bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mind body connection  (Read 5145 times)

gallenwalsh

Mind body connection
« on: February 16, 2010, 10:17:40 PM »

The apostle Paul spoke of his inner battle and made mention of his body being a body of death.The struggle to master his body. etc. So I pose the question: Is the body part of the problem or is it all in the mind ? I know that my body with all it's hormonal productivity has got me into a lot of trouble, if anyone has ever had a problem with their endocrine system in any way, ( blood sugar, hormones:adrenalin,testosterone, even brain chemistry) you know what I'm talking about.How is it the spirit of god is to overcome all of this ? I know the apostle Paul made mention of the spirit helping the body as well.Sometimes I feel as if I am spirit trapped in this miserably weak body that makes me do the things I do not want to do most definitely. Any insights ?

mharrell08

Re: Mind body connection
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 11:47:39 PM »

The apostle Paul spoke of his inner battle and made mention of his body being a body of death.The struggle to master his body. etc. So I pose the question: Is the body part of the problem or is it all in the mind ? I know that my body with all it's hormonal productivity has got me into a lot of trouble, if anyone has ever had a problem with their endocrine system in any way, ( blood sugar, hormones:adrenalin,testosterone, even brain chemistry) you know what I'm talking about.How is it the spirit of god is to overcome all of this ? I know the apostle Paul made mention of the spirit helping the body as well.Sometimes I feel as if I am spirit trapped in this miserably weak body that makes me do the things I do not want to do most definitely. Any insights ?

Gallenwalsh,

A person's 'body of death' [Rom 7:24] is speaking of the carnality of a person...not their literal body.

Also, Ray had a great study from the last conference about qualifying for the Kingdom in a limited capacity (finances, personal health, etc.):

From 2009 Bible Conference (http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,10966.0.html):

WHAT DO YOU THINK ALL DAY LONG?

So you become what you think about all day. If you think about God and His ways and His law, you can accomplish things, you can build things and you can acquire fruits of the spirit and so on.  Because the law is spiritual.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true…

You know I just pray all the time that God will show me the truth and that what I teach will be the truth.  You know we have opened each day (with prayer), but I already prayed before I got here… prayed on the way over…. prayed last night… prayed when I was putting the notes together.  But we pray as kind of a public type thing, a corporate prayer I guess and maybe for your benefit. 

But that’s not the first time I asked God to show me some truth to give you.  When I read books like this, I don’t assume I have all understanding.  So if I’m going to waste hundreds of hours studying the subject then show me, show me the truth. I’m open to the truth God.  I don’t want to protect some pet philosophy of mine, I want to know the truth, show me.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true (we want to stick with the truth), whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, THINK ON THESE THINGS.
v. 9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me,  DO: and the God of peace shall be with you.

So, when Paul tells me that Jesus Christ created everything, visible and the invisible, I think on those things and I believe them and I do them and I teach them.  I don’t say, oh that’s just John and Paul talking about that nonsense, nobody else.

If it’s true… it’s true.  If it’s the word of God, don’t demean it.  If it’s something that is totally foreign and heretical as far as God is concerned, don’t teach it and don’t believe it.

So, if you read Romans through to Philemon, those are Paul’s 13 writings, there’s a lot to read and heed, isn’t there?  Probably a couple of hundred things.

Let’s go to a little book that nobody hardly bothers about.  It’s a great book, it’s two pages… Titus.

I have underscored in my Bible everything in Titus that Paul says we should do or think.  In two pages I think it’s 72 things he says we should do or think or be.  Seventy two things in two pages.  Now don’t quote me on that, because I’m not sure, but it seems like it is something like that, seventy two, but it is a huge number of things. 

So when he says, “those things, which you have both learned and received and heard in me, DO.”  Then I have the last book, we’ll start with Romans.

Romans 12:1  I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice…

Now there’s something to do!

In Philemon and that is not even a whole page in the Bible.  He says something in there that is very profound. 

Phm 1:18  If he hath wronged you, PUT IT ON MY ACCOUNT… I will repay it.

He comes to the rescue of Onesimus, a runaway slave and he tells Philemon that if he is taken from you or has short-changed you in any way, put it on my account.  Can we learn from stuff like that?  You bet we can, you bet we learn a lot.

If you follow these instructions and you do what it says and believe what it says is true and you do them year after year, you are going to become like that, you know.  That’s what you will become!  (Notes) If you read your Bible daily and study them thoroughly and follow and do what it admonishes… think on these things… meditate on God’s laws… God’s ways… forgive everyone and love everyone.  Follow and do these instructions everyday for the rest of your lives and you will BECOME WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT!  You will be ready to take on responsibilities in God’s Kingdom.

Isaiah 26:9  With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early: for when thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness.

Who is going to teach them righteousness and execute these “judgments in the earth?” WE ARE.

1 Corinthians 6:2  Know ye not that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?
V. 3  Know ye not that we shall judge angels?

You can’t judge anybody, if we haven’t first judged ourselves and learned to do everything that the scriptures tell us.

Hope this helps,

Marques

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Re: Mind body connection
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 08:51:28 AM »

I feel as if I am spirit trapped in this miserably weak body that makes me do the things I do not want to do most definitely. Any insights ?

You are trapped in a miserably weak body.

You are in good company, Paul stated

Romans 7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
From the Living Bible: I don't understand myself at all, for I really want to do what is right, but I can't. I do what I don't want to - I do what I hate.

Craig
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.