I know there's a reason for it, and I know that He knows what He's doing; but as the helpless little human being it can get a little frustrating waiting for some type of answer...

Daywalker  8)

Reminds me of Balaam and his donkey. 

Num 22:26  And the angel of the LORD went further, and stood in a narrow place, where was no way to turn either to the right hand or to the left.
The donkey had no choice but to fall down at this point!
Num 22:31  Then the LORD opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand; and he bowed down his head, and fell flat on his face.

I fell like that myself Daywalker; can't go straight, can't go left, can't go right, can't backup. So maybe just fall down and pray God opens my eyes! 

Wow, I've never read [nor heard] that story! Thanks for sharing that, Patrick! And thanks for the advice too  ;D

G. Driggs

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 09:49:05 PM »

A friend of mine (who does not believe in God) asked me about this very verse a few days ago. He said he was bored and noticed a bible and decided to read Revelation. I gave him a similar explanation that Kat gave you. I also added that maybe it had to do with staying faithful until the end, no matter how bad things seem to get. No doubt tribulation is a good thing, and the Elect are appointed to it. I have been thinking about this very verse ever since, so to see it here being posted today, I thought hmm interesting.

I guess my question is, which is it? Is this "prison" that is being referred to in Rev. 2:10 the Babylonian church, or is it the trials and tribulations we must overcome? Or can it be both? It really seems Ray teaches that it is both. I guess I ask this because I too have been going through alot lately, not that I speak out of want, because we are told to rejoice in our tribulations. I must admit it has been very tough lately, to the point I want to give up at times. But I'm hanging in there because of verses like this. I was looking for a spiritual match for Rev. 2:10 and not sure if I found it, but here it is.

Rev 2:10  Don't be afraid of what you are about to suffer. Look, the Devil is about to throw some of you into prison to test you, and you will have tribulation for 10 days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.
Rev 2:11  "Anyone who has an ear should listen to what the Spirit says to the churches. The victor will never be harmed by the second death.

Jas 1:2  Consider it a great joy, my brothers, whenever you experience various trials,
Jas 1:3  knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.
Jas 1:4  But endurance must do its complete work, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing.

Jas 1:12  Blessed is a man who endures trials, because when he passes the test he will receive the crown of life that He has promised to those who love Him.

I also consider that many of you are going through a lot right now too, endure to the end, stay faithful.

1Pe 5:8  Control yourselves. Be on your guard. Your enemy the devil is like a roaring lion. He prowls around looking for someone to chew up and swallow.
1Pe 5:9  Stand up to him. Stand firm in what you believe. All over the world you know that your brothers and sisters are going through the same kind of suffering.

Great topic Gary, and thanks to all who contribute.

Peace, G.Driggs
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 09:59:02 PM by G. Driggs »

Kat

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 11:29:09 PM »

Hi G. Driggs,

I think you make a good point, so I looked to see what Ray has said about 'prison.'  The first excerpt is from the article 'Gehenna Fire Judgment.'   The second excerpt is from the article 'The Sermon On The Mount is for You.'

http://bible-truths.com/lake16-D4.htm -----------

"For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world."

And we all know what chastening is. We know that Jesus uses His spiritual "judging," spiritual "council," spiritual "Gehenna fire," and spiritual "prison," to chasten us and correct us and perfect us.
v
v
"For the Father judges no man, but has committed all judgment unto the Son" (John 5:22).

And so, The Judgment, the High Council, Gehenna fire, and prison, are the Judgments of Jesus Christ, and no one else. They are His SPIRITUAL JUDGMENTS. And since they are spiritual, few indeed, have even a clue as to what they are and how they are administered. Jesus said if one of His disciples is angry with a brother, they would be in danger of the Judgment. Judgment (Gk: krisis-Tribunal, justice, divine law). Jesus has such a tribunal:

"For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he has done, whether it be good or bad" (II Cor. 5:10).

http://bible-truths.com/lake16-D3.htm -----

The first four judgments of Jesus in His Sermon revolve around "brothers" in Christ who "do the will of God." And even calling a brother "you fool," will bring judgment of Jesus on your life. But what about the last one-"prison?" Does Jesus put us in prison? Yes, He certainly does. I can personally vouch for this one, and maybe you can too. Sometimes we are put into a position where we just can't get out. There IS NO WAY OUT. We will physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually struggle for a way out, but there is no way out. You are in spiritual prison! And Jesus ONLY has the keys.

These four examples of Christ's judgments in His Elect can come in so many varied and over-lapping circumstances that it may be impossible at any given time to tell exactly which if any of these God is using for your benefit at any particular time. Jesus' personalized uses of judgment, high council, Gehenna, and prison, are obviously geared to fit each individual according to each needed correction.

I do believe, however, that those of us who have been experiencing Jesus' judgments in our lives, can attest to the fact that we can now recognize many of these "strange" things in our lives, as being judgments from God. Have you never experienced a "FIERY trail" such as Peter reminds us of? (I Pet.4:12). As badly as we want these trials to be over, we nonetheless, need to be reminded that these trails are good for us, producing "patience"&"righteousness."

Here is a Scripture that I continually remind myself and others of, when life gets a little hard to bear:

"Now no chastening for the present seems to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby" (Heb. 12:11).
--------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Amrhrasach

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 12:10:11 PM »

Hi G. Driggs,

I think you make a good point, so I looked to see what Ray has said about 'prison.'  The first excerpt is from the article 'Gehenna Fire Judgment.'   The second excerpt is from the article 'The Sermon On The Mount is for You.'

http://bible-truths.com/lake16-D4.htm -----------

And so, The Judgment, the High Council, Gehenna fire, and prison, are the Judgments of Jesus Christ, and no one else. They are His SPIRITUAL JUDGMENTS. And since they are spiritual, few indeed, have even a clue as to what they are and how they are administered. Jesus has such a tribunal:

"For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he has done, whether it be good or bad" (II Cor. 5:10).

http://bible-truths.com/lake16-D3.htm -----

But what about the last one-"prison?" Does Jesus put us in prison? Yes, He certainly does. I can personally vouch for this one, and maybe you can too. Sometimes we are put into a position where we just can't get out. There IS NO WAY OUT. We will physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually struggle for a way out, but there is no way out. You are in spiritual prison! And Jesus ONLY has the keys.

"Now no chastening for the present seems to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby" (Heb. 12:11).
--------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Sorry for the late reply folks, I was away from a pc yesterday.  Thank you all for your replys and may God use the circumstances at present to grow you and bless each of you according to his will. 

And Kat, I had forgotten completely about the excerpt you've brought forward.  P-E-R-F-E-C-T!!!  Thank you for that.   As I was reading yesterday the following reminded me how GOD has truly blessed us all by having access to Ray's spiritual mind and heart.

The Lake of Fire - PART VII
THE SEVEN SYMBOLIC CHURCHES OF REVELATION
 FIRST: A SPIRITUAL SIDEBAR
Yet others of you are saying to yourselves: "Wow, this is MARVELOUS stuff! It is amazing how God has hid the truths of His plan of salvation for the world, from the world, and yet when one follows His instructions in unlocking these mysteries, IT ALL MAKES PERFECT SENSE AND ALL THE SCRIPTURES HARMONIZE BEAUTIFULLY!"

http://bible-truths.com/lake7.html

Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.