bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions for the dog lovers/owners  (Read 4948 times)

Linny

Questions for the dog lovers/owners
« on: April 26, 2010, 11:32:10 PM »

We just officially adopted a new puppy tonight. He actually adopted us over a month ago. The neighbor bought him for his daughter who is rarely there. He was digging out of their back yard to come to my girls. He asked us for patience to figure out what to do. Now the pup has been living here at our home for over a month and when the neighbor went out of town, we thought he'd stopped feeding him so we took over. Anyway, hubby went to talk to him tonight and he was thrilled we wanted to keep him.
Questions: He is a Beagle/Chihuahua mix. Extremely smart and easily trained so far. But he is a digger. How is the best way to break this? Sand box? Also need him to NOT dig out of our yard as he did his. We've not kept him in up to now except at night (in our garage) but those days are over. Don't want him freely running out in the street, etc.
And his name. We don't like it but can live with it if we must. He is just a pup. Not sure how old. Can we change his name? Is there a good way to do that?
Any ideas on any of this would be such a blessing!
Thanks!
Lin

Ninny

Re: Questions for the dog lovers/owners
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 11:52:33 PM »

Lin,
I can tell you from experience that the Beagle in him is a digger!! We've had Beagles and they are too clever! we once had one who kept getting out of the yard and we couldn't find where she was getting out! well, we had put a ladder across the fence so my neice's children could get in and out without letting the dogs out! well me oh my! we were watching from the bedroom window one morning and there she was climbing the ladder just as the children had done!! we laughed and laughed about that!! dumb/smart dog!! and it's my experience too that you can change his name just start calling him and getting his attention and give him a treat when he answers to his name and soon he'll have his new name...One of our Beagles' name was Pookie....I drew a picture of her standing in front of the 'fridge and wrote on the 'fridge..."Pookie's food dish" because she loved what ever came out of that box!! Beagles are a crazy little dog...one other time Pookie was in the house and we had my little neice who was 6 months old in her walker on the floor..she had been eating ice cream..we looked and she was so clean..her mother asked if I had washed her off..I said NO, I think Pookie cleaned her up! hehehe!! So funny those dogs!! I have had a chihuahua, too he was a faithfull little guy! when he first came to live with us..my same little neice who was licked clean by the beagle..saw him and he looked just like the Taco Bell dog and from that day forward his name was Yo Quero!! haha!! Well now the digging...I don't know but maybe keep him busy I never knew a cure for the digging...it is a dangerous thing so I hope you can find a solution to that!
Kathy  ;)

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 12:34:47 AM »

You should be able to change his name.  He doesn't know what the word means or even that he HAS a 'name'.  Just remember to ONLY use his name in positive associations like feeding and affection, and never as part of any discipline or correction.  He'll learn to associate it with good things and be more likely to come when called.

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Roy Martin

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 12:19:10 PM »

Hi Linny, I have raised and trained many dogs. I have one suggestions. Buy a shock collar. The kind that automatically shocks when they get close to the fence. It starts as a light jolt, but will increase as they get closer. They aren't that expensive. You can purchase one at a Tractor supply, Walmart might have them, or any pet store.
 For the safety of the dog it is well worth buying. It definitely is a sure way to keep them from going near the fence.

Roy

Ninny

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 04:02:10 PM »

Roy is that the invisifence? My son has a black Lab pup..he's a year old but those dogs stay pups for a long time!! This dog is so smart he would get just close enough to the fence to make his collar beep..they beep a few times to warn the dog before it shocks...he did that over and over till he ran the battery down in the collar..then he dug up the fence wire and destroyed it!! Hehehehe! That is a true story!! That dog is so smart..and dumb..he tries to chew up the chain link fence and he learned to get the gate open to his kennel!! He's beginning to calm down a little, but what a pain!!! I raised and trained many collies and to me they are just the best...really smart, not too dumb... :D and they don't DIG!!! But hey, any dog can be neurotic if left alone, right? Usually the answer to bad behavior is attention and working out the excess energy! We're both fans of the Dog Whisperer, right?  ;D Lin, if you don't find the answer....ask Cesar Millan!!!

http://www.cesarsway.com/

Linny

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 01:53:11 AM »

Thanks so much all of you guys!
Many things to think about. My daughter's hero is Victoria from the cable show  IT'S ME OR THE DOG.
She has learned so much from her.
The girls wake up every morning excited about having a puppy. Very sweet.
Kathy, very funny stories!
Lin

arion

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 09:29:52 AM »

My favorite trainer is Cesar Millan aka 'the dog whisperer' and have followed his methods for several years now and they work great.  His thing is exercise, discipline and affection in that order.  He would probably say that the pup needs more exercise and activity and then proper correction to get the dog to stop digging.  He has articles online that you can read for various problems.  Also do a google on the terms 'leerburg dog' and go to the first link that pops up.  Leerburg has trained and bred police service dogs for over 30 years and there is nothing the man doesn't know about dogs.  He has an extensive selection of dog training articles and how to deal with various problems and also has a free forum that has thousands of threads on it about various canine issues.  There should be a lot of help for specific problems.

Linny

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 07:37:55 PM »

Thanks! I'll check him out!

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 07:24:47 PM »

Now that's a smart puppy! Choosing you for family...just love him. You may have to fit in with him rather than the other way around.

We have a boarder collie who also likes digging. Fortunately she digs in the same place so we chicken wired the ground over the grass patch she likes to dig in and so far so good...the grass is growing back again and I think she has got the message.  :D

Arc

barrabus

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 02:37:05 AM »

The dog whisperer is great...
 (and I don't think anyone... even him... could train my dog to quit digging)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.