bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sun standing still?  (Read 5997 times)

Lupac

Sun standing still?
« on: January 31, 2010, 02:20:29 PM »

Here's a question I have, that I've been thinking about lately, and would like your input on. It's about the sun standing still in Joshua 10. Here are the verses Joshua 10:12-14:

Then spake Joshua to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon.

And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.

And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the LORD hearkened unto the voice of a man: for the LORD fought for Israel.

How do you think this happened? Many atheists beat christians over the head with theses verses. They say that there isn't any historical evidence for this ever happening. I've heard that there are some Chinese and Native Americans that have stories of a day that, lasted for more than a day, but I don't know if it's true, or apologetic people trying to defend the bible. Let me say, I do believe this event happened, and I'm NOT trying to discredit the bible, or anything. But, I think Ray said once that if something is true, than all the data we have should point to the fact that it's true. I know in the end it takes faith, but what do you think?

Lupac

Re: Sun standing still?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 03:11:34 PM »

I did search. What were you referring to?

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 03:30:39 PM »

Here is what Ray had to say on the subject:
http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,2084.0.html

"There are dozens (perhaps hundreds) of apparent contradictions in the Scriptures. I cannot take the rest of my life to try and explain them all. Hope you understand. It just does'nt bother me. Why spend time on what appear to be slight variations in the Scriptures?  What is gained?  Does the fact that the Bible says "the sun stood still in the midst of heaven," when in reality, for the sun to not move across the sky, it is the EARTH that would have had to "stand still" prove that the Bible is false, unreliable, and not of God?  From the perspective of the earth, the sun DID STAND STILL IN THE MIDST OF HEAVEN.  From the perspective of the earth, the sun DOES RISE and the sun DOES SET.  We do not speak of earthrise and earthset."

Hope this helps
Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

mcmiller

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 05:31:01 PM »

I think this is another one of those bible events where we should ask the question " is this literal or a parable?"  We know that God is able to perform miracles, to me a miracle is when God steps in and breaks the connection between cause and effect.  There are a number of physics principles involved with stopping the earth's rotation.  First is inertia.  Only the power of God could absorb and re-apply the inertial energy of the earth. Then there is the inertia in the oceans.  Have you ever pushed a bucket of water across the floor and had it hit a wall?  Imagine this with the Atlantic Ocean decelerating from almost 800 miles per hour to stopped, instantly.  That would be the flood of Noah all over again.  Now imagine the people at near the equator.  They would also have to decelerate from 800 mph, major whiplash and body pile-up beyond comprehension. Then ther is the moon.  If it stops it falls to the earth. And on it goes.  Now, is God powerful enough to compensate for all this so people wouldn't notice?  Sure, He's God.  But, what's the point if there is no lesson?  Here's the real question: What's the lesson?

Mark

mharrell08

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 01:03:06 AM »

I think this is another one of those bible events where we should ask the question " is this literal or a parable?"  We know that God is able to perform miracles, to me a miracle is when God steps in and breaks the connection between cause and effect.  There are a number of physics principles involved with stopping the earth's rotation.  First is inertia.  Only the power of God could absorb and re-apply the inertial energy of the earth. Then there is the inertia in the oceans.  Have you ever pushed a bucket of water across the floor and had it hit a wall?  Imagine this with the Atlantic Ocean decelerating from almost 800 miles per hour to stopped, instantly.  That would be the flood of Noah all over again.  Now imagine the people at near the equator.  They would also have to decelerate from 800 mph, major whiplash and body pile-up beyond comprehension. Then ther is the moon.  If it stops it falls to the earth. And on it goes.  Now, is God powerful enough to compensate for all this so people wouldn't notice?  Sure, He's God.  But, what's the point if there is no lesson?  Here's the real question: What's the lesson?

Mark

Hello Mark,

Every effect in the known universe has a cause and God, ultimately, is that cause of all things. God does not need to 'break' any connection or change course seeing that He works all things after the counsel of His own Will [Eph 1:11].

Also, regarding the verse from Joshua 10, it states the sun did not go down the whole 'day' [Heb 'yowm'] not a whole 24 hour period. Ray has an extensive bible study from the 2009 conference on day or 'yowm'.

FYI: http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,11185.msg96591.html#msg96591

Marques

mcmiller

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 01:48:43 AM »

Hello Marques,
I agree with you that God is the cause of all effects.  What I was refering to are the natural laws that He set in place.  Take for instance the turning of water into wine.  There is no natural cause in this physical earthly system that allows for the coversion of plain water into wine.  In the raising of Lazarus from the dead, there is no cause for this in the natural world, dead people don't come back to life except that God does it.  Turning a few loaves and fish into enough food to feed a multitude violates the current law of conservation of mass.  These are what I consider examples of God changing the natural flow of something into a supernatural event, a miracle.  In present society many people consider someone recovering from a serious illness a miracle, but unless that person was with absolute certainty destined to die and then totally recovers it wasn't a miracle.

Mark

darren

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 04:25:58 AM »

The sun standing still.  Man that would have been an awesome site. WOW talking about the Power of OUR LORD. Stopping the earth from rotating. This brought up a thought. Ray has an audio in which he speaks how after God created the earth He had to start it up. Talking to His angles He said Turn It!, now we have the days and the nights. Push it, Push it around the sun, Ok now we have the seasons. Ray was being funny.( LOL). I just pictured the angles with their arm chain linked around the earth and slowing the rotation down until it has stopped. (LOL) then have to start turning it all over again. (Don't spin it too fast those puny humans will fly right off)(LOL)

mharrell08

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 07:15:13 AM »

Hello Marques,
I agree with you that God is the cause of all effects.  What I was refering to are the natural laws that He set in place.  Take for instance the turning of water into wine.  There is no natural cause in this physical earthly system that allows for the coversion of plain water into wine.  In the raising of Lazarus from the dead, there is no cause for this in the natural world, dead people don't come back to life except that God does it.  Turning a few loaves and fish into enough food to feed a multitude violates the current law of conservation of mass.  These are what I consider examples of God changing the natural flow of something into a supernatural event, a miracle.  In present society many people consider someone recovering from a serious illness a miracle, but unless that person was with absolute certainty destined to die and then totally recovers it wasn't a miracle.

Mark

As I agree with your comments Mark...I was only speaking in view of the 'sun standing still'. Simply put, the Lord already planned for this event, long before it happened, so there was no 'change' or 'break' from His original intentions. That's all I meant, sorry for any confusion.

Marques

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 08:48:22 AM »

One of Albert Einstein’s comments that I really enjoy : quote

You can live life in one of two ways. Either as if nothing is a miracle or as if EVERYTHING IS

Don’t you just love it? 8)

Rev 22:5  And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.

Rev 21:23  And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.

The Word of God is not literal. :) It is a miracle, phenomenon, wonder, marvel and Truth.

Arc
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 08:53:31 AM by Arcturus »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.