bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FASTING  (Read 9200 times)

coryd123

FASTING
« on: February 04, 2010, 02:35:52 PM »

<< John 6:63 >>  It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

<< Romans 8:7 >> Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

I am just trying to get more understanding on fasting. It shows that physical fasting was very powerful in the bible and I have even fasted myself and felt that I gained more wisdom but if  the flesh profiteth nothing is fasting anymore different then taking the lords supper or anointing someone with oil? or using a prayer cloth? Need clarity on fasting.

Kat

Re: FASTING
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 03:00:35 PM »

Hi Coryd,

Here is an excerpt about fasting from the article "You Fools! You Hypocrites! You Snakes!"

http://bible-truths.com/fools.htm -----

FASTING HYPOCRITES

"Moreover when you fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance [‘don’t look like those miserable play-actors’ Phillips Translation]: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast" (Matt. 6:16).

Jesus could have just told them how to fast properly. But no, He first told them how NOT to fast by exposing the hypocrisy of the religious leaders of the day. He was a Master of sarcasm and satire. He called them "hypocrites" and said their religion was as fake as they were. But it was the truth of His infallible statements that really cut them. After all, the Word of God is like a sharp two-edged sword (Heb. 4:12). It cuts to the marrow of the bone. They were, as many still are, fakers and "play-actors" as Phillips translates it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Here is an emails on fasting.

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,2260.0.html -----

I hear TV preachers talk about how they fasted or how that they just finished a 2-day, 5-day, two-week fast. 'Me thinks' however, that they lie. And even if they aren't lying, they just lost any benefit by telling the whole world about it.

Fasting (without food or water) may be benefical to draw closer to God.  It may even be beneficial for health. But I do not believe that it will CAUSE God to do whatever it is that you have need of.

Jesus tells us that His words are "SPIRIT" (John 6:63).  And here is a portion of Scripture which speaks to the subject of "spiritual fasting"--"...Is not THIS the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that you break every yoke?...." (Isa. 58:6-11).

Hope this helps you,

God be with you,

Ray

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 03:12:12 PM »

There is no physical act that makes one Spiritual.  

Of course, there can be spiritual benefit to 'denying oneself', but while we are yet carnal, this 'benefit' (if we ever see it) is more than offset by the 'indulging oneself' in self-satisfaction, self-righteousness, and religious excercise.

Mat 6:16-18  Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.  But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face; That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

That scripture is Spiritual, too.   :)

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 03:56:53 PM »

It shows that physical fasting was very powerful in the bible

Only God is very powerful. God causes everything. God causes us to pray and to fast. God causes the outcomes of both prayer and fasting. God decides before we either pray or fast, what He will do to either bless us or test us. There is nothing we can do to change, alter or control circumstances or results.

We are a generation in the NT and we have a new and better covenant that does not rest in physical observances as did the OT generations with their physical temple and physical regualtions that [physically applied to them then.

We are meant to live by faith not regulation, by trust, not controls of man or requirements of religion.

Matt 17 : 21  and Mark 9 : 29...."and fasting".....On authority of Professor C. Tisendorf’s notes on the reading of the two oldest Greek manuscripts, the Sinaitic and the Vatican #1209.  The words "and fasting", found in our common King James Version are not found in the oldest manuscripts.

When it came to the decision to cause the crowd following Jesus, to either fast or not, Jesus chose to NOT let them fast.

Mat 15:32  Then Jesus called His disciples and said, I have compassion on the crowd because they continue with Me for three days now and have nothing to eat. And I will not send them away fasting, lest they faint in the way.

God does not change  and the end from the beginning is already determined by God according to His Plan and Purpose that He is working out for the good of all those who love Him.

Luk 21:36  Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

Arcturus

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 04:39:52 PM »

Any and all corrections, additional Scriptures, info are welcome.

Matt 17 : 21  and Mark 9 : 29...."and fasting".....On authority of Professor C. Tisendorf’s notes on the reading of the two oldest Greek manuscripts, the Sinaitic and the Vatican #1209.  The words "and fasting", found in our common King James Version are not found in the oldest manuscripts.

We can trust that the words AND FASTING in these Scriptures were added superfluously, erroneously and are deceptions leading to error most commonly and physically practised and exhibited in Babylon.

That is not to say that we can not suffer from depravation of the bread of life.

Luk 4:4  And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

Arc
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 04:44:36 PM by Arcturus »

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 05:02:57 PM »

We should not be fasting in the Spirit but banqueting with the Lord G. Driggs. :)

Look again. Jesus did NOT send the crowd away fasting.

Mat 15:32  Then Jesus called His disciples and said, I have compassion on the crowd because they continue with Me for three days now and have nothing to eat. And I will not send them away fasting, lest they faint in the way.

Babylon has no compassion.

Mar 4:15  And these are they by the way side, where the word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately, and taketh away the word that was sown in their hearts.

Arc
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 05:06:40 PM by Arcturus »

musicman

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 11:33:22 PM »

The bible meant to say "eat fast".  That's what I do and my wisdom has increased 10 fold.  Excuse me, the 10 fold is in my stomach.

Roy Coates

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 12:37:49 AM »

The bible meant to say "eat fast".  That's what I do and my wisdom has increased 10 fold.  Excuse me, the 10 fold is in my stomach.
;D me too and I thought I was alone.
On a serious note lots of good replies

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 06:40:06 AM »

G Driggs

You deleted your comments and questions out of this thread leaving bare only my response made conspicuous by your absence.

I wrote to our Lord in response to a most kind PM from another member in our family here. After crafting my letter to the Lord, I saw it applied both to you and to the kind message I received in the PM lines. It also embraces other members here who can relate. Here it is. I asked the Lord :
What is knowledge without YOU. It is a clanging cymbal. What is spirit if not YOUR SPIRIT. What new song do You require from the depths of our longing for YOU. Our flesh is weak and we fail in energy to lift ourselves up to even progress along the lines of our circumstances without LOVE>

I asked what of Your Spirit if not involved, invested, equipped by Your Heart and Mind.

Isa 38:17  Behold, I had great bitterness for peace; but You loved my soul from the pit of destruction. You have cast all my sins behind Your back.

All my feelings are Yours. All my circumstances are of Your making.

What is mere conversation without meaning saying nothing and meaning less. Vast are the empty places and reserves of barren waste land into which a talking tongue can entertain itself and muse itself with others dancing to songs of fellowship in vacancy.

I know my life moves Your Heart and Your Great reserves of sympathy and sorrow for me as You elect others to let my ears and soul  touch and taste Your Spirit and Your Life that is marrow to our bones and breath to our lungs. Oh Lord.

To be able to communicate knowledge of YOU and sensitivity to that same hurt suffered by those who do not know their wounds and do not know the origin of their hurts vested against the bloodletting curdling errors of Babylon. Yet they press on vehemently in their defiance against their pains and numbing influences of balm inducing prayers that are not lifted up to You but up to their gods in shining armor leading them ever forward into the cutting wounding penalties of listening to the errors and lies of such a harlot as Babylon.

What is the feeling of such a sight? What is the deep despair of such agony as this? This surely is Your Cross You suffered in Your agony in Obedience to the Love of Your Father.

DougE6

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 04:18:21 PM »

Beautiful prayer  Acturus... here is a segment of an email I wrote a couples days ago, to an athiest friend, with whom I enjoy I enjoy a sharing relationship..

.Please forgive this, I am only saying this in self disclosure...I could not imagine existence without being able to share my heart/thoughts/prayers/songs/inner feelings with God. I do it all the time sometimes non stop for days, even when I am doing other things. I do not expect you to understand this, and ,maybe you do!. I just want to say, for me, I could live no other way. I do not tell anyone this either. since I am private by nature.  Yet most every thought, for the most part, is shared, with Him, either overtly, or with the full understanding that He is there.You probably think that soumds skitzoid? sp?.  But that is my reality.  I ask for your forgiveness because I do not want you to think I am always trying to change or convert you, by bring this up, again..  I am not. I am just being transparent.

That is why I wish I could sing.  As wonderful as everything is that is, even more wonderful than that,  is feeling!.  Feeling is more wonderful that knowledge. Even if I understood all mysteries, but if I had not love, than I am only a clanging gong.  And knowledge combined with feeling is incredibly sublime.  Why can't I communicate knowledge through feeling?.....

So when you wrote(prayed) this, it gave me a bit of a start .... "What is knowledge without YOU. It is a clanging cymbal. What is spirit if not YOUR SPIRIT. What new song do You require from the depths of our longing for YOU"...

We do so long for Him, to be more like Him, to live like Him, to die to ourselves like Him, to be filled with Him

1Co 13:1  Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity(love), I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
1Co 13:2  And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity(love), I am nothing.
1Co 13:3  And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity(love), it profiteth me nothing.

These words are sobering just like the words of Mattthew 24 when Jesus says I never knew you, to those who say they did great works in his name.  It is NOT our knowledge, nor our works, it is our LOVE

What I mean and I think you meant is to be motivated by love, to be willing to give our all, to feel the same love of Christ, ...motivated by the same love present in our Lord, as he forgave his enemies and poured out his lifes blood for the redemption of mankind

You also wrote..
To be able to communicate knowledge of YOU and sensitivity to that same hurt suffered by those who do not know their wounds and do not know the origin of their hurts vested against the bloodletting curdling errors of Babylon. Yet they press on vehemently in their defiance against their pains and numbing influences of balm inducing prayers that are not lifted up to You but up to their gods in shining armor leading them ever forward into the cutting wounding penalties of listening to the errors and lies of such a harlot as Babylon....

May that be all our prayers, God be merciful to them in their ignorance and blindness...may all our ministries and actions to each other, to those in Babylon, and those who are lost elsewhere, be motivated by love for them alone...

Yet, speaking only for myself, I truly hope, when all is said and done, that NOT all (emphasis on a minority) of those in Babylon(the babylon of the church) will be judged as "being weighed in the balances and found wanting" Because I have(want?) to believe, in light of this 1Cor 13 scripture, that even their insuficient understandings can be less important than love, and the love of Christ shed forth to others..  Because the apostle said all knowledge(and we have a LOT more knowledge) is of NO consequence if we do not have love, so apparently love is greater than knowledge.  So when some missionary, forgives the tribesman, who killed his only son, and then he goes back to live among them, and be Christ to them, and introduce them to Christ,  that he appears to me that did undergo judgements and will have shown Christlike character to have gold and precious stones of character and love, even if not of complete understanding.

So to me the biggest mystery of all is whether some of these great works were done in love for Christ and their neighbor.  I think beautiful unselfish acts of forgiveness could only come through Jesus.

I am open to receiving anyone who loves or names Christ, unless they love the doctrines of eternal loss. That I would not understand, and is very sad. . That would not be LOVE.  That would have to be burned away.

Doug

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 05:16:22 PM »

...I could not imagine existence without being able to share my heart/thoughts/prayers/songs/inner feelings with God. I do it all the time sometimes non stop for days, even when I am doing other things.

To have the awareness of being under the constant eye of our Father, is a great gift, privilege, consolation, blessing and a non-transferable presence of Faith and Hope that the most intense efforts and imagination cannot reach, duplicate or afford.

Our Father is Greater…… Our Father IS Love.

1Co 13:13  And now faith, hope, charity, these three remain; but the greatest of these is love.

Arc

Stacey

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 05:03:01 AM »

To have the awareness of being under the constant eye of our Father, is a great gift, privilege, consolation, blessing and a non-transferable presence of Faith and Hope that the most intense efforts and imagination cannot reach, duplicate or afford.

Arc, do you know how much awesomeness God has afforded you to write such great inspiring words of inspiration??? If you don't, let me tell you friend, you got a lot of it! :)
Stacey

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 09:43:40 AM »

do you know how much awesomeness God has afforded you

By default, no, Stacey.  Thank you for seeing His gift to me and causing me to have a more sober  appreciation for it.

2Co 4:1  Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not;
2Co 4:2  But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God. 8) :)
2Th 2:16  Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace,
2Th 2:17  Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.

Arc

Marky Mark

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 09:58:29 AM »

By default, no, Stacey.  Thank you for seeing His gift to me and causing me to have a more sober  appreciation for it.

Thank-you Deborah. Wise words indeed.
 ;) ;D

Psa 10:17  LORD, thou hast heard the desire of the humble: thou wilt prepare their heart, thou wilt cause thine ear to hear:

Jas 4:10  Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

1Pe 5:5  Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.

1Pe 5:6  Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:

Peace...Mark

mmijares

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 12:32:15 AM »

<< John 6:63 >>  It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

<< Romans 8:7 >> Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

I am just trying to get more understanding on fasting. It shows that physical fasting was very powerful in the bible and I have even fasted myself and felt that I gained more wisdom but if  the flesh profiteth nothing is fasting anymore different then taking the lords supper or anointing someone with oil? or using a prayer cloth? Need clarity on fasting.

Hi Cory,

This thread (http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3215.0.html) will make your understanding of fasting a little better.

Regards,
-Mij

G. Driggs

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 11:41:26 PM »

G Driggs

You deleted your comments and questions out of this thread leaving bare only my response made conspicuous by your absence.

Forgive me Arcturus, was feeling pretty stupid and embarrassed by my post and acted rash when I was lead by my emotions to delete it. Your responses were good and of the Spirit and I didnt mean to try and diminish them.

Loved your letter to the Lord, all the glory is His.

Peace, G.Driggs

Samson

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 12:34:23 AM »

Musicman,

That's what you get for being on a Sea Food Diet, You See Food and then you eat it, followed by your Ten Fold increase;  ;D.

Kind Regards, Samson.

Stacey

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 05:20:02 AM »

That's what you get for being on a Sea Food Diet, You See Food and then you eat it, followed by your Ten Fold increase;  .

I've been on this diet for far too long, I really wanted it to work out but I think I should fire this diet cause it ain't working out for the greator good!  ;D
Stacey

aqrinc

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 12:51:49 AM »

That's what you get for being on a Sea Food Diet, You See Food and then you eat it, followed by your Ten Fold increase;  .

I've been on this diet for far too long, I really wanted it to work out but I think I should fire this diet cause it ain't working out for the greator good!  ;D

Hi Stacey,

Even if you fire that diet; you should still be working out for the smaller good, would you agree??

george ;D ??? 8).

Stacey

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 04:35:18 AM »

Hi Stacey,

Even if you fire that diet; you should still be working out for the smaller good, would you agree??

george   .

Amen George! You are right about that!  :)
Stacey
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.