bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Matthew 24:20...pray  (Read 8079 times)

Silvia Martin

Matthew 24:20...pray
« on: February 05, 2010, 11:03:56 AM »

Why would Jesus tell us To pray for it (our flight???) not to take place on the sabbath or in the winter?
I have pondered this for days. Is he just telling us again to be watchful  :-\ ? Actually my "wondering' starts at verse 15. Sorry guys I've read a lot of " endtime garbage" that I'm trying to clean up ;D.
I was scared stiff for a whole year after reading Tim McHide"s book.Praise God Ray cleared up a lot already. I've actually been reluctant to ask, but since a lot of other people have had questions about this kind of stuff i thought it was OK.

God bless,

Silvia

kenny

Re: Matthew 24:20...pray
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 12:47:18 PM »

silvia
Gods Good pleasure will be done in the earth
Mat 24:16  Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:
we will flee!
Mat 24:20  But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
the days are short and cold getting even colder at night  in the winter and whatever day you pick as the sabbath should not be interrupted, but will be in that day.

Eph 1:9  Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:

Php 2:13  For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

mharrell08

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 01:08:09 PM »

Why would Jesus tell us To pray for it (our flight???) not to take place on the sabbath or in the winter?
I have pondered this for days. Is he just telling us again to be watchful  :-\ ? Actually my "wondering' starts at verse 15. Sorry guys I've read a lot of " endtime garbage" that I'm trying to clean up ;D.
I was scared stiff for a whole year after reading Tim McHide"s book.Praise God Ray cleared up a lot already. I've actually been reluctant to ask, but since a lot of other people have had questions about this kind of stuff i thought it was OK.

God bless,

Silvia

Matt 24:20  ...pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day

Hello Silvia,

The word 'flight' [Gk. #5437 phygē] means to flee or escape. The root word for 'phygē' is 'pheugō' [Gk. #5343], which is consistently translated to flee, fled or escape.

The word winter [Gk. #5494 cheimōn] can mean the winter season OR 'rainy or stormy weather; tempest'. The apostle Paul was on a boat that was tossed 'exceedingly' by a tempest or stormy weather [Acts 27:17-20].

So Christ tells us to pray that our escape be not during a turbulent period...and when we continue reading He explains more:

v21-22  For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

and continuing to 'when' these things occur:

v34  Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Email reply from Ray (http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,2572.0.html):

COMMENT:  Jesus said in verse 27, "And then shall He send His angels, and shalll gather together His elect from the four winds, from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven."

Now then, that THOSE disciples of THAT generation see Jesus coming and gathering His elect?  No, no they didn't.  But which ever generation DOES SEE "ALL these things" (Matt. 24:33), this [the generation, not THAT generation, which sees ALL THESE THINGS] THIS generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled."

Hope this helps,

Marques

P.S. Don't worry about 'doomsday forecasters' with their false prophecies...God's judgments are spiritual, not literal boulders falling out of the sky or any such nonsense. God is changing us from carnal minded beasts to spiritual images of God...it's about a new mind & heart, not worldwide typhoons, earthquakes, etc.

Silvia Martin

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 09:05:27 AM »

Thanks guys for taking your time to answer my question. I'm trying to see it in the spirit,but I'm still having trouble. I mean,like in verse 21&22, that sounds pretty bad. The world seems so out of control already, and not just spiritually.I know the Lord will reveal this to me one day.

God bless,

Silvia 

Marky Mark

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 11:06:01 AM »

Hello Silvia.

Does this BBE translation help any?

Mat 24:21  Because in those days there will be great sorrow, such as there has not been from the start of the world till now, or ever will be.
Mat 24:22  And if those days had not been made short there would have been no salvation for any, but because of the saints those days will be made short

Peace...Mark

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 06:01:08 PM »

Pray that our flight, escape.....be not.....when ever......

Jesus councils us to endure, not flee, to trust, not fear, to stand not fold.

Rev 6:17  For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

Eph 6:13  Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Luk 21:36  Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

It may be easier to not run but to stand, when it is summer or a working day rather than sabbath or winter. That our trials do not overtake us, that we be found worthy for as Revelations asks us, Who shall be able to stand except he or she who the Lord makes to stand.

Arc

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 11:26:40 PM »

Hey Silvia,

These are things that we should be doing.

Mat 24:4  And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
Mat 24:5  For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
Mat 24:6  And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
Mat 24:7  For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
Mat 24:8  All these are the beginning of sorrows.
Mat 24:9  Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
Mat 24:10  And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
Mat 24:11  And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
Mat 24:12  And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
Mat 24:13  But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
Mat 24:14  And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
Mat 24:15  When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)

The next verses are what I believe we should not be doing during this time (abomination of desolation = when all filth is being made waste)

Mat 24:16  Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:
Mat 24:17  Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:
Mat 24:18  Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.

Mat 24:19  And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!

Mat 24:20  But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day: What we will do!

Mat 24:21  For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
Mat 24:22  And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

I agree with the scriptures Deborah posted!
Luk 21:36  Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

Why would we pray that our flight not be in the winter nor on the sabbath?
Because these are things we must endure.
Winter = trials, tribulations, sufferings (for the gospel sake!)(to be accounted worthy!)
Sabbath = ceasing from OUR works (to be accounted worthy!)

I hope this helps Silvia
Antaiwan

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 04:52:20 AM »

:) Thank you Antaiwan

Heb 11:33  Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions,
Heb 11:34  Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens.

Jos 10:25  And Joshua said unto them, Fear not, nor be dismayed, be strong and of good courage: for thus shall the LORD do to all your enemies against whom ye fight.

1Ti 6:12  Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.

2Ti 4:7  I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

Thank you Silvia for your question :)

Arc

Silvia Martin

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 11:02:51 AM »

Thank you Arcturus and Antaiwan. That explained a lot. i still have some fear about this, but I know God will make me strong and brave to endure whatever he has planned for me.

God bless

Silvia

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 11:30:13 AM »

I know God will make me strong and brave to endure

THAT is Faith. THAT is Hope. THAT is the presence of Christ with you Silvia establishing in you the confidence and innocence in  certainty of that which shall be tried and proved, through Him, shall be found worthy.

We are here in this Forum today, knowing that there is a generation of people on the worlds streets, in forgotten corners of the earth who are slipping away from hope as we write our confirmations, encouragements against hopelessness as we make a difference in one anothers lives and visions as we reflect, remember, remind one another of Christ who has overcome the world, gone before us and stands with us in His Spirit and in His unwavering faultlessly unswerving Faith and Power.

Arc

dave

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 11:41:28 AM »

I thought I had read somewhere that Matt. 24 had happened in 70 A.D. What generation is being spoke of in 24:34?

mharrell08

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 12:03:17 PM »

I thought I had read somewhere that Matt. 24 had happened in 70 A.D. What generation is being spoke of in 24:34?

From above:

v34  Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Email reply from Ray (http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,2572.0.html):

COMMENT:  Jesus said in verse 27, "And then shall He send His angels, and shalll gather together His elect from the four winds, from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven."

Now then, that THOSE disciples of THAT generation see Jesus coming and gathering His elect?  No, no they didn't.  But which ever generation DOES SEE "ALL these things" (Matt. 24:33), this [the generation, not THAT generation, which sees ALL THESE THINGS] THIS generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled."

Marques

dave

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 12:54:58 PM »

I knew that(lol) Thank you, I really did know that, when a person is a way from thinking, and trying to talk to the "left behind" rapture bro. and sis's, ones brain sometimes becomes maimed and loses function. Praise the Name of the Lord.

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 03:30:15 PM »

Hi micah7:9 

I am glad you got it but for others for who might still struggle to understand or see past the who’s who is going to pass or not going to pass, it is the GENERATION that is being spoken of that by implication is an AGE not a group of people in a fabled rapture. This “age” shall not pass, till all these things are fulfilled.

Mat 24:34  Verily I say unto you, This generation { G1074 } shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

G1074 - generation

γενεά
genea
ghen-eh-ah'
From (a presumed derivative of) G1085; a generation; by implication an age (the period or the persons): - age, generation, nation, time.

Arc

dave

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 12:16:21 AM »

Amen and thanks again for the RE awaking. I have been off line for several months, hopefully I will be on for a longer time. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.