bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ephesians 4:6  (Read 6055 times)

Oatmeal

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Ephesians 4:6
« on: March 15, 2010, 12:32:42 AM »

I have a question in regard to Ephesians 4:6

Ephesians 4:6 (KJV)
One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Some versions do not have the "you".

For example: (ASV) one God and Father of all, who is over all, and through all, and in all.

I noticed that the Greek versions differ.

Some have υμιν or ημιν at the end, and some do not, the υμιν corresponding to the “you”.

I looked up (a limited compilation of?) Tischendorfs spurious texts but did not find the reference.

What is the status of the "you".  Thanks
From Micah 7:9:  By the grace and call of Yahweh I will bear the trials of the narrow way, because I have no love, until He fully shows me my sin and I am judged by Him.  He will bring me forth to the light, and I shall see His righteousness.

Marky Mark

Re: Ephesians 4:6
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 12:15:44 PM »

Hello Oatmeal.

In my understanding of Scripture, when the word you or ye is used it always gives indication that the Word is talking directly to the few chosen elect to whom the Word has given the ability to see and hear the Truth of the Spirit.Some translations omit the you but I believe that has no negative effect on the one who can understand what the Word is saying in and of the Spirit.

If the Father wants you,there is no getting away from it ;).

Peace...Mark

Roy Coates

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 04:26:57 PM »

I read this Eph 4:6 in all my available translations and I get the pretty much the same message regardless of the "you" being present or not.

Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 1 Co 3:16

Oatmeal

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 06:55:40 PM »

Thanks for your replies.  I wasn’t concerned about the verse in reference to me but in reference to when I was sharing it with others.

My feelings are that the “you” would be included even if the “you” were not there because “in all” includes “you”.  If the “you” is not in the original language then I think that it unnecessarily lessens the “in all”.  This verse is a powerful message as to the sovereignty and power and all-compassing love and involvement of God and I want to share it accurately.

I think that those of us who are seeking to be one of the elect should have an attitude of wanting all we meet to become one of the elect before we do.

If I have said anything stupid or incorrect then please correct me. :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 05:50:44 PM by Oatmeal »
From Micah 7:9:  By the grace and call of Yahweh I will bear the trials of the narrow way, because I have no love, until He fully shows me my sin and I am judged by Him.  He will bring me forth to the light, and I shall see His righteousness.

aqrinc

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 04:11:42 AM »

Hi Oatmeal,

Maybe the verses below can help explain the (you). That is how close to us GOD And our Savior Jesus Christ Are All The Time.

Act 17:27-28 (GNB)
27  He did this so that they would look for him, and perhaps find him as they felt around for him. Yet God is actually not far from any one of us;
28  as someone has said, 'In him we live and move and exist.' It is as some of your poets have said, 'We too are his children.'

george ;D.

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 08:28:51 AM »

All means all Oatmeal.

That would include not exclude you. :)

Ref also: Does All mean All? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Biblestudy Sept. 2007

Arc

AK4

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 01:50:15 PM »

IMO i think the you shouldnt be there because we know that God will save all in heaven and earth and under the earth.  With the you there it kinda seems as if this excludes some, like the angels including satan.  With the you there It makes it sound as if God is not working all in all.

Just my opinion

Anthony

Oatmeal

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 09:58:14 PM »

Thank you Anthony

I also think that the verse is better without the "you" and that is why I wanted to know if the "you" was actually supposed to be there.

Perhaps I don't express myself clearly.  I sure try to.

I am disappointed because it seems as if some do not read posts carefully or is it me that needs writing and comprehension lessons?  I am not trying to be cruel or nasty.

I am so tired with life but I just met someone who is worse off than me.  I sure wouldn't want to swap places with him.  The knowledge that I have is so precious, something many many people do not have.  Thank you for the encouragement, Creator God!

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 04:18:30 AM »

I am disappointed

I am sorry you feel that way Oatmeal.

There is no mean spiritedness in your Thread that I can see.

Roy wrote fair comment  : I get the pretty much the same message regardless of the "you" being present or not.

Mark offered : Some translations omit the you

I put a  :) on my contribution that invites further study into a Bible Study.

I do not see any offence in your thread at all so perhaps you need not be so disappointed.   :) Also remember, the written word does not carry the feelings of the author. Often a post might seem sarcastic, high handed or just plain mean.

I agree what is left for us to do, is to be more careful how we express ourselves and we can all learn from that. Non of us are perfect....yet  ;)

Criticizing is a negative thing. You have to know what the attitude of heart is.....
L Ray Smith Repentance Transcript

Arc
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 04:30:46 AM by Arcturus »

Roy Coates

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 12:46:42 PM »

I reviewed the thread too and didn't see any problems. Could be that there is some behind the scene(pm's) communications. Hang in there Oatmeal

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 11:04:09 PM »

Hi Oatmeal.  I understood your question, but I'm not a bible scholar.  I don't know why the greek word is in some greek versions and not others.  As far as translations go, in my collection, the KJV and the older of the Literal translations (LITV and YLT) have the 'you' in English, so presumably are using Greek texts which contain it.  The CLV (another 'literal' translation, but newer) and other newer not-literal translations do not have the word 'you'.

I'm guessing it would be helpful to know what Greek manuscripts were used in the various translations.  But it might also be that the older 'literal' translations give some deference to the KJV here.  Maybe that will point you in the right direction.  Ray may also be able to answer.       
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

judith collier

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 06:44:21 AM »

Hi Oatmeal, even if the word YOU is taken out it says IN ALL. You, me, ALL. Judy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.