bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Not tempted by God  (Read 13937 times)

Roy Martin

Not tempted by God
« on: February 01, 2010, 09:16:16 AM »

James 1:13 says God never tempts, but God put the tree of good and evil in the garden and told them not to eat of it.
 To me this seems like a temptation. Was the tree not a temptation even before Satan deceived them?
He put it right in the middle of the garden like a shiny toy to a child, singled it out by bringing their attention to it.
 If I place a shiny toy or object in front of a child, then I am tempting that child. If I don't want the kid to touch it then I simply don't put it down in front of them, but it seems that God did tempt them with this tree. I'm sure there is an explanation for this, but I don't know what it is.

Roy
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 09:33:45 AM by Roy Martin »

Samson

Re: Not tempted by God
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 09:45:21 AM »

James 1:13 says God never tempts, but God put the tree of good and evil in the garden and told them not to eat of it.
 To me this seems like a temptation. Was the tree not a temptation even before Satan deceived them?
He put it right in the middle of the garden like a shiny toy to a child, singled it out by bringing their attention to it.
 If I place a shiny toy or object in front of a child, then I am tempting that child. If I don't want the kid to touch it then I simply don't put it down in front of them, but it seems that God did tempt them with this tree. I'm sure there is an explanation for this, but I don't know what it is.

Roy

Hi Roy,

Actually, Satan(The Serpent) tempted them, because that's his purpose and they were tempted by their own desire(Each one is drawn out and enticed by THEIR OWN DESIRE. Read: James. 1:14,15; too.) Also read an Email by Ray that I included below, I think it might help.

Sir,

Gods first "will" if you can remember was when he created Adam and Eve.  He didn't "will" for them to sin. But what did they do? What did he do about it? He banished them from his presence in the Garden of Eden!

Think about it! He did not kick them out then bring them back, there were no more chances, once God lets you out, your not getting back in. THINK about it.

[Ray replies]

Well of course we are getting into a mature subject here, and I certainly would not expect Sunday School children to understand it, it does take some spiritual maturity.

God ABSOLUTELY has raised up people for the EXPRESS PURPOSE OF SINNING so that God could show His power in the earth by simply CONTRAST. See Rom. Chapter nine. (I notice that you are not one to be burdened by quoting Scriptures to back up your statement). Pharaoh was raised up for the EXPRESS purpose of GOING AGAINST God's will and SINNING so that God could then DESTROY HIM. Read it. Paul plainly says so. Stop using human arguments and reasoning. If you can't show me by the Scriptures, then you can't show me.

God planted the true of the knowledge of good and evil, not Satan. And God planted it right in the midst of the Garden where Adam and Eve would surely see it. God watched as Satan maneuvered his way to Eve so as to deceive her. God watched the whole thing! Stop believing that God is surprised or shocked by the actions of His creatures--He is NOT!   Besides, the tree contained the knowledge of  GOOD! Or did you never notice that? It was GOOD that they ate of the tree. It was GOOD that they disobeyed God. God   KNEW THAT THEY WOULD SIN AND DISOBEY FROM LONG BEFORE HE EVER CREATED THEM. 

How stupid do you think God is?  It is blasphemy the way people talk about God and give Him no more reasoning powers or abilities than sinful men. It is a SHAME. God knew exactly was HE was doing and He knew exactly everything that Adam and Eve WOULD DO. He is  GOD. He knows ALL. Must I quote you all these simple Scriptures that most Sunday School children already know?

The Lamb of God was "slain from the FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD," the Scriptures tell us. Not from the "sin of Eve."  God made provision for the salvation of Adam and Eve BEFORE HE EVER CREATED THEM--that is Scripture! That is not mans' theories!  I don't have time or space to explain the whole plan of salvation to you in one e-mail. Read ALL of my letters to Kennedy and Hagee, then write me if you have a question.

One last thought for you. God DID create men spiritually weak so that they cannot resist sin. "ALL have sinned..."It obviously IS God's will that for a time we go AGAINST His will. But. . .BUT, NO ONE EVER goes against God's "INTENTION." There is a giant difference. Paul's detractors ask in Roman's nine, "For who has gone against God's INTENTION?" And the answer is, absolutely NO ONE. It could not even BE God's will that all be saved, unless first ALL ARE LOST! 

If only theologians could come to understand that God is not running a damage control center from His throne of the universe. God is NOT picking up the pieces. He is not trying to get things back to being as good as they once were. He is not trying to figure out how to outsmart Satan. He is not falling behind, numerically, as far as how many will be saved and how many will be lost. God is far smarter and wiser and the stupid men who come up with these insane and blasphemous theories and doctrines.

God has a PLAN. (Wow, now there's a revelation for theologians). And God is working out that plan to perfection on a perfect schedule, and He will loose NOTHING! Paul tells us in Rom. 11:36 that ALL is out of God and THROUGH God and FOR God. God is creating man in His OWN IMAGE. It is a PROCESS. That process is on perfect schedule. It WILL be successful. Christ IS the saviour of the world and therefore, He WILL SAVE THE WORLD. How can you be a minister of the gospel and doubt God's ability to save all of His children? That's insane.

Anyway, I gotta go, I have many more e-mails to answer.

May God guide you into His perfect will.

Sincerely, Ray

Kind Regards, Samson.

mmijares

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 11:27:19 AM »

Hi Roy,

In my understanding, God didn't make a mistake in putting the tree of knowledge of good and evil in the very center of the garden.  Making it desirable is also not a mistake or a sin, for it served its purpose.  Man had to it the fruit to know/understand/experience both good and evil.  Man was driven by his own lust and there was nothing he could do but to satisfy his desire.  And God wasn't wrong either in giving man a lustful heart.

So, did God tempt man?  I don't think so for the Scripture says that God tempts no man.  It was "automatic" for man to eat the fruit.

Did the father tempt the child when he put a shiny toy in front of a child?  This analogy must be defined first by several premises - What was the father's intention?  Was the child desirous of shiny toys?  What was the shiny toy's ultimate purpose?

Just my two cents.

-Mijares  :)

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 12:46:41 PM »

Roy, James 1 :13 say,  When someone is tempted, he should not say, "I am being tempted by God," because God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone.
God does not tempt anyone.

We are tempted though our weak spiritual condition that God has created us to endure, caused us to suffer for the purpose that God makes us to finally overcome through the gift of His Spirit.  8)

Rom 8:20  for to vanity was the creation made subject--not of its will, but because of Him who did subject it --in hope,
Rom 8:21  that also the creation itself shall be set free from the servitude of the corruption to the liberty of the glory of the children of God;

And it is this purification of the physical, carnal, temporal Adam, into the spiritual, holy, eternal Christ, that requires severe heat and pressure—a real life experience of overcoming EVIL with GOOD. Ref : LOF part 15C

Arc

Roy Martin

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 04:01:05 PM »

I'm not by any means suggesting God tempted them, but it does appear that he set them up for it.

Roy

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 04:07:57 PM »

I reckon He did, Roy.  We weren't created for ease in the garden.  Thy will be done, Thy Kingdom come.  That's the meaning of Life.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 04:22:33 PM »

One other thought in relation to this, doesn’t God sometimes use trickery or deceit?  Doesn’t He sometimes blind people so that they can’t see the truth?  All the time. L Ray Smith May2008 Bible Study Does a Sovereign God ever change?

Marky Mark

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »

Hi Deborah.

If you dont mind, I went ahead and posted the rest of the paper on God deceiving people that your caption leads into...   Some good stuff.

DOES A SOVEREIGN GOD EVER CHANGE? . Biblestudy May 2008

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=mf4cif8ik1b8ib0al9n62fth55&topic=7714.0

DOES GOD HIMSELF DECEIVE?

One other thought in relation to this, doesn’t God sometimes use trickery or deceit?  Doesn’t He sometimes blind people so that they can’t see the truth?  All the time.  But that has nothing to do with the fact that He doesn’t change and that He doesn’t repent or admit that He made mistakes or tried to do it a better way.  It has nothing to do with any of that.  

Yes He does that.  Now that’s something again that is absolutely a Biblical truth.  Things that aren’t true, it seems that the church wants to believe.  But the things that are absolutely true, they don’t want to believe.  They say, ‘God would never deceive people on purpose.’  Of course He does.  

Matt 13:10  And the disciples came and said to Him, "Why do You speak to them in parables?"
Mat 13:14  And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
Mat 13:15  For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

[Question: why does He do that?]  Because He has a purpose and that would take another whole Bible study to cover that.  

God Himself never lies, but let’s go a little further than that.  Does He use those that do lie?  Absolutely.  Satan is a liar and the father of it.  He uses Satan.  I think on four occasions in the Old Testament we have lying spirits.  On one occasion a lying spirit said;

2 Ch 18:21  And he said, I will go out, and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets…

He said I’ll go and lie to them and pretend to be a prophet.

v. 21 …And the LORD said… go out, and do so.

He said do it, lie to them.  But God doesn’t lie.  Does He use lying spirits?  Yes.  Does God Himself deceive?  

2 Thess 2:10  …because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

They couldn’t receive the love of the truth.  How could anybody receive the love of the truth unless God gives it to you?  How can any come to Christ except God drags them?  How can any choose Christ, He says you don’t choose Me, I choose you.  All of these Scriptures are true.  You can’t just say, ‘well I don’t believe that.’  Well then you don’t believe the Scriptures, I understand.

v. 11  And for this cause…

Why?  Because they didn’t have a love for the truth, but they couldn’t have a love for the truth.  And God says, I know that.  Christ says they will hear these parables, but they won’t know what I’m talking about, because if they did, they would see their sins they would repent and I would heal them.  Well isn’t that what you want them to do Jesus?  No!  Here is another example of the answer.  

v. 11  …God shall send them strong delusion (That Greek word means falsehood, deceit), that they should believe a lie:

There it is.  You say, ‘God doesn’t do that.’  Yes He does.  But He doesn’t change and He doesn’t lie.  We have to get these things straight.  But why would He use deceit?  There is a great purpose for it.  He doesn’t make people be deceived, He sends a strong delusion and they delude themselves.  

God never made a man lust after a woman, never.  He just made their psyche and their makeup, so that they really like the curves of a female body.  Then when men go to the sea shore… all by themselves, they don’t need any help from God at all or anybody saying, ‘do it, do it, lust after that girl in a bikini over there, do it.’  It’s like falling off a log, it’s easy.  Unless God trains you not to do that and it’s hard, because it’s a spiritual warfare.

In case somebody says, ‘I don’t like that God of the Old Testament.  I like the Jesus of the New Testament.’  

John 10:30  I and My Father are one.

If you don’t like the God of the Old Testament, you don’t like Christ either.  It is amazing what you learn when you look at all the words.  

Let’s turn to Luke.  I like this one in Luke, people don’t catch this one.  They just don’t catch it, they read it and they never catch it.  I’m not saying I’m the only one that caught this, but I’m the only one I ever knew that caught this.  I’m sure someone else must have.  

Okay this in Luke is where after the resurrection and these two men that were disciples of Christ were going to Emmaus.  Because they thought the jig was up and somebody had stole His body or something.  

So Christ comes along and says ‘why are you so downcast?’  They said ‘haven’t you heard?’ He said, ‘heard what?’  They said, ‘we believe that this guy was the Messiah and they killed Him and besides all that today is the third day and the jig is up, it all over.’  So then He says to them;

Luke 24:27  And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, He expounded unto them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself.
v. 28  And they drew nigh unto the village, whither they went: and He (Jesus) made as though He would have gone further.
v. 29  But they constrained Him, saying, Abide with us: for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent. And He went in to tarry with them.

Of course they wanted to learn more about the Scriptures too and they thought this guy is amazing.  But did you catch that?  “He made as though He would have gone further.”  Did Jesus Christ intend on going further that night?  No.  Did He pretend that He was going to keep going on down the road?  Yes.  Is that a little deceitful?  Yes.  Was it a good thing?  Yes.  

They said, ‘Where are you going?’  He said, ‘On down the road here.’  And they, ‘no no it’s late, come on in with us and we will get something to eat and chew the rag for a while,’ and so on.  And He said, ‘Oh, okay.’  He knew that they would say that.  He had got them so excided about the Scriptures, He knew they weren’t just going to say, ‘Oh okay good bye, see ya, that was interesting.’  They wanted more and He knew that.  But He wanted them to desire and say, ‘no no we want to hear more come on in.’  So He pretended, He made like He was going further.

Peace...Mark
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 04:47:14 PM by Marky Mark »

Roy Martin

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 04:56:56 PM »

Mark that was just most excellent. That's my kind of God. He knows how to play a serious game.
 I really like the way Ray put all of that. Great stuff.

Roy

Marky Mark

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 05:25:19 PM »

He knows how to play a serious game.

Hi Roy,you are right.

What could be more awesome than a Father who comes to play hardball with His creation so that creation will absolutely win the prize. Yes! Abba is the ultimate coach of the ages.

All Praise & Glory To The Most High.

Peace...Mark

mmijares

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 12:06:49 AM »

I'm not by any means suggesting God tempted them, but it does appear that he set them up for it.

Roy

"If I place a shiny toy or object in front of a child, then I am tempting that child. If I don't want the kid to touch it then I simply don't put it down in front of them.."

But your above analogy suggested that God tempted man, wasn't it?

mmijares

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 12:12:23 AM »

I reckon He did, Roy.  We weren't created for ease in the garden.  Thy will be done, Thy Kingdom come.  That's the meaning of Life.

Several times I heard Ray in his free will subject that God did not or will never tempt any man.

mmijares

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 12:20:32 AM »

Arcturus and Mark,

Is tempting and deceiving one and the same thing?

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 12:56:58 AM »

Several times I heard Ray in his free will subject that God did not or will never tempt any man.

My reply was to Roy's statement that God seems to have set mankind up, not that He had tempted man.  I'll go a little further and say that God created ME too weak to resist temptation forever, not just Adam.  I really have not needed much 'temptation' at all in my life--no matter the source.  I know that there is nothing good in me, and if anything good ever does bubble up from the well of my heart, it's because HE is the water of Life.

If that's not what you were talking about, then we'll meet again.   :D   
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Stacey

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 01:04:16 AM »

I really have not needed much 'temptation' at all in my life--no matter the source.  I know that there is nothing good in me, and if anything good ever does bubble up from the well of my heart, it's because HE is the water of Life.

Ain't that the truth!  :)

Ray said this somewhere " We are sining machines"  :)

No temptation required for the most part but none of it (temptation) or us is tempted by God.
Stacey

aqrinc

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 01:37:17 AM »

My reply was to Roy's statement that God seems to have set mankind up, not that He had tempted man.  I'll go a little further and say that God created ME too weak to resist temptation forever, not just Adam.  I really have not needed much 'temptation' at all in my life--no matter the source.  I know that there is nothing good in me, and if anything good ever does bubble up from the well of my heart, it's because HE is the water of Life.

Jas 1:12-15 (KJV)
12  Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
13  Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
14  But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
15  Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

george :).

mmijares

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 02:01:23 AM »

That is actually what I was talking about.... God need not to tempt us...just as you said...there is nothing good in us... and we easily succumb to the lust of our flesh.

Your statement "I reckon He (God) did"... seemed to imply that God did tempt, because Roy, in his first post, put it as "It seems that God did tempt them", and not "to have set-up mankind."

Thanks for clarification!  :)

barrabus

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 04:34:47 AM »

When I was young my parents told me not to take drugs. No matter how much I heard about how they made you feel, etc by my peers and by what I read and saw in the media, it was mainly curiosity and my rebellious nature that caused me to try them... (to eat from the tree of knowledge)... then once I'd tried them it became a temptation... (I knew I was naked)... this analogy applied to any sinful practice... I participated in... sex, drugs, drinking to excess... I think God can teach us both in the form of an allegory and thru a Historical story at the same time... I often contemplate about the nature of sin and man's sinful nature as being portrayed so well in Genesis chapter 3... I don't know exactly how to put it in words but there is definately a differance between the temptation of doing something that I have already experienced and the temptation of doing something out of curiosity... or because of my sinful nature...

Roy Martin

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 08:32:55 AM »

Mijares, I simply want to be prepared to give an account of what might be asked me.
 Since God is responsible, then I thought it interesting of all the elements involved that led up to the eating of the tree. Being made weak, the tree, Satan. God made all of them, but I didn't say God tempted.
 I believe that Ray said  Eve sinned before she ate by lusting of the tree. God put it there.
  I know what that looks like to some, just as the way they see the LOF as eternal.
To study something and question is not the same as study and doubt or unbelieving.
 I say it again that I know God didn't tempt,  because the scriptures say so. I did say it looks as though He tempted. That is not the same as suggesting He tempted.
 Mark answered very well with the link he provided.
 Now I understand something even more, in that the temptation is already in us in this weak heart just like a flower is in a plant even before the flower is seen, or a tree in the winter with no leaves to be seen ,yet they are in there, in the tree. Its the photo period of light that brings them forth, and makes them go away each year.
 The tree God placed there was merely the instrument that brought it forth like the photo period that triggers all plants to bring forth something or put away such as the leafs falling.

Roy
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 09:31:39 AM by Roy Martin »

lauriellen

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 10:02:43 AM »

great thread....and while i do agree that God himself does not tempt any man, i came accross this scripture and is very confusing to me:

Gen 22:1  And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt     
     Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.

how do we deal with these scriptures?....has ray ever addressed this particular one....it almost reminds me of what ray says about "God is love...show me a scripture that says 'God isn't love'.".....this sure seems to say that God does tempt, yet i know other scriptures say He doesn't.  help!
lauriellen
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.