bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just say No  (Read 5640 times)

longhorn

Just say No
« on: February 16, 2010, 07:26:12 PM »

I just got through re-reading Ray's " Praying by God's rules ", and I was reminded of something that happend a couple of months ago.  I was talking with a longtime good friend...well, he used to call me his friend, and the discussion of Free Will came up.  I realized very quickly this was not a subject that was even worth talking about with this person.  After exchanging pleasantries I mentioned Ray's site.  This guy is a youth minister at a Baptist church, and before I left he asked if he could pray for me.  All I could think of is what Ray mentioned in his article, " Would Jesus have asked for prayer from the blind man that he healed?  Would Joseph had asked for pray from his brothers when they came to him to buy bread? 

Anyway, I told him that I did not want him to pray for me because He and I do not live in the same Spiritual house. Not only did he not understand, he got MAD.  Haven't heard from him since.  Was I right in doing this? 

p.s.

I don't reply to to many threads because I type like I have hooves belonging to an overweight clydesdale that has been standing on concrete it's entire life.

Love in Christ

Longhorn

Samson

Re: Just say No
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 07:48:38 PM »

I just got through re-reading Ray's " Praying by God's rules ", and I was reminded of something that happend a couple of months ago.  I was talking with a longtime good friend...well, he used to call me his friend, and the discussion of Free Will came up.  I realized very quickly this was not a subject that was even worth talking about with this person.  After exchanging pleasantries I mentioned Ray's site.  This guy is a youth minister at a Baptist church, and before I left he asked if he could pray for me.  All I could think of is what Ray mentioned in his article, " Would Jesus have asked for prayer from the blind man that he healed?  Would Joseph had asked for pray from his brothers when they came to him to buy bread? 

Anyway, I told him that I did not want him to pray for me because He and I do not live in the same Spiritual house. Not only did he not understand, he got MAD.  Haven't heard from him since.  Was I right in doing this? 

p.s.

I don't reply to to many threads because I type like I have hooves belonging to an overweight clydesdale that has been standing on concrete it's entire life.

Love in Christ

Longhorn

Hey Longhorn,

I don't know exactly what you should have done regarding this Friend "praying for you." Does Ray's article about Praying By God's Rules say anything ? I would tell him to go ahead, if you want to, and thank him for considering me. If their was any hint from him that he was praying for me, because of what I believe from Bible Truths, that would be different. In this case, I would tell him I didn't need him to pray for me regarding the Truths I've learned from this Site, otherwise, if his intention was to Pray for me in general, with good motives, because he cared for me, then I wouldn't discourage him, just thank him and be on my way. I don't see any benefit in offending anyone, just for the sake of it, it doesn't do you any good or him any good, unless it's clear your comprising the Scriptures and your conscience, but I don't see it, based on what you wrote above.

Kind Regards, Samson.

longhorn

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 08:32:24 PM »

Samson

That's exactly why I think he felt the need to pray for me.  I think he assumed I was possessed by the devil.

Love in Christ

Longhorn

Samson

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 08:57:18 PM »

Samson

That's exactly why I think he felt the need to pray for me.  I think he assumed I was possessed by the devil.

Love in Christ

Longhorn

Longhorn,

Apparently, at this time, you don't need him to be " Your Friend " or His prayers for that matter. Unless, God in His due time opens his Spiritual eyes about the Truths you learned, it would be better, for now, to not discuss Spiritual Things with him, the next time you bump into him. Ray made a Statement or saying in some of his Emails(It's my favorite): " He who is convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."

Keep on Truckin, Samson.

Fester

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Yes a pancake!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 09:28:22 PM »

A church goer wants to pray for me ... how dreadful!
Someone thinking about me and caring enough to pray for me ... oh my.
I am so sensitive.  Let's build up some walls and run those Orthodox Christians away.

I see no harm in having anyone pray for me!

Just say YES!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 09:55:42 PM by Fester »
"Christianity began as a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. When it went to Athens, it became a philosophy. When it went to Rome, it became an organization. When it went to Europe, it became a culture. When it came to America, it became a business."

Roy Martin

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 09:42:01 PM »

Hi Longhorn, I wouldn't have let him pray for me either. I might have asked if I could have prayed for him but even then I would have just said your will be done, amen.

Roy

Roy Coates

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 12:36:04 AM »

Longhorn,
I can only offer you what I did in just such a case. I allowed it, I felt uneasy, I  focused on Jesus and prayed that I wanted nothing but Jesus and left it at that. He wanted to pray that I found the truth, little did he know that the truth was not the same as what he believed. Trust in God and that He inspired you to do exactly what He wanted you to do for His reasons. Peace

barrabus

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 10:05:45 PM »

I let an old friend pray for me... I was leaving the hardware store and we sort of bumped into each other... he asked if he could pray for me etc... I said yes and ... all I can say is I felt very uncomfortable... he prayed very loudly drawing attention to us... I know in the past when praying publically I have come to the realization that I was actually praying to the people that may have been listening... I don't know if he was trying to impress others or if he was sincere... probably a little of both... The relationship I have with Christ now is much more personal... I don't feel like I'm ashamed of my faith even though that is how some people percieve it... I don't know of a gracious way of refusing public prayer yet... my wife is still very active in our church and very defensive if I try to talk about any thing that is differant than what our pastor says... It is getting harder to sit through the sermons though... My prayers are turning more to asking God what He wants me to do instead of asking Him to do things for me.... I guess I need to send that prayer to God when someone asks to pray for me... 

Linny

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 10:43:59 PM »

You know Longhorn, it sounds to me like he was being condescending when he asked to pray for you. I think if you'd been talking about a need of yours or your family's and he'd asked, I'd said yes so as not to offend him.
But since he asked for the apparent reason he felt you needed help because you had lost your marbles, I agree with what you did.
I probably would have asked him what he wanted to pray for me for and tell him he could feel free to do so when he was alone with the Lord!  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.