bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not tempted by God  (Read 13901 times)

Roy Coates

Re: Not tempted by God
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 11:06:35 AM »

I think "tempt" in the KJV is a bit misleading. Look at a couple of other translations and maybe look at the strongs definitions.
Gen 22:1

(CLV) And it is coming, after these things, that the Elohim probes Abraham and is saying to him, "Abraham! Abraham!"And saying is he, "Behold me!"

(GNB)  Some time later God tested Abraham; he called to him, "Abraham!" And Abraham answered, "Yes, here I am!"

(GW)  Later God tested Abraham and called to him, "Abraham!" "Yes, here I am!" he answered.

(KJV)  And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.

Roy Martin

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2010, 11:06:48 AM »

Hi lauriellen,

I'm sorry for always comparing us to nature, but its just how I convey things. I'm a bit twisted from all that weed I use to smoke. You know, I few brain cells altered, or maybe just age, I don't know, but here I go again.
 Look at my avatar the oak tree. The seed just by looking at it is just a seed, but it actually is roots, branches, leafs etc.We could also get down to all of the chemical compounds, and all of the environmental influences that  causes a response on the trees part. We are exactly the same way. Its all in us, in our design. Nothing has to be added to us. Temptation is in us, and its just a matter of influence that brings it forth whether it be environmental or spiritual.
 I can reverse a plant in the flowering stage back to vegetative with artificial light. I can also force a plant to produce flowers way before its time simply by altering the light and dark cycle.
 My point here is that I'm not tempting a plant to do something. All I'm doing is altering its environment  to get it to do what I want it to do.Its in its design to react to my influence, and it can do nothing to stop me because its designed that way.I can also make a plant to be strong, and I can also make it to be weak by altering  its environment. Amazing isn't it what we can see in nature. I see God in everything I look at.

Peace
Roy

« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 11:19:44 AM by Roy Martin »

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2010, 11:24:31 AM »

Hello lauriellen

Check in with other translations.  :)

Gen 22:1  And it happened after these things that God TESTED Abraham, and said to him, Abraham! And he said, Behold me. (MKJV)

Gen 22:1  And it cometh to pass after these things that God hath TRIED Abraham, and saith unto him, `Abraham;' and he saith, `Here am I.' (YLT)

The Spirit lead Jesus into the dessert to be proven. Jesus responded as we should. He showed us the way. We enter the kingdom of God via trials, tribulation and overcoming through His Spirit that has shown us the way forward.

The temptation is when man tempts God not when God tests man. It is an error of man to try to test, prove, provoke or call God to defend Himself against man made thoughts, errors and assumptions.  :(

It is Godly when God tries and tested us but it is ungodly   for us to try or test the Lord our God.

The word tempt which is a wrong thing to do is used when man tempts God as in the following

Exo_17:7, Num_14:22, Deu_6:16, Psa_78:18, Psa_78:41, Psa_78:56, Psa_95:9, Psa_106:14

Arc

Marky Mark

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2010, 11:49:51 AM »

Arcturus and Mark,

Is tempting and deceiving one and the same thing?

No,it is not one and the same. God can deceive but He cannot tempt.

Main Entry: tempt
Pronunciation: \ˈtem(p)t\
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French tempter, tenter, from Latin temptare, tentare to feel, try
Date: 13th century
1 : to entice to do wrong by promise of pleasure or gain
2 a obsolete : to make trial of : test b : to try presumptuously : provoke <tempt fate> c : to risk the dangers of
3 a : to induce to do something b : to cause to be strongly inclined <was tempted to call it quits>

synonyms see lure

— tempt·able  \ˈtem(p)-tə-bəl\ adjective

Main Entry: de·ceive
Pronunciation: \di-ˈsēv\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): de·ceived; de·ceiv·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French deceivre, from Latin decipere, from de- + capere to take — more at heave
Date: 13th century
transitive verb 1 archaic : ensnare
2 a obsolete : to be false to b archaic : to fail to fulfill
3 obsolete : cheat
4 : to cause to accept as true or valid what is false or invalid
5 archaic : to while away

Peace...Mark

Kat

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2010, 11:55:24 AM »

Roy, I do appreciate the analogies using plants it is another way to look at things and get insight into something.

Lauriellen, as Roy was explaining about plants, "altering its environment  to get it to do what I want it to do," I think that's a good way to put what God does.  As God knows "the end from the beginning" (Isa 46:10), He was well aware of how this situation with Abraham would turn out.  Now though God tries and tests to bring about a good result, He never tries or tests or tempts anyone towards sin/evil, He has others that serve that purpose. He tried Abraham, to test his faith towards Him, but this was more for Abraham's benefit than His, because He knew the outcome.

James 1:13  Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted with evil and He Himself tempts no one;
v. 14  but each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire.
v. 15  Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.

v. 17  Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

lauriellen

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2010, 12:58:31 PM »

i just think it must be a bad choice of words/translation, BECAUSE, to say that God "tempted" abraham gives one the idea that God was TRYING to get abraham to sin.....or sounds that way to me anyway....which is clearly stated that God does not do..... to say that God was "testing" abrahams faith gives a whole different "righteous" motive to the situation to me....
thanks for the imput,
lauriellen

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 01:42:42 PM »

You did well Mark. Thank you. I am not able to post the links to the studies I reference in my posts.  They just do not show up for me on the record of the writings I have on the flash disk.

Arcturus and Mark,

Is tempting and deceiving one and the same thing?
You are right on track with that question mmijares   It is well that you are paying attention to the words!

TEMPT…..H5254
נסה
nâsâh
Total KJV Occurrences: 36
prove, 14
Exo_16:4, Exo_20:20, Deu_8:2, Deu_8:16, Deu_33:8, Jdg_2:22, Jdg_3:1, Jdg_3:4, Jdg_6:39, 1Ki_10:1, 2Ch_9:1, Psa_26:2, Ecc_2:1, Dan_1:12
tempted, 8
Exo_17:7, Num_14:22, Deu_6:16, Psa_78:18, Psa_78:41, Psa_78:56, Psa_95:9, Psa_106:14
proved, 5
Exo_15:25, 1Sa_17:39 (2), Ecc_7:23, Dan_1:14
tempt, 4
Exo_17:1-2 (2), Deu_6:16, Isa_7:12
adventure, 1
Deu_28:56
assay, 1
Job_4:2
assayed, 1
Deu_4:34
proveth, 1
Deu_13:3
try, 1
2Ch_32:31
DECIEVE……G4105
πλανάω
planaō
Total KJV Occurrences: 43
deceive, 10
Mat_24:4-5 (2), Mat_24:11, Mat_24:24, Mar_13:5-6 (2), 1Jo_1:8, 1Jo_3:7, Rev_20:3, Rev_20:8
deceived, 10
Luk_21:8 (2), Joh_7:47, 1Co_6:9, 1Co_15:33, Gal_6:7, 2Ti_3:13, Tit_3:3, Rev_18:23, Rev_19:20, Rev_20:10
err, 6
Mat_22:29, Mar_12:24, Mar_12:27, Heb_3:10, Jam_1:16, Jam_5:19
astray, 5
Mat_18:12-13 (3), 1Pe_2:25, 2Pe_2:15
deceiveth, 3
Joh_7:12, Rev_12:9, Rev_13:14
gone, 2
Mat_18:12, 2Pe_2:15
seduce, 2
1Jo_2:26, Rev_2:20
deceiving, 1
2Ti_3:13
going, 1
1Pe_2:25
wandered, 1
Heb_11:38
way, 1
Heb_5:2
went, 1
Mat_18:13

Arc

Marky Mark

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 03:35:35 PM »

You did well Mark. Thank you.

You are welcome Arc. 8) :)

Peace...Mark

mmijares

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2010, 10:57:44 PM »

...the temptation is already in us in this weak heart just like a flower is in a plant even before the flower is seen, or a tree in the winter with no leaves to be seen ,yet they are in there, in the tree. Its the photo period of light that brings them forth, and makes them go away each year.
 The tree God placed there was merely the instrument that brought it forth like the photo period that triggers all plants to bring forth something or put away such as the leafs falling.

I like this analogy.  Thanks Roy!

-Mijares  :)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.