bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Praying for pets  (Read 12861 times)

SandyFla

Praying for pets
« on: June 19, 2006, 05:54:23 PM »

I caught a bit of John Hagee's program last Saturday night. Don't usually watch him, but I was just curious to see what he had to say.

He talked about people who pray for their pets. He said someone called him one night and asked him to pray about their dog's post-nasal drip. He said that he told them NO!!! in no uncertain terms--and everyone had a good laugh.

Even when I was one of them (Christians), I always prayed for mine when they were sick. God has seen fit to deny me the blessings of motherhood, so my 2 cats are my "babies." I've never seen anything wrong with praying for them.

Don't Christians who oppose it ever read Matthew 10:29? - "Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father."

And also I Peter 5:7 - "Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you." What part of ALL YOUR CARE don't they understand? If just one of them can show me a Scripture that says something like, "You may pray about anything except your pets," I will stop. But as it stands right now, my cats will stay in my prayers.

I never understood why some Christians are so opposed to praying for their pets. Does anyone know why?

Sandy

alchemist

Praying for pets
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 06:35:03 PM »

I never understood why some Christians are so opposed to praying for their pets. Does anyone know why?

They feel as if they don't diserve anything from god or christ,that humans are the ultimate being created in the image of god and that their the only one's god shows any kindess to.Atleast thats what somewhat of a majority thinks.

I know becuase I asked.

love_magnified

Praying for pets
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 08:07:14 PM »

There is nothing wrong with praying for your pets. God sees all that he created is good and he loves ALL that he created. I really feel bad for Mr. Hagee. He just has so much that will have to be undone. I wish he could experience it now, but he cannot see the truth. It just gets darker from there. :cry:

hillsbororiver

Praying for pets
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 08:34:22 PM »

Hi Sandy,

God is love, we love our pets, God created our pets, what more needs to be said?

Joe

Sorin

Praying for pets
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 09:25:16 PM »

Isabell, I agree, this is ridiculous. Sandy no offense to you or anything, my parents have a pet dog, and I am rather fond of her. But I don't view pets as
human beings. So what I'm getting at is, pets, such as cats and dogs in some cultures are eaten like we eat chicken. So in that sense wouldn't it be the same as praying for a chicken? And if so, would you pray for a chicken?

gmik

praying for pets
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 09:35:06 PM »

Maybe Sandy does pray for people first.  From all the posts I have read of Sandy I would say she has a heart big enough to pray for those the Lord lays on her heart and for her cats that are very important to her. Ecc. does say that we are beasts too.

Isabell reading your posts you have always shown kindness and sympathy and an amazing amount of wisdom. There is room for all kinds of prayer.

I think most of my prayers are fairly selfish by nature. I am sort of confused since everything that happens is by God's will anyway so I don't pray the way I used to (before BT).

It is like praying for world peace, or someone in your family to get "saved", or for a new job, or moving to a new place.  God's will be done.

Isabell please don't take offense.  I still remember you in prayer to get back to Alaska.  And I always look forward to your posts.

hillsbororiver

Praying for pets
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 09:59:16 PM »

At first I wasn't going to respond to this but the fact that pets are not human beings does not mean they have no value, these creatures can teach us about loyalty, humility, faithfulness & love if we are patiently observing.

Yes, some cultures eat dogs and cats, some eat their dead's (human beings) brains or other organs and others believe in canibalism, does that ultimately reduce the value of a human being in our eyes?

Yes, some pets do have it better in the Western world than some people have it in other parts, but that is more a damnation of their corrupt leaders who pocket and squander aid money or do not distribute donated foodstuffs, prefering to let it rot on the docks than coordinate distribution.

There will always be poor (in this age) and there will always be corruption, it is a fact that pets can be a tonic to a troubled spirit and provide companionship to the lonely or even eyes to the blind and protection for the weak, they are a gift from God and should be valued and treated with compassion.

Joe

Sorin

Praying for pets
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 10:06:54 PM »

Joe,

I wasn't saying she shouldn't pray for her pets. I was just asking if that would be the same as praying for a chicken, but I guess pets have more value than
chickens. They can provide companionship to the lonely and so forth. My parents have a pet, and like I said I am rather fond of her, so maybe comparing a pet to a chicken wasn't a good idea. I didn't mean to offend anyone by that. My apologies.

Sorin

chrissiela

Praying for pets
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 10:07:57 PM »

When I was about thirteen years old and our family took a three week vacation to Alaska.... driving from Louisiana to Prince Rupert BC to catch a ferry to Juneau and then from there to Hanes... I PRAYED THE ENTIRE TRIP that the brand new puppy that I had just gotten before leaving wouldn't get out of the yard (as it was small enough to possibly squeeze through the wooden posts) and be gone (or worse) by the time we got home.

Nothing wrong with praying for your pets. And I wouldn't just assume that someone who would pray for their pet would do so at the EXCLUSION of praying for other things and people. In fact, I would assume the very opposite.

And if someone had a pet chicken (as some do) they might very well pray for that too.  :wink:

God bless you, Sandy (and your cats!)  :D

Chrissie

Daniel

Praying for pets
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 10:27:22 PM »

God can show us things through the natural which invoke sympathy or anger which speaks much more of ourselves then anything, for as Paul says, "Is it the oxen that God cares about"? No, it is said for us (as is this picture said to David). But it does show God understands us.

2Sam 12:1-4 And the LORD sent Nathan unto David. And he came unto him, and said unto him, There were two men in one city; the one rich, and the other poor.

The rich [man] had exceeding many flocks and herds:

But the poor man had nothing, save one little ewe lamb, which he had bought and nourished up: and it grew up together with him, and with his children; it did eat of his own meat, and drank of his own cup, and lay in his bosom, and was unto him as a daughter.

And there came a traveller unto the rich man, and he spared to take of his own flock and of his own herd, to dress for the wayfaring man that was come unto him; but took the poor man's lamb, and dressed it for the man that was come to him.

David was enraged

This was "of David" and a wrong He committed. I believe the picture does bring up in us some natural affections and that of our own feelings through it (as God knows these). Theres nothing wrong with the caring for the needs of an animal.

Jesus used examples of the same to put a little heart back into the overly religious who passed over mercy.

Mathew 12:11 And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?

Theres a few. Truthfully I don't really pray for my pets, but I know when my dog was thrown into a seizure, and it scared the crap out of me :shock:  and the first words out of my mouth (like it or not) was GOD HELP HER!

So I would be a hypocrit to tell you I never did personally. So I might look unspiritual, even ridiculous perhaps but the truth is I know "I do" in "such times". Heck, no one else to call on but Him stranded in the middle of such a time not knowing what to do.

Though I must admit they are not on "my daily prayer list" :lol: But who can blame you Sandy? Not me, nor do I judge you or condemn you for doing it. Sounds like you have a big heart and a merciful one.

Peace

Daniel

longhorn

Praying for pets
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 10:55:12 PM »

I have a chicken named "Lucy" that follows me around like a dog and will sit in her chair(outside) in the mornings until I make her breakfast(grits).  I think her egg might have rolled to far from the nest before she hatched, because I really dont think she knows she's a chicken.

I dont recall ever praying for her, but she is fun to have around and she is taken good care of as are all my animals, I guess as long as I dont make her or any of my animals "Idols of my heart", it's ok.

Love in Christ
Longhorn

P.S.  Come to think of it, I guess I do have a pet chicken.

chrissiela

Praying for pets
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 10:55:50 PM »

Sandy,

I have a dog, but have never been what you might call "an animal lover"  :lol:  But now my sister is a whole different story. Like you she has never had children and her animals have been her "babies".

She currently has a miniature greyhound and, in fact, works for a company that allows her to take her dog to work with her.  :shock:

She (the dog) was scared of my sister's Boss and so pee'd in his office on her first visit there.  :lol:  :lol:

She was so well-liked by one of my sister's co-workers that they now share 'custody'!!  :shock:  :lol:  :lol:

My sister will take the dog to work on Friday and the other girl will take her home for the weekend (every other weekend) and bring her back on Monday. I think when my sister was in school she would even take her during the week on the nights when my sister had class so that she wouldn't be at home 'alone'.  :D

I'd never heard of such a thing!!!  :wink:

Just thought I would share that!  :D

Chrissie

PS... her previous dog had his own leather jack and his own bedroom.  :shock:

bobf

Praying for pets
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 11:25:45 PM »

God takes the animals into account.

Jonah 4:10 And the Lord said, Thou hadst pity on the gourd, for which thou has not suffered, neither didst thou rear it; which came up before night, and perished before another night: 11 and shall not I spare Nineve, the great city, in which dwell more than twelve myriads of human beings, who do not know their right hand or their left hand; and also much cattle?

SandyFla

Praying for pets
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 02:49:23 PM »

Quote from: Isabell
Our pets live better than PEOPLE in some parts of the world, and yet here we are debating whether we should pray for them (the pets).  

Quote from: SandyFla
Don't Christians who oppose it ever read Matthew 10:29? - "Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father."

Also take note of the two verses following:

Matt 10:30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
Matt 10:31 Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.

1 Tim 2:1 Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for ALL MEN,
1 Tim 2:2 for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence.

Let's pray for other people first.  Some people in this world are living in horrendous, deplorable conditions that we cannot even imagine.  Children are starving to death in Africa while we eat plenty of fresh food every day and sit in our air-conditioned homes in front of a computer with high-speed internet access and talk about praying for our PETS.  This is ridiculous.

Isabell,

I do pray for people too. Show me where I said I didn't ... or where I said I believe we should pray for pets first.  :roll:

I also gave Scripture to back up that we are to bring ALL our cares to God. Please explain to me how pets are excluded in that verse.

Then you can say I'm being ridiculous.

I'm really wondering ... why did this thread get you so PO'd? Were you having a bad day?

Sandy

SandyFla

Praying for pets
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 02:50:55 PM »

Quote from: Sorin
Isabell, I agree, this is ridiculous. Sandy no offense to you or anything, my parents have a pet dog, and I am rather fond of her. But I don't view pets as
human beings. So what I'm getting at is, pets, such as cats and dogs in some cultures are eaten like we eat chicken. So in that sense wouldn't it be the same as praying for a chicken? And if so, would you pray for a chicken?

Yes, especially if it were part of my livelihood, as it is for most people who own chickens.

That would be part of "casting all my care on Him..."

TO THOSE WHO THINK THIS IS A RIDICULOUS THREAD: No one is forcing you to read it. Go on to something more to your liking.

longhorn

Praying for pets
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 02:59:39 PM »

Quote from: longhorn
I have a chicken named "Lucy" that follows me around like a dog and will sit in her chair(outside) in the mornings until I make her breakfast(grits).  I think her egg might have rolled to far from the nest before she hatched, because I really dont think she knows she's a chicken.

I dont recall ever praying for her, but she is fun to have around and she is taken good care of as are all my animals, I guess as long as I dont make her or any of my animals "Idols of my heart", it's ok.

Love in Christ
Longhorn

SandyFla, Lucy say's Thank You. :)

SandyFla

Praying for pets
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 05:09:35 PM »

Love in Christ
Longhorn

SandyFla, Lucy say's Thank You. :)

You're welcome, Lucy!  :D

Rosie

Re: Praying for pets
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 04:50:47 PM »

So what I'm getting at is, pets, such as cats and dogs in some cultures are eaten like we eat chicken. So in that sense wouldn't it be the same as praying for a chicken? And if so, would you pray for a chicken?

in some cultures they also eat people.

it's called cannibalism.

so what's your point???

rosie
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 04:52:08 PM by Rosie »

snorky

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006, 07:27:40 PM »

I've been wondering about this for a long time, because my kids (one is grown now and in college and the other is starting high school) have had various pets over the years. Many cats, a few hamsters, and my son's bevvy of fish. And out here where we live there is wildlife everywhere. Particularly when my daughter lost her favorite cats or her hamsters, she cried and prayed for them. When she was little she prayed for the animals, and, in fact, really has a way with them...handles horses like I've never seen. I don't see anything wrong with praying for pets or for asking God to lighten man's hearts so that abominations like factory farming can be done away with. There are so many more humane ways to treat "meat" animals. I believe when Christ returns animals will be treated exactly as God intended by man. Further, there are too many examples in the Bible where creatures themselves rejoice over Christ/the Lord. Further you have specifically Mark 16:15, "Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every CREATURE." I figure the least we can do is not make a big deal if someone wants to pray for a pet.

snorky

Scribbles

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 10:43:30 PM »

I've been away from the computer for a couple of weeks due to a crash, and having to take it in to the shop, etc. During the years, I've had to go without a 'puter, and it's really hard on me......lol.....I'm on it daily, it's a main source of communication, knowledge.....etc....and these last couple of months I've spent nearly everyday studying from Ray's site, or reading here at the forums, and when the 'puter crashed and I had to "go without".....I thought I'd go nuts...lol.......

So many times while reading the forums, I feel like I'm sitting at a table, with a cup of coffee, listening to all the banter from my brothers ad sisters in the Lord.....whether its deep spiritual talks, or lighthearted chats concerning our dear pets. I could hardly wait to get some of my programs downloaded and the 'puter running again, as I wanted to come in here and get caught up. While I was surprised at some of the recent posts, it was sooooo comforting to see your post about the pets. I have 3 cats, and all 3 were rescued, and are very precious to me. I've often seen where people have ask whether....."pets go to heaven"...."will we see our beloved pets again someday".....(and like yours....)..."praying for them"...........all I know is that some of those christians teach that animals don't have souls or spirits, and that 'nothing unclean' will inherit the kingdom of God. While I dont agree with either statement, I do wish we knew more, but as some others have already pointed out, there's plenty of scriptures to let us know how the Lord feels, and teaches about his creatures, and our pets. In the world we live in, in this day and age, its a blessing to know that we've been blessed with such precious little critters as our friends. I'm glad you brought this subject up. We're free to "gather around" and talk about other things outside of our biblical studyings, etc.....that's why different forums were created.....lol......so, I think I'll go make another cup of coffee and go do some more reading....... ;)
Scribbles
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.