bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mary and John  (Read 5393 times)

knuckle

Mary and John
« on: June 27, 2006, 11:40:44 PM »

hi all-----------

Joh 19:26  When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!
Joh 19:27  Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.

Is there more to this than Christ taking care of Mary?Mary had other children but her care was entrusted to "the desciple that Jesus loved" --- I get the feeling that I am missing something here.

much love-----------knuckle

mannonthecross

Re: Mary and John
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 12:23:47 AM »

Hey Knuckle,

I believe the answer is right there in the Scripture in that, John was the disciple that Jesus loved & I believe that, at this time, Jesus' brothers still did not believe that Jesus was the Son of God. So, being that this was His mother, who better to take care of her than the one disciple that He loved.

Remember, Jesus said, "Who is my mother, who are my brothers?" This is when He was addressing His apostles & disciples. His mother & brothers were outside wanting to speak with Him. These believers were His family-spiritual family, not His physical family, which has much more significance.

This is my basic understanding of this Scripture. I'm sure there are others here that can offer a more in depth understanding-I'll be reading the posts with you.

Also questing for Truth & understanding.
Tom

Daniel

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 01:37:44 AM »

Wow... you guys are up and running again.

Amen Tom , Good stuff, I can see it that way too, right on

I see alot of twos (everywhere I look). One of which is a Child and a Son. Being that the scriptures testify of Him, The Cross of Christ is central to all pictures, helps see them clearer.

Unto us a Child is BORN and unto us a Son is GIVEN

A CHILD is born (Davids child died on "the Seventh day" the day the work was "finished" in Genesis but Echoed through Christs words, "It is finished") I see these all pertaining to the Cross of Christ and Salvation. So a Child is born (even the Woman needs to be DELIVERED OF "The Child" in type) But a SON is GIVEN. I see this in type at the Cross as well concerning the overall picture of what God was doing in Christ. The cross is also symbolic of putting off the OLD MAN (who is crucfied there).

You know the scripture, the one that says,

There shall no longer be an infant of days, or an OLD MAN who has not filled his days. The CHILD shall DIE an hundred years old but the sinner an hundred years old accursed. Jesus became that for us. Abraham (Old Man) was exactly a hundred years old when Isaac (in type) was born to Him. On the Cross the exchange was at the exact time one was dying the other was granted.

A child is in bondage (delivered of the Child) but the Son is free, and our OLD MAN is crucified with Christ.

Same with God granting Eve SETH in the place of ABEL since Cain killed Him.

On the Cross Christ says, "Woman" BEHOLD thy SON, Paul shows this as an allegory concerning, "no more children but Sons". Child dies (no more children) but Sons.

I could have worded that a bit better. I'm going off memory here. Your right knuckle when ever you get a" hunch" that theres more in there then what meets the eye, your often more right then you know. The Spirit has drawn your attention to it.

Happy diggins there pal, you'll find these treasures throughout

Peace bro

Daniel

orion77

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 12:37:33 AM »

Good question, knuckle.

(Joh 19:26)  Then seeing His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing by, Jesus said to His mother, Woman, behold your son!

(Joh 19:27)  Then He said to the disciple, Behold, your mother! And from that hour, the disciple took her into his own home.

(Joh 19:28)  After this, knowing that all things have now been finished that the Scripture be completed, Jesus said, I thirst.

To me, it speaks volumes of the kind of Lord we follow.  Here He is, while in the flesh as we are now, nailed to a cross and suffering things we can only imagine, yet He is even now, taking care of those outside of Himself.  This shows great compassion, strength and love that is way off the charts.  Not a thought to Himself, only to do the will of the Father, and through His words and actions has shown to us, just exactly who and what God the Fathers heart is really like.

Seeing these things, we can only follow Him in true respect, reverence, not the kind that comes from fear of torment, but the kind that comes from knowing that God really and truly is Love.  And perfect love casts out all fear, this is why we cry Abba, Father.  No longer do we need to cry out to Him in fear, but out of love.  This is what He seeks, deserves and shall have.  His will be done...

God bless,

Gary

orion77

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 01:00:53 AM »

Seems to also bring this scripture to mind:

(2Co 5:16)  So as we now know no one according to flesh, but even if we have known Christ according to flesh, yet now we no longer know Him so.

(2Co 5:17)  So that if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new!

(2Co 5:18)  And all things are from God, the One having reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and having given to us the ministry of reconciliation,

(2Co 5:19)  as, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not charging their deviations to them, and having put the Word of reconciliation in us.

(2Co 5:20)  Then on behalf of Christ, we are ambassadors, as God is exhorting through us, we beseech on behalf of Christ, Be reconciled to God.

(2Co 5:21)  For He made the One who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

Seeing how Jesus could do and say these things while being crucified, becomes easier to see that while He was in the flesh, He did not have any carnality in Him.  We can see more of the mind of Christ, and why we should not see Him after the flesh, because a carnal mind could never conceive these thoughts or words He spoke while dying.

That is how I see it, hope it helps in your understanding.

God bless,

Gary

danagonzalez

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 05:20:49 AM »

Hi Knuckle,  Here's something wonderful I get from those scriptures--Jesus is showing us how to see ourselves and other members of His church (family). We may have families according to the flesh, but Jesus wants us to know that He has given us spiritual mothers, fathers, sisters,and brothers. I am so happy to know this, because I believe that I am meeting some of my spiritual family here on this forum!!!God Bless This Forum, from Dana

YellowStone

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 12:55:27 AM »

Good question, knuckle.

(Joh 19:26)  Then seeing His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing by, Jesus said to His mother, Woman, behold your son!

(Joh 19:27)  Then He said to the disciple, Behold, your mother! And from that hour, the disciple took her into his own home.

(Joh 19:28)  After this, knowing that all things have now been finished that the Scripture be completed, Jesus said, I thirst.

To me, it speaks volumes of the kind of Lord we follow.  Here He is, while in the flesh as we are now, nailed to a cross and suffering things we can only imagine, yet He is even now, taking care of those outside of Himself.  This shows great compassion, strength and love that is way off the charts.  Not a thought to Himself, only to do the will of the Father, and through His words and actions has shown to us, just exactly who and what God the Fathers heart is really like.

Seeing these things, we can only follow Him in true respect, reverence, not the kind that comes from fear of torment, but the kind that comes from knowing that God really and truly is Love.  And perfect love casts out all fear, this is why we cry Abba, Father.  No longer do we need to cry out to Him in fear, but out of love.  This is what He seeks, deserves and shall have.  His will be done...

God bless,

Gary

Great post Gary. John 7:5 states that even Jesus's brothers did not believe him. Love as you state is the greatest teacher as well as the greatest ambassador for truth. Who can no why the brothers of Jesus could or would not believe him, jealously perhaps, anger for leaving the family business, who knows. But what better example of love could Jesus give to his brothers than to have John entrusted with the care of their mother.

Quote from: orion77

These words need framing :)

YellowStone
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.