bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Natural Winter Season Remedies  (Read 5462 times)

Kat

Natural Winter Season Remedies
« on: January 23, 2010, 01:55:17 PM »

HEALTHY NATURAL REMEDIES FOR THE WINTER SEASON

The use of herbs is a time-honored approach to strengthening the body and treating disease. Herbs can ease coughs, congestion, and sore throats, and some may help prevent illness altogether, says Vermont-based herbalist Betzy Bancroft. Seek out teas, herbal extracts and dried herbs at natural-foods stores and from online sources.  However be aware they can trigger side effects and can interact with other herbs, supplements or medications. For these reasons, herbs should be taken with care.

Cough Control Tea

For natural, reliable cough relief, try a tea recipe featuring thyme, which alleviates chest congestion and supports respiratory function, along with throat-soothing honey, sage, and vitamin-C-rich lemon. Loaded with antibacterial compounds, fresh or dried thyme (Thymus vulgaris) is a cold-season powerhouse.

For natural, reliable cough relief, try a tea recipe recommended by Tieraona Low Dog, M.D., director of education at the University of Arizona's Program in Intergrative Medicine. It features thyme, which alleviates chest congestion and supports respiratory function, along with throat-soothing honey, sage, and vitamin-C-rich lemon.

tea recipe:
1. Pour hot water over 2 teaspoons organic lemon rinds, 1 teaspoon sage, and 1/2 teaspoon thyme. (Dried or fresh herbs can be used.)
2. Cover and steep for 15 minutes.
3. Strain tea, then add juice of 1/2 lemon and 1 tablespoon honey.
4. Drink two to three cups daily for cough relief.

To make a steam - pour near-boiling water into a pot. Add a pinch of fresh or dried thyme, turn off heat, and create a tent by draping a towel over your head and the pot. Breathe in steam for five minutes.

Honey

Research suggests that honey may be more effective than over-the-counter cough syrup at quelling nighttime coughing. Use a medicinal-grade variety such as manuka honey and take up to 2 teaspoonfuls at bedtime.

Violet

Violet's action as a bronchial remedy stands out. The flowers, leaves, and root of the plant contain saponin, known to encourage expectoration. Violet works internally as a treatment for respiratory-tract troubles such as excess mucus, coughs, cold symptoms, and inflammation, making it a valuable companion as we head into the cold and flu season.  Modern clinical trials have since shown antibacterial effects in several species of violet.

tea recipe:
Fill a quart-size mason jar with clean, freshly picked violet leaves or 6 teaspoons dried violet (available at herb stores or online). Add boiling water and cover. Let sit overnight. Strain and discard leaves. Drink at room temperature throughout the following day.

Warm liquids -- Chicken soup and warm liquids (broth, tea) can help soothe a sore throat and loosen mucus, which in turn helps ease congestion from the flu.

Echinacea

If you feel a cold coming on, consider reaching for this age-old remedy. A 2007 meta-analysis showed that the herb can reduce cold symptoms. Aim for three grams daily in tincture or capsule form, starting at the first sign of symptoms.

Eucalyptus

Used in many remedies to treat cold and flu symptoms, particularly cough. It can be found in many lozenges, cough syrups, and vapor baths throughout the United States and Europe. Fresh leaves can be used in teas and gargles to soothe sore throats. Ointments containing eucalyptus leaves are also applied to the nose and chest to relieve congestion and loosen phlegm.

Elder or Elderberry

By lessening congestion and possibly increasing perspiration, elder may help reduce the symptoms of colds and flu. One study suggested that using a standardized elderberry extract, Sambucol, could shorten the duration of flu by about three days.

Slippery Elm

To soothe a sore throat, try slippery elm, which can help ease pain by coating irritated tissue. Look for slippery elm lozenges and suck on them as needed.

Drink Cranberry Juice

Cranberries contain a substance that appears to keep bacteria from sticking to the walls of the urinary tract and has been shown to help prevent UTIs. Because cranberry cocktail is high in sugar, drink unsweetened juice diluted with water or take capsules of powdered cranberry extract.

Ginger

The volatile oils in ginger have long made it a useful herbal remedy for nasal and chest congestion. Pour 2 cups of boiling water over a 1-inch piece of peeled, grated ginger; steep for 10 minutes; and strain. Add a pinch or two of cayenne pepper to the water and drink as needed.

Cayenne Pepper

To warm up cold feet, sprinkle a bit of cayenne pepper into your socks. This folk remedy may help warm your toes by increasing circulation and improving blood flow.

Blackberry

For that most unpleasant of stomach upsets, diarrhea, blackberry root tincture can help. This herb contains tannins, substances that have astringent effects on the intestinal lining. Look for the tincture at health-food stores or online and take 1 teaspoon of it in water every two to four hours until symptoms subside.

Peppermint

Peppermint is widely used to treat cold and flu symptoms. Its main active agent, menthol, is a good decongestants. Menthol also thins mucus and works as an expectorant, meaning that it helps loosen and break up phlegm. It is soothing and calming for sore throats and dry coughs as well.

Ease occasional indigestion by sipping a cup of peppermint tea after your meal. Peppermint improves the flow of bile, which moves food through the digestive tract more quickly. Use peppermint with caution if you have acid reflux; it can make that problem worse.

Green Tea

Green tea may also be useful in inflammatory diseases, such as arthritis. Research indicates that green tea may benefit arthritis by reducing inflammation and slowing cartilage breakdown. Chemicals found in green tea may also be effective in preventing symptoms of colds and influenza

Hot or iced, green tea can help rev up your workout. Its catechins, antioxidants, and caffeine help increase the metabolic generation of heat. Drink a cup about 10 minutes before exercising.

Making Medicinal Teas

Single Ingredient Teas:
Leaves and Flowers - Pour a quart of boiling water over 4 tablespoons of the herb, cover and steep for 20 minutes, and strain.

Roots, Berries, or Bark - Simmer 4 tablespoons for 20 minutes, then strain.

Tea Blends - For teas that call for multiple ingredients, you'll save time by making a large batch of dried herbs.
To make a blend, follow the ratio in the recipe, using 1 ounce of dried herb per "part"; for example, if a formula calls for one part each of nettle and oat tops and 1.4 part peppermint, combine 1 ounce each of the first two ingredients with 1.4 ounce of the last. Mix well, and store your blend in an airtight glass container.

To make a quart of tea, a good daily dose for many conditions, pour boiling water over 4 tablespoons of the mixture in a quart-sized heat-proof jar (such as a Mason jar). Cover and steep for at least 20 minutes. Strain the herbs out. Will keep refrigerated for two to three days.

Last but not least - Wash Up

To fend off colds and keep germs at bay, washing your hands well and often is the best step you can take. Use plain soap and warm water and scrub for as long as it takes to sing "Happy Birthday to You" twice.
http://www.wholeliving.com/whole-health

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 02:48:42 PM by Kat »

Linny

Re: Natural Winter Season Remedies
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »

Excellent Kat!

Patrick

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 02:43:31 PM »

Cayenne pepper in your socks?  ;D

As a child, my Mom would give me honey & a little whiskey mixed together for coughs.

CranActin is a good source of cranberry extract; I also mix it, and acidophilus, in my cat's food.

Thanks, Kat!

EKnight

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 02:54:40 PM »

My feet are always cold so I may try the pepper in the socks trick.  :D

Eileen

Kat

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 02:59:44 PM »

Hi Patrick,

Cayenne pepper in your socks?

Right Eileen, if it works, why not  ;)  
The only reason I can think that people would give whiskey to kids as medicine, is because 80-100 proof vodka is used to make tinctures and i guess they just think it's a necessary ingredient in all remedies.

Give it to the cat?  Hey that's a good idea  8)

Kat

Patrick

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 03:29:49 PM »

My Vet told me to mix cranberry extract in the cat's food, after a very expensive bout with UTI!
Dennis V. actually turned me on to acidophilus a few years ago.

Kat

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 03:46:42 PM »

Okay Patrick, I've got some info for us all on acidophilus.

Lactobacillus acidophilus (L. acidophilus) is the most commonly used probiotic, or "friendly" bacteria. Many healthy bacteria live in the intestines and vagina, where they protect against "bad" bacteria that can cause disease. They do this is a couple of ways: for example, when L. acidophilus breaks down food in the intestine, several substances are formed (such as lactic acid and hydrogen peroxide) that create an unfriendly environment for "bad" bacteria. Probiotics are often suggested as a supplement when you take antibiotics. Antibiotics kill bacteria, but don't discriminate between "friendly" and "unfriendly" organisms, so the balance between good and bad bacteria in the intestines can be upset. It is thought that taking probiotics helps restore the healthy balance of bacteria.

I've been getting a yogurt drink Activia or Danactive, both of these have probiotic in it.

Kat

Linny

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 06:26:35 PM »

I buy a natural probiotic and take it daily. 9 probiotics in a day are equivilent to an antibiotic. What I would use if I needed it as we don't take antibiotics. (would only use as a last resort)People I know who do will take lots of probiotics afterwards to get the good bacteria back.

I would love to start making my own Kefir with raw milk. A wonderful source of natural probiotic.

About the cayenne pepper in your socks. I read a suggestion saying you put on a pair of thin socks and then put the cayenne pepper in the next pair you put on so it isn't directly on your feet.

I also just started taking a blend of it to clean out my heart. I felt a difference in 2 days!

Mixing cayenne and castor oil is supposed to be great for your painful joints.

And I have read more than one doctor say that cayenne pepper will stop a heart attack.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.