bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 Peter 3:9?  (Read 4477 times)

Lupac

2 Peter 3:9?
« on: February 21, 2010, 03:42:02 PM »

I have a question regarding 2 Peter 3:9. I'm sure everyone knows this verse. But I'll quote it anyway:  ;D

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Okay, here's my question, earlier in the chapter, it says this: (Verses 3-4)

Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

And it says this in verse 8:

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

It seems to be saying, in verse 9, that the reason Jesus has not returned yet is He is not willing that any should parish. It seemed to me, looking through the lens of Babylon, that it means He's not willing that any should parish, that would be saved if He "delayed" His coming. I know that's not right, but maybe I could get some support? Thank you.

Samson

Re: 2 Peter 3:9?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 04:57:13 PM »

I have a question regarding 2 Peter 3:9. I'm sure everyone knows this verse. But I'll quote it anyway:  ;D

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Okay, here's my question, earlier in the chapter, it says this: (Verses 3-4)

Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

And it says this in verse 8:

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

It seems to be saying, in verse 9, that the reason Jesus has not returned yet is He is not willing that any should parish. It seemed to me, looking through the lens of Babylon, that it means He's not willing that any should parish, that would be saved if He "delayed" His coming. I know that's not right, but maybe I could get some support? Thank you.

Lupac,

Below is an excerpt of paragraphs from the Transcript: Does All mean All regarding the Greek Word "Ou" translated in English as " no, not, never, none."  All of this is in reference to 2 Peter. 3:9. Remember, stop concerning yourself with Christendom's Theologians God of Context, Context, Context. They don't like the idea of everyone eventually being saved, so they have to somehow explain away that verse your considering. Show me a verse where God says he desires or wills that All will perish, there isn't any, but here's a clearcut verse saying He(God) desires(Gk-Thelo) that none(Gk-Ou; none, no, not, never) perish or are destroyed(Gk-Apollumi-lost, losing,perish, destroy). Anyway, read Ray's excerpt below in blue.

2 Peter 3:9  The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

I want to get us out of every old mind set.  In your old mind set, most will look at that verse and what will be the proof that all will be saved?  He is going to bring ‘all’ to repentance.  But that’s the word pas, which can mean many.  But don’t give up on this verse so quickly, there is more to it.  Let’s put a little deduction to work here.

I’m going to go and take the most difficult scenario first, of how to prove these things.  From here they will get simpler.

So the Lord is ‘not,’ that word ou.  Now we just established that it always means, no - not - any - never, with no exception, right.  Because if there is as exception then you can get into the kingdom of God without doing the will of the Father, if there is one exception.  So this word ‘ou’ means absolutely none.  Now let’s read it with the salvation of people in mind.

2 Peter 3:9  “The Lord is not (Gk. #3856 ou - no, not, nay, never ever, none, zero) slack concerning His promise (so is there any slackness at all in God‘s promises?  No, not at all, none), as some count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not (Gk. #3361 - mē, not, any, neither, never, no, none, nor, nothing) willing (Gk. #1014 bulimia, there is no slackness that God is not in any way willing, disposed, minded or intended) that any (Gk. #5100 tis - some, any, a, any {thing, thing at all}, certain, divers, every, man, one, ought, some {man, body, thing, what} no thing.  So how many is God willing or intending are going to perish?  This is talking about our destiny, not in this life time.   how many?   Not even one, zero, not some, not any, not at all any ) should perish (Gk. apollumi - perish, destroy, lose) but that all (Gk. Pas - all, as many as.  We can take that out, forget the word all, you don‘t need it.  Put ‘that they,’ who? Anybody who doesn’t come under the category of none) should come to repentance.”

Are you following this?  This is all based on the negative.  How many that don’t come under the category of none, not any, not any man, not any woman, not any thing, none whatsoever, nothing.  Now if you are not in that category, you are going to come to repentance and not have a destiny of perishing or perished - apollumi.  How many is that?  Everyone does not come under the mē, the none, so it includes everyone.  Therefore the “all” in that verse is everyone who is not included in the “any,” and that’s EVERYONE!

Now we understand that all humanity is in a state of ‘apollumi,’ sometimes.  Because apollumi meaning destroy, perish or lose.  All mankind are lost, so it’s not talking about in this lifetime that no one will ever be destroyed or die or be perished or not be spiritually lost, as their destiny, because this life time they do.  But ultimately our destiny for everyone, is to be unperished or lost.  None, because the negative here proves it.  If there is even one that comes under that category, it can’t come under that category, because that category doesn’t include anyone, it’s a negative, no one.  He’s not willing that anyone, no one be perishing or lost forever.  There again the apollumi, Christ said I’ve come to save those that are apollumi.  When the scripture say, “the Lord is not slack,”  is there any room for slackness?  No.  A little slackness?  No.  No slackness at all.  When He says, “…is not willing that any should perish,”  it proves the positive side.  The negative proves the positive side.  

If I say to a group of people, none of you will go hungry today.  Does that not prove that somehow they are going to be fed.  Because if don’t any of them go hungry, but if they are not fed, then they will go hungry.  So the fact that you say, I promise you, no one in here will go hungry today, if you fulfill that promise, somehow you got to feed them.  

So when God says, no one, not even one will perish.  So guess what?  He has to save them, He has to or He’s lying.  But we would base this scripture on the word all.  You don’t need the word all, take it out, just put in the word they.  So however many ‘they’ and we know however many they are.  They are as many as are not included in the none.  How many are included in the none?  NONE!  Then who are the ‘they’?  They are everyone!  You got it?  Okay.  
God gave us minds sometimes we have to use them, right?  

He says, “not willing…”  that is not intending, not mindful to do it.  But they argue like they do in 1 Tim. 2.

1Tim 2:4  “Who will have all men to be saved….”

God wills that all men be saved, they say the will just means a wish.  Well how strong is that wish?  Let’s see.

Isaiah 46:10  declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things that are not yet done; saying, My counsel shall stand, and I WILL DO ALL MY PLEASURE;

Well you may say, yea that word all, but it’s the same Hebrew word kole, it’s still means all, complete or many.  But we’re not going to base it on that.  

Isaiah 46:11  calling a ravenous bird from the east,  and a man that executes my counsel from a far country: yea, I have spoken, I will also bring it to pass; I have purposed it, I WILL ALSO DO IT.

That’s emphatic.  If God has desired it, spoken it, purposed it, He will do it, you can’t get away from that.  You may say, ‘well, but only some of the things.’  Then you are making God a liar.  Has God said it’s His will that all men be saved?  Yes.  What did He say about that?  “I’ve spoken it…”  Well guess what, if “…I have spoken it….I will also do it.”  How would God get out of that?  

Kind Regards, Samson.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 02:43:40 AM by Samson »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 17 queries.