bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resurrection/Assention  (Read 5225 times)

HoneyLamb56

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Resurrection/Assention
« on: April 11, 2010, 04:35:02 AM »

can someone please clarify the accounts of the resurrection in Luke 24:38,39 and John 20:17;  why did Jesus say to Mary (John 20:17) not to touch him as he had not yet ascended to the Father?  Yet in 2 accounts, one being Luke, we are told that the disciples doubted and Jesus told them to handle him yet he had not ascended.   ???

Deborah-Leigh

Re: Resurrection/Assention
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 07:29:56 AM »

Hi HoneyLamb56

It is a poor translation that should express don't cling to me and not, don't touch me. Ref L Ray Smith....but where...I don't know :D Maybe someone will access the reference for you later.  :)

G680
ἅπτομαι
haptomai
hap'-tom-ahee
Reflexive of G681; properly to attach oneself to, that is, to touch (in many implied relations): - touch.

G681
ἅπτω
haptō
hap'-to
A primary verb; properly to fasten to, that is, (specifically) to set on fire: - kindle, light.

So Jesus told Mary not to CLING to Him. :)

Arc
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 07:32:37 AM by Arcturus »

mharrell08

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 10:37:17 AM »

can someone please clarify the accounts of the resurrection in Luke 24:38,39 and John 20:17;  why did Jesus say to Mary (John 20:17) not to touch him as he had not yet ascended to the Father?  Yet in 2 accounts, one being Luke, we are told that the disciples doubted and Jesus told them to handle him yet he had not ascended.   ???

Email reply from Ray (http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3909.msg29873.html#msg29873):

Dear Serena:
    It was NOT the gardener. At first they "thought" it was the gardener, but it really was Jesus, and Mary knew that it was Jesus when she said: "Rabboni: which is to say, Master. Jesus said unto her, touch Me not...." (Luke 20:16 & 17). My King James Margin says for "touch"--"Do not CLING to Me."  They WERE touching Him--they were HANGING ON TO HIM AND WOULDN'T LET HIM GO.  Matt. 28:9 explains it further: "And as they went to tell His disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail.  And they came and HELD HIM BY THE FEET, and worshipped Him."

God be with you,
    Ray

Email reply from Ray (http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,5343.msg42454.html#msg42454):

Dear DAnte: It isn't that Jesus didn't want them to "touch" Him, for they DID "touch" him:  "And as they went to tell His disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail.  And they came and HELD HIM BY THE FEET, and worshiped Him."  (Matt. 28:9)

This is the very same even that took place in John 20:17, where Jesus said: "Touch me not..."  The word touch means to "Cling."  Jesus didn't want them to KEEP HOLDING HIM, as they did not want to let him go. Not that they couldn't give him a little touch on the arm or something.

God be with you,

Ray

Email reply from Ray (http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,840.msg6639.html#msg6639):

Dear William:
A friend asked me about this just a couple of weeks ago.  The Father resides in "the heavens."  The heavens are a realm, not a geographical location.

Jesus did not say "touch me not," as we have proof to the contrary in this very same incident recorded in Matt. 28:9-10:

"And as they went to tell His disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail.  And the came and HELD HIM BY THE FEET [clearly they WERE 'touching' Him], and worshipped Him."

The first definition of the Greek word 'haptomia' is "to ATTACH oneself." As we clearly see in their "Holding Him by the feet."  Rotherham translates this: "...be not DETAINING me..."  James Moffatt translates it: "Cease CLINING to Me."  The American Standard Version has: "Stop HOLDING ON to Me..."

Apparently, Jesus was resurrected just moments before the women arrived at the tomb.  When they finally recognized Him as Lord, they GRABBED HIM and wouldn't let Him go--worshipping (as He was clearly resurrected from the dead, hence, truly, the Son of God).

The thing that Jesus told His disciples a couple of days earlier was that He must RETURN to His Father. And the reason was two-fold:  [1]  To receive BACK the glory which He had with His Father from the beginning, and [2] He told them that unless He "went away (to the father) the Comforter would not come to them.

Jesus appeared three time to His disciples within the first 12 hours: [1] To the women at the tomb, {2] To the two men traveling on the road to Emaus, and [3] Sunday evening when the disciples (save Thomas) where gathered together behind closed doors. At that very time, Jesus gave his Apostles (not His all of His disciples, but His APOSTLES) the Holy Spirit:

"Then the same day at evening being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut...He said unto them Peace be unto you: as My Father has sent Me, even so send I you.  And when He had said this, He breathed OLN THEM, AND SAID UNTO THEM, receive ye the holy spirit..but Thomas was not with them" (John 20:19-24).

Talk to you later, Lary,
Ray

Hope this helps,

Marques

Kat

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 11:07:02 AM »

Hi HoneyLamb,

I think it is as Arc has pointed out. It does not seem that Jesus meant "Touch me not" (John 20:17), because we can see that is not the case from the other Scripture you provided "Behold My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself: handle me," (Luke 24:39).  What He seems to be saying to Mary was that she did not need to cling or continually hold on to Him, because - "for I have not yet ascended to My Father" or He was not going to leave just "yet." But He quickly verifies "I am ascending to My Father," so He is explaining to her what's going on. Yes He was resurrected and there to see her and yes He was certainly going back to the Father, but He was not "yet." So she did not need to latch on to Him and not let go, as if He might disappear at any moment, because He had things to do and was not leaving just yet.

Just thought I would give you my perspective as to how this makes sense to me  :)

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 02:41:01 PM »

He had things to do and was not leaving just yet.

That was well put Kat.  :) As the Scriptures verify also, He certainly was not about to leave before appearing to His Elect. :)

Arc

HoneyLamb56

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 01:06:52 PM »

thank you all; much clearer to me now :-*
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.