bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A song for life; by Eric Johnson  (Read 5647 times)

Roy Martin

A song for life; by Eric Johnson
« on: March 09, 2010, 10:28:58 AM »

Stacey

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: A song for life; by Eric Johnson
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 10:47:03 AM »

Wow, wish I could do that! Dang fingers just won't cooperate  ;D Yeah, it looks easy, for him:)
Stacey

Roy Martin

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 10:52:08 AM »

What Stacey, you can't do that? I can do it all night long in my dreams.

Stacey

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 10:55:35 AM »

Because I know without a doubt Roy that you are a straight shooter, I believe you.  ;D

Arc, if you read this topic, I know you can't see the videos. Its a guy playing a complicated music piece on a guitar...um git-fiddle and making it look pretty easy.  :)
Stacey

Roy Martin

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 11:07:24 AM »

It might take me a few months, :P but I will learn to play this song. 8) I just started working on it. Eric Johnson is one of my most favorite guitar players.

Ninny

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 11:10:43 AM »

Roy, that's amazing! It makes me sad to see someone playing like that...My son is an awesome guitar player..but he developed carpal tunnel and his hand would go numb and very painful..he couldn't feel the strings beneath his fingers! He hasn't played in several years now..He will be 38 in  a couple of weeks and it breaks my heart that he can't do what he loves! BUT I saw this past week that he posted on his Facebook that he is going to start trying to play again! Please pray that God will allow him to play his guitar again!!  

Musicians are special people to me, because it takes discipline to learn to play an instrument or multiple instruments well...It's especially sad when the most talented musicians often are the ones who become drug addicts and live such tragic lives...

We have some musicians among us, here on the forum!! Roy....Musicman....who else? I know there are others....
OH! I forgot..how could I forget Dave in Tenn.. :D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 11:13:19 AM by Ninny »

Astrapho

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 11:45:03 AM »

Ahh! I remember you typed something about that a few months ago... Dang I was hoping that by now he would have recovered enough to play... I hope he succeeds, being unable to play the instrument you love is simply the worst thing that can happen to a musician. :( My prayers go with him.

That is a really beautiful piece, some really sweet chords in there... Dang, I'm really starting to like it. Roy, I shall join you in the quest to learn this piece up!!

-whisper-on the insanity scale of 1-10, how difficult is this piece? 8D -whisper-

Roy Martin

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 12:36:01 PM »

Well lets get busy Astrapho. Who wouldn't love this song? Kick it in on a good sound system to get the best of it.
 On a scale of 1-10, being that the right hand won't be that much of a challenge for me. I learned Black Bird by the Beatles in a week, which of course this song won't be that easy at all. I would say a tough 5-6, maybe less, but that number could easily go up a bit as I get into it. We will see, but its the challenge that inspires me to overcome it, and not only that but in learning a song like this causes one to tap deeper into their own imagination and talent that brings forth ideas for new originals, and possibility's never considered in creativity.

Ninny, I also remember your sons story. My heart goes out to him, and yours.
 There has to be a way for him to play again. I can't miss a day of not playing. It draws me like a nicotine habit. I took all my strings off yesterday to put new ones on, and clean it, and when I went to put the new strings on I saw the tail bridge had fell out, and I couldn't find it anywhere. I was going nuts trying to find it thinking I might have to go several days before I could get another one. I had Silvia looking for it. It was the darndess thing. How could this thing just disappear when I went only from one room to another, dark hardwood floors. Silvia said," Roy you had to go somewhere else with your guitar in your hand. I said," no! I know exactly where I went, and the darn thing has disappeared into thin air. Its white and I should be able to see it, but its gone. Well after going temporarily insane of trying to find it , I finally gave up, and a few minutes later Silvia walked up to me with it in her hand, and asked, is this it? Where in the heck did you find that? On the laundry room floor. she said. Now I remember going in there carrying my guitar to get a cleaning rag.
 So as you can see, I have to play everyday or I go nuts. The whole family is at peace when I get to play, and sometimes their not at peace when I play. :D

Peace
Roy
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 04:08:24 PM by Roy Martin »

Ninny

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 03:07:55 PM »

Roy, you made me laugh! I remember when my son was 7 years old and we lived in Hawaii, we made a big sacrifice at that time and bought our sons Ukuleles from the Kamaka ukulele factory in Honolulu it was quite a big deal..we paid $52.00 apiece for those things! Everyone said why did you pay so much for them you could have gone to the PX and bought them one for ten dollars! Well our older son, Mike, shut himself in his room every day after school and played that uke until my husband almost blew a gasket from hearing it day in and day out!! The younger son..played around with it, but not seriously..Well here we are some 31 years later and my older son took every guitar lesson he could afford..he took lessons later on just to have someone to play with! My younger son has a beautiful voice and can sing, but he wishes now he'd have applied himself a little more and learned the guitar better..he can accompany himself..but that's about it! 

So anyway, I can identify with being at peace and NOT being at peace!!  :D
Kathy ;)

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 07:41:35 AM »

Thank you Stacey.

Yes, I don't get to see the clips so any comment may just sound too out of the ball park...well more than usual that is! :D ;D

Arc

Roy Martin

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 09:30:54 AM »

Astapho, wow! this is going to take a little longer, but I'll get it.

Roy

Astrapho

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 03:01:24 PM »

Hahaha, great stories Ninny and Roy. :D That really makes me wonder how close my parents were to going crazy at the endless stream of piano music all day when I was obsessed with learning up all of Ravel's Sonatine a few months back... And it's in the living room, which makes it slightly worse than Mike's case. x_x Yeah having someone to play with is really great fun, though I'm not sure if I'd pay that person for it! :D

Roy, I can so feel you on that nicotine thing... Fractured my finger a while back, and I probably made it worse by playing the piano on it despite it not being fully recovered... Two days was the max I could go without playing. :( I can play almost normally now, but the finger became very fragile. Small price to pay, I guess.

Dang, it sure is challenging, I'm really out of practice. xD At least it's getting me out of my little comfy zone. You're almost done with it?!  :o

judith collier

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 05:40:44 AM »

Why can't Arcturus see the videos???

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 10:28:28 AM »

Hi Judy

Last year the phone lines connecting my shop and home were stolen. This means I have access to internet via my cell phone that is very expensive. It is a luxury and privilege to have every minute that I enjoy here in the Forum.

I have to prioritize how I use the time I have here in the Forum. The utube and the other links to videos take far too long to down load. I prefer to spend the time hearing what everyone is saying rather than enjoying the variety of artistic clips that occasionally are shared here in the Forum. I know I miss out on many happy exchanges. :)

Arc
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.