bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Look  (Read 4195 times)

Oatmeal

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Just Look
« on: April 15, 2010, 07:46:20 PM »

I have used the search facility but can’t find anything to answer my query.

Numbers 21:6-9
And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died. Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD, and against thee; pray unto the LORD, that he take away the serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people. And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live. And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.

John 3:14-15
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:  That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

According to a certain friend of mine: Just look = “just (truly) believe” = instant eternal life.

What are your comments, keeping in mind that to look at something does appear to be something that is very easy to do and the result of  looking (“just looking”) was life instead of death?

It does come to mind that those who looked at the serpent on the pole knew with certainty they would otherwise die.  The malefactor on the cross – he knew his true situation.  Perhaps most who receive Jesus don’t yet have a clear idea of who they are and of their true situation.  Perhaps after the tribulation of the narrow way we can truly “look at” Jesus and become born again - one of the elect.

Thanks

Oatmeal
From Micah 7:9:  By the grace and call of Yahweh I will bear the trials of the narrow way, because I have no love, until He fully shows me my sin and I am judged by Him.  He will bring me forth to the light, and I shall see His righteousness.

lauriellen

Re: Just Look
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 07:56:12 PM »

someone else could probably lead you to more on this, but your question brings to mind Rays teaching called "how easy is it to be saved"....he goes through all of the  "..........and you shall be saved" verses and explains this very well.
peace,
lauriellen

mharrell08

Re: Just Look
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 09:34:32 PM »

According to a certain friend of mine: Just look = “just (truly) believe” = instant eternal life.

What are your comments, keeping in mind that to look at something does appear to be something that is very easy to do and the result of  looking (“just looking”) was life instead of death?

It does come to mind that those who looked at the serpent on the pole knew with certainty they would otherwise die.  The malefactor on the cross – he knew his true situation.  Perhaps most who receive Jesus don’t yet have a clear idea of who they are and of their true situation.  Perhaps after the tribulation of the narrow way we can truly “look at” Jesus and become born again - one of the elect.

Thanks

Oatmeal

Excerpt from Email reply from Ray (http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,7322.msg58264.html#msg58264):

Num 21:8 And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.

Num 21:9 And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.
    They were to "look" upon the serpent, NOT WORSHIP IT.  It was a reminder of their sin, and then God healed them.

Hello Oatmeal,

I don't understand how your friend correlates sight into eternal (eonian) life...especially since we are to live by faith and not by sight [2 Cor 5:7]. Maybe you can elaborate more...at least for my understanding.

Thanks,

Marques
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.