bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1 Cor. 16. Tithing?  (Read 4429 times)

Lupac

1 Cor. 16. Tithing?
« on: February 28, 2010, 12:35:36 PM »

I don't think Ray said anything about these verses in his paper on tithing. 1 Corinthians 16:1-4

Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.
And when I come, whomsoever ye shall approve by your letters, them will I send to bring your liberality unto Jerusalem.
And if it be meet that I go also, they shall go with me.

I agree very much with Ray on tithing, but what do these verses mean? Why was money being collected? YLT seems to change key words, so what is correct?

And concerning the collection that is for the saints, as I directed to the assemblies of Galatia, so also ye--do ye;
on every first day of the week, let each one of you lay by him, treasuring up whatever he may have prospered, that when I may come then collections may not be made;
and whenever I may come, whomsoever ye may approve, through letters, these I will send to carry your favour to Jerusalem;
and if it be meet for me also to go, with me they shall go.

Thanks

mharrell08

Re: 1 Cor. 16. Tithing?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 12:41:45 PM »

I don't think Ray said anything about these verses in his paper on tithing. 1 Corinthians 16:1-4

Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.
And when I come, whomsoever ye shall approve by your letters, them will I send to bring your liberality unto Jerusalem.
And if it be meet that I go also, they shall go with me.

I agree very much with Ray on tithing, but what do these verses mean? Why was money being collected? YLT seems to change key words, so what is correct?

And concerning the collection that is for the saints, as I directed to the assemblies of Galatia, so also ye--do ye;
on every first day of the week, let each one of you lay by him, treasuring up whatever he may have prospered, that when I may come then collections may not be made;
and whenever I may come, whomsoever ye may approve, through letters, these I will send to carry your favour to Jerusalem;
and if it be meet for me also to go, with me they shall go.

Thanks

Email and reply from Ray (http://bible-truths.com/e-tithe.html):

L. Ray,

Hello, I am writing again to ask you about 1 Corinth. 16:2. What is Paul saying here? You have got me thinking!!!

I talked to some of the men in our Bible Study group, and this is one of the questions that came up. Is he not talking about tithing?

Thanks for your time.

Chas

[Ray replies]

Dear Chas:

Thank you for your question.

NO! - I Cor. 16 is not speaking about tithing!

There was a famine in Judea and so Paul out of loving concern for the saints in Jerusalem took up a collection of food and necessities to be taken up to Jerusalem when He came to them.

"Now concerning the  COLLECTION..."

Tithing was never called a "collection" it was called a "tithe."

"...for the SAINTS..."

God did not institute a law of tithing for "the saints." Levites received the tithe, not "the saints."

"...even as I prescribe..."

This is PAUL'S prescription, NOT THE LAW OF MOSES!

"...to the churches of GALATIA..."

This was not a law of tithing that would have been in force on ALL THE CHURCHES EVERYWHERE, but only Galatia and the Corinthians.

"On ONE of the sabbaths..."

This was not a regular collection of tithes, but a SPECIAL collection for the destitute saints in Jerusalem. They didn't do this every week, but rather on "ONE of the sabbaths..."

"...let each of you lay aside by himself in store that in which he should be prospered..."

Notice that it was NOT a tithe, it was not fulfilling a law, and only those who were prospered were to give.

"...that NO COLLECTIONS MAY BE OCCURRING THEN, WHENEVER I MAY COME."

Paul didn't want to wait around when he came for people to start gathering things up for the saints in Jerusalem. He wanted everything collected and ready to go as soon as Paul got there. This obviously was not a collection of MONEY!!!

It is just amazing to me how people will grasp at straws to try and sustain their heretical teaching. I have already received a half-dozen e-mails quoting Paul saying not the muzzle the threshing floor ox, etc., as supposed proofs of tithing. TOTAL NONSENSE! These poor people are fighting the word of God. They do not have a LOVE OF THE TRUTH. It is so sad. The Scriptures are just not that complicated.  Paul never taught tithing to the Gentiles. Paul never collected tithes from the Gentiles.

See if this answer will help your group understand.

Sincerely in Christ's service,

Ray

Hope this helps,

Marques

Lupac

Re: 1 Cor. 16. Tithing?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 03:34:58 PM »

Thank you. I searched through Ray's emails before I posted but I couldn't find it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.