bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thomas and Holy Spirit  (Read 5162 times)

HoneyLamb56

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Thomas and Holy Spirit
« on: February 23, 2010, 12:19:50 AM »

When Jesus appeared to the desciples after the resurrection John 20:22 says "He breathed on them and said receive the Holy Spirit; Thomas wasn't there at that time;  I was asked this question and I couldn't immediately answer; I presumed that he received it when he saw Jesus later when he doubted (versus 24-27)?  Or that he received it at Pentecost.  I don't know history or scriptures well enough to speculate.  Any comments?

mharrell08

Re: Thomas and Holy Spirit
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 07:30:47 AM »

When Jesus appeared to the desciples after the resurrection John 20:22 says "He breathed on them and said receive the Holy Spirit; Thomas wasn't there at that time;  I was asked this question and I couldn't immediately answer; I presumed that he received it when he saw Jesus later when he doubted (versus 24-27)?  Or that he received it at Pentecost.  I don't know history or scriptures well enough to speculate.  Any comments?

Excerpt from Lake of Fire part 8 (http://bible-truths.com/lake8.html):

On Pentecost, Jesus Christ came back to His disciples just as He said He would. He came back as the Comforter. Jesus said that they absolutely could NOT receive the Comforter until He went away. Why? Because Jesus Christ IS THE COMFORTER, but not in the flesh, but in THE SPIRIT!

It was on Pentecost that the first members of the Church of Christ received the Holy Spirit Comforter, just as He symbolized to them when He blew on them, showing that He Himself would come to them in spirit by the will of God. Now for the first time, His disciples were truly converted, baptized in Holy Spirit, possessing the mind of Christ, lead into all Truth (Jesus) by the Comforter—Jesus was NOW BUILDING HIS CHURCH!

"But the Comforter [Greek, parakletos, also called the Consoler, and in I John 2:1, Advocate in KJV, and Entreater in the CLNT] which IS the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you" (John 14:26).

The Advocate or Entreater in I John 2:1 IS the parakletos, The Comforter or Consoler of John 14:26 IS the parakletos,. and we are told that it is Jesus Christ Himself. Furthermore, the "Holy Spirit" that is said to come AS the Comforter is also Jesus Christ,

"Now the Lord IS that Spirit: and where the Spirit OF THE Lord [Jesus Christ] is, there is liberty" (II Cor. 3:17)

Christ 'blew or breathed' on the disciples as a symbol of HOW He would return to them...as the Holy Spirit at the day of Pentecost. Thomas was present at this event:

Acts 1:12-15, 2:1-2  Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey. And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and THOMAS, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James.

These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren. And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples...when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they
(including Thomas) were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

Hope this helps,

Marques

myms

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 03:09:54 PM »

'Christ 'blew or breathed' on the disciples as a symbol of HOW He would return to them...as the Holy Spirit at the day of Pentecost.'
I can't find the verse where it says this, please can someone point me to it?

mharrell08

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 03:28:05 PM »

'Christ 'blew or breathed' on the disciples as a symbol of HOW He would return to them...as the Holy Spirit at the day of Pentecost.'
I can't find the verse where it says this, please can someone point me to it?

Here you go Myms,

John 20:21-22  Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you. And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost

Marques
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.