bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do locusts symbolize?  (Read 17295 times)

bowlbyx

What do locusts symbolize?
« on: June 21, 2006, 11:19:30 PM »

Ex 10:14
4 And the locusts went up over all the land of Egypt, and rested in all the coasts of Egypt: very grievous were they; before them there were no such locusts as they, neither after them shall be such.
KJV
[/b]

Prov 30:27
27 The locusts have no king, yet go they forth all of them by bands;
KJV
[/b]

Nah 3:15 - Hab 1:1
15 There shall the fire devour thee; the sword shall cut thee off, it shall eat thee up like the cankerworm: make thyself many as the cankerworm, make thyself many as the locusts .
16 Thou hast multiplied thy merchants above the stars of heaven: the cankerworm spoileth, and flieth away.
17 Thy crowned are as the locusts , and thy captains as the great grasshoppers, which camp in the hedges in the cold day, but when the sun ariseth they flee away, and their place is not known where they are.
18 Thy shepherds slumber, O king of Assyria: thy nobles shall dwell in the dust: thy people is scattered upon the mountains, and no man gathereth them.
19 There is no healing of thy bruise; thy wound is grievous: all that hear the bruit of thee shall clap the hands over thee: for upon whom hath not thy wickedness passed continually?
KJV

Matt 3:4
4 And the same John had his raiment of camel's hair, and a leathern girdle about his loins; and his meat was locusts and wild honey.
KJV
[/b]

Mark 1:6
6 And John was clothed with camel's hair, and with a girdle of a skin about his loins; and he did eat locusts and wild honey;
KJV

Rev 9:3
3 And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.
KJV

Rev 9:7
7 And the shapes of the locusts were like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads were as it were crowns like gold, and their faces were as the faces of men.
KJV

OK after all that, i cant see what locust symbolize.  John ate them so does anyone have any insight

God bless everyone
david

Indagator

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 01:23:19 AM »

I'm going to attempt here...

First of all:

1Pe 5:8  Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

Mar 4:15  And these are they by the way side, where the word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately, and taketh away the word that was sown in their hearts.

Ex 10:14
4 And the locusts went up over all the land of Egypt, and rested in all the coasts of Egypt: very grievous were they; before them there were no such locusts as they, neither after them shall be such.
KJV

Spiritually, Egypt is Babylon, and Babylon is the "Church".

Prov 30:27
27 The locusts have no king, yet go they forth all of them by bands;
KJV

That's actually a scientific observtion.  Locusts have a "Hive mind".  Not only do they travel in packs, but they also "think as one", and "having one mind".  Does this sound at all familiar?

Nah 3:15 - Hab 1:1
15 There shall the fire devour thee; the sword shall cut thee off, it shall eat thee up like the cankerworm: make thyself many as the cankerworm, make thyself many as the locusts .
16 Thou hast multiplied thy merchants above the stars of heaven: the cankerworm spoileth, and flieth away.
17 Thy crowned are as the locusts , and thy captains as the great grasshoppers, which camp in the hedges in the cold day, but when the sun ariseth they flee away, and their place is not known where they are.

I'm not getting much here.  It would be better served to someone else who will see what I am not seeing.

18 Thy shepherds slumber, O king of Assyria: thy nobles shall dwell in the dust: thy people is scattered upon the mountains, and no man gathereth them.
19 There is no healing of thy bruise; thy wound is grievous: all that hear the bruit of thee shall clap the hands over thee: for upon whom hath not thy wickedness passed continually?
KJV

"your teachers cannot keep watch with me for even one hour, King of Babylon" (ooooh...the adversary, but not just the adversary...also the beast of revelation...me).  Your most exalted shall dwell in the flesh (carnality), and no MAN calls them into gathering.

"You have become obvious.  Your bruise is as a badge, and is obvious.  All that have born your fruit shall become a bondsman, or slave to you:  for upon whom has not your wickedness passed continually?"

That sounds oddly enough like the bondswoman...

Matt 3:4
4 And the same John had his raiment of camel's hair, and a leathern girdle about his loins; and his meat was locusts and wild honey.
KJV

I think I may be understanding "locusts" here a little better...but now I want to know about "honey".  Maybe you should look into "honey" as well since his MEAT(not milk) was made of BOTH locusts AND honey. (insert note to self here  :lol: )

3 And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.
KJV

I think a good idea here is to search "smoke". Fire makes smoke.  Smoke is an indicator of fire.  Spiritually, fire purifies.  Purification is needed in order to be in the presence of the Father.  The need for purification is an indicator of the Father's anger or wrath.  So smoke must be an indicator of God's wrath.  Out of God's wrath come forth "locusts".  I can't touch "scorpions" just yet...someone else may have more for that.

Rev 9:7
7 And the shapes of the locusts were like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads were as it were crowns like gold, and their faces were as the faces of men.
KJV

I'm afraid my carnal mind may be getting in the way here a bit, so don't take this so seriously.  I'm trying to work something out here though, and I am also hoping someone has something to offer that might clear the "fog" so to speak.  I had something to post here, but I really don't want to be wrong and mislead anyone, so I'll leave that up to those that are more blessed of the Spirit than myself right now.   I "think" I might be close to something, but I also fear arrogance and "human wisdom" so I'm hoping someone else can see more clearly than I.

love_magnified

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 01:24:53 AM »

Well, I have heard that there are both positive and negative connotations. For example, number three represents the spiritual completion of the cross. But there are also three 6s representing the complete carnal mind. I have heard also from Mike that locusts represent doctrines. Locusts eat crops, they destroy them. But John fed on locust and honey. Prophecy about Christ was that he would be sinless because God would feed him "butter and honey" representing the holy spirit. John was sustained by both doctrine and spirit (in type). This is an idea. Don't run with it without testing.

mercie

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 07:15:23 AM »

I agree with LM, words can be negative and postive, two fold .

John the Baptist paved the way for Christ , he being symbolic of the Old Covenant .

Mark 1:6
6 And John was clothed with camel's hair, and with a girdle of a skin about his loins; and he did eat locusts and wild honey;
KJV

Notice he ate Wild Honey and Locusts.

Connections here with Wild, Wild Olive Branch drafted Into the New Covenant.

Job 39:5 Who hath sent out the wild a@@ free? or who hath loosed the bands of the wild a@@?

Jer 14:6 And the wild asses did stand in the high places, they snuffed up the wind like dragons; their eyes did fail, because [there was] no grass.

Are Locust the same as Scorpions?  

What are scorpions, A Rebelious people.?

Eze 2:6 And thou, son of man, be not afraid of them, neither be afraid of their words, though briers and thorns [be] with thee, and thou dost dwell among scorpions: be not afraid of their words, nor be dismayed at their looks, though they [be] a rebellious house.

Notice Dont be afraid of their Words.

Words , Doctrines can Harm, words of Law and those Pharisees?

In Luke.

Luk 10:19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.

Power Given over the words and doctrines .?

The Darts of the Wicked one?
Eph 6:16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

Notice John came out the widerness? .

Deu 8:15 Who led thee through that great and terrible wilderness, [wherein were] fiery serpents, and scorpions, and drought, where [there was] no water; who brought thee forth water out of the rock of flint;

Then was Beheaded for Christ, symbolically all lose their head for Christ

Rev 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and [I saw] the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received [his] mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

What are the scorpions and locust Given POWER to Do?
Chastise?

1Ki 12:14 And spake to them after the counsel of the young men, saying, My father made your yoke heavy, and I will add to your yoke: my father [also] chastised you with whips, but I will chastise you with scorpions.

Lev 26:27 And if ye will not for all this hearken unto me, but walk contrary unto me;  

Lev 26:28 Then I will walk contrary unto you also in fury; and I, even I, will chastise you seven times for your sins

An interesting study. :D

mannonthecross

Re: What do locusts symbolize?
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 04:57:41 PM »

Hi David,

These treasure hunts are really enjoyable!

Considering the OT Scriptures you quoted the locusts are symbolic of destruction, in particular, mass destruction as a judgment from God. All of these locusts have the same meaning from #697-grasshopper, locust (Strong's).

Moving to the NT Scriptures that you quoted locust comes from #G200 which also means locust but adds in parentheses (as pointed, or as a lighting on the top of vegetation). Strong's indicates that it is apparently from the same as G206 which is a "Neuter of an adjective probably akin to the base of G188; the extremity: - one end . . . other, tip, top, uttermost part." (Some have suggested that perhaps John did not actually eat locusts, but perhaps plants & maybe this is where that indication stems from). Even so, locusts were & are consumed as food.

Having said all that, how does God's judgment via locust fit into Matt 3:4 & Mark 1:6, with John eating locusts?

Spiritually speaking about locusts, let's consider Proverbs 27:7-"The full soul loatheth an honeycomb: but to the hungry soul every bitter thing is sweet."

Locusts=God's judgment. Judgment is not always a bad thing especially to those whose flesh is being crucified here & now (the called & chosen in this age). It is written, 1Pe 4:17  For the time is come for judgment to begin at the house of God:

So, just as John ate locust, which one would assume would not be anything but bitter (figuratively, if not literally), he also ate the sweet honey. We too eat the bitter tasting (to our flesh) judgment (being tried & purified by fire now-those chosen from the called) & eat the honey (the promise of ruling & reigning with Christ in the age to come-being part of the first resurrection)!

This is our understanding of it, David. But just as 1Co 13:12 exhorts " For now we see in a mirror, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I have been known." , we keep digging for the treasure!

Questing for the Truth

jerreye

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 05:33:10 PM »

Here is somthing interesting about the locusts tails (coutesy of the teachings of Mike V)...

Rev 9:10
And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings [words] in their tails: and their power was to hurt men five months [with their WORDS].

Isaiah 9:15
The ancient and honourable, he is the head; and the prophet that teacheth lies [preachers, teachers of the church], HE is the tail.

I think this would prove who these locusts really are!

Blessings,
Jeremy

Daniel

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 06:13:27 PM »

Here is somthing interesting about the locusts tails (coutesy of the teachings of Mike V)...

Rev 9:10
And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings [words] in their tails: and their power was to hurt men five months [with their WORDS].

Isaiah 9:15
The ancient and honourable, he is the head; and the prophet that teacheth lies [preachers, teachers of the church], HE is the tail.

I think this would prove who these locusts really are!

Blessings,
Jeremy

Kool Jeremy

I'll run off what you shared, this is fun (courteousy, of me just looking them up LOL)

1Cr 15:56  The STING of death is sin; and the strength of sin is THE LAW.

The law worketh wrath

Prov 16:14 The wrath of a king is as messengers of death: but a wise man will pacify it.

Exodus 10:17 Phoaroah refers to the Locusts devourng the land to "death" and says... (see Sin and death?)

Now therefore forgive, I pray thee, my sin only this once, and intreat the LORD your God, that he may take away from me this death only.

Locusts have no King (prov 30:27) But they are shown having one in Revelation (Rev 9:11) the names used in Greek and Hebrew is that which Pharoah desired to depart, which is the "destroyer" and "destruction" He called "death". Its Pride goeth before destruction (Prov 16:18  The broad way Job 31:24  He beholdeth all high things: he is a king over all the children of pride.

The Locusts COME OUT FROM "the SMOKE"... think of TWICE the "Son OF" rooted in self righteousness, pride and the law (sting of death etc)

Isaiah 65:5 Which say, Stand by thyself, come not near to me; for I am holier than thou. These are a smoke in my nose, a fire that burneth all the day.

Their words arent to be feared (Ezek 2:6) and have a sting based in lies (As Mike shows in that verse) Prov 26:28  A lying tongue hateth those that are afflicted by it; and a flattering mouth worketh ruin.

That fits perfectly with those who loveth not (or hateth) their brethren, even goes with whats called a "liar" as its rooted in a lying tongue (their words)

They are "given power" no power be thats not given them from above. These are they Paul speaks of who are given power unto destruction, whereas Paul boasted a bit more that His power was unto edification.

Luke 10:19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.

They cant HURT YOU

So death WHERE is THY STING?

I wouldnt pick others off by naming groups without discerning fruit. Death and life and in the power of the tongue and those who love it will eat the fruit thereof. I see it after one who hateth or loveth as between death and life as defined in scripture.

Ever notice their time of torment is five months? Then did you ever notice that Elizabeth (who bore John who actually ate locusts) was HID for the exact amount of time? Her words were, He taketh away my reproach from among MEN. I thought that was kool.

He does hide one from the scourge of "the tongue" (which has "the power of death") in the secret of His presence

Peace

Daniel
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 06:18:18 AM by Daniel »

orion77

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 11:56:56 PM »

Very interesting thread, can't add anything, just to drop a line and let you all know, I am learning here.   8)

Let me try that moving marquee thingamajig!  ;D

Truth is great ain't it?
God bless,

Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.