bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Christian--three times?  (Read 5131 times)

Joel

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Christian--three times?
« on: April 12, 2010, 11:38:16 PM »

I was thinking about the word CHRISTIAN, and looked in my Strong's concordance, and was surprised to see that the word Christian is only used in the scriptures three times.
So I am wondering why? I know the believers were first called Christians at Antioch.
Peter mentions the word in 1 Peter, and its mentioned one other time in Acts.

I realise that this was the early beginnings of the CHURCH, and that could carry some weight, but Paul preached for many years, and John lived a long life and taught and preached also.

Seems to me that CHURCH was the more accepted view of what the believers are, seeing Jesus refer ed to the seven CHURCHES. The world today especially Babylon wants to know "are you a Christian?"
I would like to know what anyone Else's thoughts are concerning this seemingly scarce use of the word, means in the Bible.

If anyone knows where Ray talks about this, thanks for any directions.

Joel

mharrell08

Re: Christian--three times?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 05:55:48 PM »

If anyone knows where Ray talks about this, thanks for any directions.

Email reply from Ray (http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6620.msg53112.html#msg53112):

Dear Reader:  Not so. A "Christian" is meant to designate one who follows the teachings of Jesus Christ. This was not possible until Christ revealed Himself under the New Covenant. Therefore, all Christians are "New Covenant Christians."  There is no such thing as an "Old Covenant Christian."  If one could be a "Christian" under the Old there would have been no need for a New.  When Jesus said: "You have heard it said by them of OLD.....but I say unto you..." He then introduced something NEW--it was a New COVENANT. Jesus said that the symbols of the bread and wine symbolizing His body and blood are the tokens of the NEW Covenant, which brought a close to the Old.
        God be with you,
        Ray

Email reply from Ray (http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,4320.msg33056.html#msg33056):

Dear Caroline: "Christian" is used but two times in Scriptures: I Peter 4:16 and Acts 26:28. It comes from the Greek word "Christianos" and it means "a follower of Christ."  It probably was meant to be an epithet by those who used it, but it doesn't necessarily need to be considered such by those who follow Christ. I do not use the title because I don't want to be confused with the system called "Christendom," which teaches virtually everything contrary to the Scriptures.
    God be with you,
    Ray

Hope this helps,

Marques

Joel

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 08:47:06 PM »

Thanks Marques,
I thought I had read where Ray addressed this in his writings.
It was one of those things where its like a light pops on in the old gray matter :)
I can see that it is as Ray says, used more as an characterising name, upon more studying I also saw where the subject was referred to in another posting.
So please forgive my lack of attention to detail as Ray so often suggest that we should pay close attention to ALL the words.

I guess what struck me most was that Paul, the apostle to the gentiles, never used the word Christian even once in all his writings to the different Churches. And that it was used more from the view point of someone looking in, rather than someone on the inside looking out.
 I can totally agree with Ray's stand on this subject.
Thanks for your help.
Joel

Extol

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 11:16:16 PM »

I do not use the title because I don't want to be confused with the system called "Christendom," which teaches virtually everything contrary to the Scriptures.
God be with you,
Ray

I've felt rather confused myself when people ask what I am. I will say "I'm a Christian.." but then immediately realize what that might mean to them, so I feel the need to say "BUT...." and explain further.  :o

aqrinc

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 04:04:19 AM »

We should read the words of Scripture and then get the right answers, since none of us are our own masters.

2Co 5:13-16 (CLV)
14 For the love of Christ is constraining us, judging this, that, if One died for the sake of all, consequently all died."

15 And He died for the sake of all that those who are living should by no means still be living to themselves, but to the One dying and being roused for their sakes."

16 So that we, from now on, are acquainted with no one according to flesh. Yet even if we have known Christ according to flesh, nevertheless now we know Him so no longer."

george :).

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.