bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Retirement planning  (Read 4576 times)

SandyFla

Retirement planning
« on: June 21, 2006, 03:59:47 PM »

Matthew 6:24-34

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor
gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

I've been thinking about my plans for retirement for quite awhile. Today these verses came to mind. Does this actually mean we shouldn't make any financial plans for the future?

I could die today and never need the money, or I could live to be 100.

This question might sound stupid to some here, but I really need to know.

Thanks!

Sandy

mercie

Retirement planning
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 04:20:38 PM »

've been thinking about my plans for retirement for quite awhile. Today these verses came to mind. Does this actually mean we shouldn't make any financial plans for the future?

Sandy, This has nothing to do with what your asking its to do with our Spiritual Life.

Moving From one age into another.
This passage of scripture is pregnant with spiritual Truth.

ciy

Retirement planning
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 05:12:21 PM »

These verses as many or all pertain to both the flesh and spirit, do they not?  I understand it is seek first the kingdom of God (spiritual) and then all these things will be added (physical)

If we are always focused on the worrying about what is going to happen when I am 65 years old, I am going to make decisions differently than if I just say "Hey I am going to give this money to the poor and I will trust God to supply all of my needs."  I believe this is what we are going to do in the next age is depend on God for everything.  To be a chosen we should faithfully depend on God for everything now and be faithful in that faith until the end.

I do not see in the scriptures where anyone of the "heroes" of the bible did it part time.  From Abraham to Moses to David to all of the disciples to Paul they left whatever they were doing and went seeking after God with all of their heart.  They learned how to depend completely on God for spiritual and physical substance.  We all are the "rich young ruler" and if we cannot give up this life to gain life then we will have that purged out of us in the lake of fire.  In order to kill off the old man you must believe God for what you cannot see.  If we get set for life and then say ok now I can serve the Lord, God is going to say give all that stuff that has given you comfort in this life to the poor so that you can trust me.  He will supply you manna daily and you will continue to keep your eyes on Him until you become the image of Him.

What do you think?
ciy

prarrydog

Retirement planning
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 09:17:00 PM »

ciy,

I couldn't agree more.........brilliant post.

Andy_MI

Retirement planning
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 10:34:41 AM »

Quote from: bobbys43
Ciy that was very good. I too believe that when you give all to God, He takes away the financial worry. let's face it and I know we have all been there, well at least I have, and when I was young and starting our family money worries were a 24-7 ordeal. I was always wondering how am I going to get the money to fix the car, my son needs school cloths,oh the utility bills, etc...

Now saving money is a wise thing to do and I believe God does want us to be good stewards to what he has given us. I have come to find out when you help someone financialy or give to the poor or even help some one physically and personally God blesses tremendously.

I will try to keep this short. I had given a contribution to a local, member supported, radio station. I will not say how much but I was feeling guilty about giving this amout to the station and thought there are homeless and hungry people in my area who could have used that money. God was dealing with my heart and I thought oh if I could do this all over again I would have given the money for the homeless and hungry instead of giving it to the radio station.

I was downtown one day working and saw to homeless people sleeping on the front entrance of a vacant building. Well when you become a member of the radio station you get gifts or perks. One of these perks was a dinner for 10 people catered at your home. So after seeing these two homeless people sleeping at that building, I emailed the radio station manager and asked if they could maybe take that catered dinner for 10 dowtown and give it to 10 homeles people.

Just to show you how God works when you seek Him first, the radio station contacted me and worked it out that my donation would be given to the Food Bank and a Homeless shelter and the radio station then matched my donation dollar for dollar. Praise God that He worked it out and not only did He redirect my donation to those in need He also matched it so it was twice as much.

This was a good lesson for me and I realize that He comes first!!

Matthew 25:34-40

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

bobby

Bobby,

This is a beautiful testamony! The Lord really blessed my heart when I read it. Thank you for sharing  :D

Andy

SandyFla

Retirement planning
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 12:13:31 PM »

Bobby,
What a beautiful testimony. I will remember that the next time I win something from a radio station.
Sandy

P.S. I've come to the conclusion that it is OK to plan for your financial future. Yesterday I was thinking how we work for money now, rather than sit back, do nothing, and expect God to provide for us.

2 Thessalonians 3:10 - "For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat."

We DO need to plan for our future, but that doesn't mean neglecting to help those in need when the opportunity arises.

Thank you all for your responses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 17 queries.