bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: J.B. Phillips  (Read 6388 times)

josh

J.B. Phillips
« on: June 13, 2007, 08:36:06 PM »

I was at a local christian bookstore a few days ago... and I was browsing through the different bible translations, looking for a Rotherman's Emphasized Bible, when I came across J.B. Phillip's translation of the New Testament, "Letters to Young Churches."

I picked up a copy of this translation at the recommendation of a professor a few years back and have always thought this was an enjoyable version to read... just curious if anyone else has encountered this translation and what you thought of it?

God's Peace.
Josh

gmik

Re: J.B. Phillips
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 02:35:53 AM »

I am trying to do morning devotionals w/ the concordant.  That is a work out!  I think Ray has talked about Phillips.

seminole

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 10:44:51 AM »

Talked about as good or bad?

jeetkunejimi

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 04:01:13 PM »

Hi Josh,
           many bibles read fairly well but it's their continuous accuracy throughout that is more important, as when we analyse many translations they often are erroneous in their continuance. J.B. Philips translation is no exception either, he constantly changes words original meanings and on most of the major key points of doctrine such as the word 'Aion' over the word 'Eternal' (Strong's #165), he completely misses the boat.

J.B.Philips Version,
 Matt 25:46 - "And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the true men to eternal life." 

Concordant Literal NT,
Matt 25:46 - "And these shall go away to aionian correction, but the righteous to aionian life."

The Emphatic Diaglott,
Matt 25:46 - "And shall be going away these into a cutting-off age-lasting; and the just ones into life age-lasting."

The Holy Bible in Modern English (Ferrar Fenton),
Matt 25:46 - "And these He will dismiss into a long correction, but the well-doers to an enduring life."

Robert Young's Literal Translation,
Matt 25:46 - "And these shall go away to punishment age during, but the righteous to life age during."

Etc, etc.

I think Josh that the Lord will guide you, but you will eventually I believe be led to buy yourself a more spirit led version of God's word such as those above or even Joseph Rotherham's Emphasized Bible, if you are being or have already been called out of the false church.

God be with you and your family.

Sincerely,
Jimi.

Join me now in my new massive money making business venture, selling asbestos blankets only on Sundays at the exits of Orthodox churches. It's really gonna take off.

Roy Coates

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 04:50:36 PM »

J.B. Phillips
« on: June 13, 2007, 05:36:06 PM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was at a local christian bookstore a few days ago... and I was browsing through the different bible translations, looking for a Rotherman's Emphasized Bible, when I came across J.B. Phillip's translation of the New Testament, "Letters to Young Churches."

I picked up a copy of this translation at the recommendation of a professor a few years back and have always thought this was an enjoyable version to read... just curious if anyone else has encountered this translation and what you thought of it?

God's Peace.
Josh

Jeet,
Thanks for your input, not sure Josh will see it. Notice his name is black which means he is no longer a member.
Peace

markn902

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 05:03:17 PM »

Thats interesting I like the Concordant translation of that scripture from Matthew. Me and the wife have started bible studying recently we have 1 King James version 2 New World Translation ( JW ) and  one Emphatic Diaglott. We are basically using the NWT ones because we have two of them. I think I will look into a Concordant one though. Does it completely leave out the word Hell in it's translation?

G. Driggs

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 05:50:05 PM »

Hi Mark, I did a search for the word "hell" in the Concordant Literal Version using esword and nothing came up. I would think it would be the same for the physical book version of Concordant though.

I have heard Ray say it does not matter what translation one uses, you can still learn something from them all as long as the Spirit is teaching you. I have found this to be true in my own studies, using many different translations, including the much hated Living Bible.

There really is no such thing as a perfect translation of the original Scriptures. Certainly some are more erroneous than others which is why it is good to have more than a few so as to be able to cross reference and compare them.

Funny story, when I first started reading Ray's papers I thought my KJV was evil, so I ripped it up and threw it away. In a way I sort of started idolizing the Concordant thinking it was the only translation I could trust. Looking back I see that it was stupid and now I actually miss that little bible cause it was pocket size and came in very handy on trips. To be honest the Concordant is a little hard for me to understand at times, but I still like to use it as a "go to" kind of translation. I dunno, just my thoughts for what it's worth. :)

Peace, G.Driggs 

Kat

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 05:59:25 PM »

Hi Mark,

The Concordant would be a good choice.  It does not have the word 'hell,' 'eternal,' 'everlasting' or 'ever and ever.' Rotherham is another good one that does not have these words.  Ray uses and refers to these a lot.  But you can still use your Bible, you can make a project of going through it and  marking out the word 'hell' and write the correct word in the margin.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Roy Coates

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 07:38:41 PM »

Boy do I feel silly after reading all those responses,nice work folks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.