bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil Spill in Gulf of Mexico  (Read 14208 times)

cjwood

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Oil Spill in Gulf of Mexico
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 04:03:42 AM »

i have followed this whole ordeal closely from the day of the horrific explosion, along with my husband. my husband, george, is a mud engineer with a big drilling fluids company. he has worked on oil rigs both domestically (on land) and internationally (offshore). he has never worked in the gulf of mexico, except for many years ago when he worked on supply boats that went out to rigs. a couple of years ago he almost went to work for the same company that the two mud engineers who were killed on the rig that sunk worked for. on that horrible day that the oil and gas started spilling out into the gulf, nine floor hands and two mud engineers lost their lives. i am reminded of the immense risk people take daily as they work on any oil rig. i am reminded of how i must continue to look to my Father as my True provider, because there is no guarantee when george is at work on a rig, that there will be no horrible explosion or accident involving him. actually, on one rig he was working on, the gas had built up in the pipe but the b.o.p. kept the gas from igniting, however the build up did blow large pipe out of the hole and onto the drilling floor. by God's mercy, george was in his mud lab at the time and not on the floor. this whole event of the initial explosion and fire, loss of lives, sinking of the rig, and the continuous spilling of oil, gas, and other chemicals into the gulf of mexico is a nightmare. but God the Father will use it all for His plan and purposes. i ask Him for mercy on everyone involved, and on all His ocean and marshland creatures.

claudia

Roy Coates

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 05:46:45 PM »

Be merciful father, Have Your will and Your way in our lives today and everyday. Give us strength to endure. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen

judith collier

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2010, 07:09:34 AM »

I also pray for BP! Judy

chav

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2010, 02:06:09 PM »

Hi
this story is also taking up a lot of column inches over hear too.Seems like it has had  quite significant political ramifications between our two nations, as well as the ecological and economic problems it has created.
It must be a nightmare for all concerned ,particularly those whose livelyhoods and way of life depends on wellbeing of that part of the coast
Dave

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2010, 05:02:14 PM »

I've heard that 39% to 45% of BP is owned by American stockholders. About the same for UK stockholders.

No need to single out either country.

darren

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2010, 06:31:53 AM »

This disaster has, is and will effect me and many of my fellow citizens who live and work here in these parishes that are directly and indirectly effected by the disaster. This will also effect any states or countries who import La seafood. As some of you know I am a cook in a seafood rest here in slidell La.. We have notice prices climbing a little higher each week. No one knows what the long term effect will be. I bet it will not be good. After the oil has stop and the clean up is Finnish no one knows what the log term effect will be due to the dispersents.  Our seafood industries took a bad hit after Kantrina, and the yrs that followed. This was to be the best yr since Katrina for shrimp, oysters and crabs. On top all this, Now The President wants to close down deep drill oil rigs for 6mos for inspection. Not only would this effect the workers on the rigs, but everyone and anyone who depends on these rigs for their biz. Talk about a trickle down effect. Rest. owners, wait staff, bar staff, plants that make parts and equipment, companies that service the rigs, etc,etc,etc. If one agrees or disagrees the bottom line is many of thousands of people will be effect by this. The President said don't worry, we will make BP pay for their unemployment doing this time. If anyone has ever tried to take care of a family on unemployment,, well. Then there is the whole aspect of the Federal Gov. shutting down these rigs for 6mo and trying to make BP libel. I will not get in to that nightmare. does anyone really think once the door is open, that it will only be 6mos?? and no I have not forgot and I pray for the people who lost their lives and their families everynight.

Darren

CEO

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2010, 07:11:35 PM »

Hi

Did the media around the gulf remind their audience of the 1979 oil spill in the gulf caused by PEMEX, the nationalized oil company owned by the Mexican gov't?

It was 130 million gallons.  This disaster is 30 million gallons.  The 130 million were a big mess all the way into the next tourist season.  A hurricane came through and the stuff disappeared.

I see a lot of fear, not a lot of facts.

askseeknock

Charles

darren

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2010, 08:53:02 PM »

Yes, lets wait until Katrina2 comes and disperses the oil. Good one.

Darren

mharrell08

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2010, 09:28:59 PM »

The point Kat made when starting this thread was prayer for all those afflicted by the Oil Spill in the gulf. Let's send our prayers, give help/relief in any way we can, and hope in the Lord for the best.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 06:12:27 PM by mharrell08 »

mharrell08

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 06:12:08 PM »

FYI: http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/15/gulf.oil.disaster/index.html?hpt=T2

"No oil is currently flowing into the Gulf of Mexico as the "integrity test" is underway and the well is "shut in," BP said Thursday."

aqrinc

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2010, 10:23:28 PM »

This is interesting i think, or am i just repeating old news?

U.S. Navy Evacuates Gulf of Mexico! 46 US Warships Plus 7,000 US Marines On Route To Costa Rica?

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=hts&oq=&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GZEF_enUS351US351&q=U.S.+Navy+Evacuates+Gulf+of+Mexico%21+46+US+Warships+Plus+7%2c000+US+Marines+On+Route+To+Costa+Rica%3f

george ???.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2010, 01:17:04 AM »

It may not be news at all, George.  In following the link, all I saw were reposts of an article in a fair number of dubious 'news' sources.  I didn't see any info from any news organization such as AP.  I didn't see a 'source' given for the article in any of the sites where it was reposted.  I saw several different headlines used which mostly drew conclusions from this (possibly?) manuever/deployment.  I didn't see anything on the USN official website about a deployment, though it's possible they don't archive news for days.  I don't watch news 24/7, but I haven't heard anything either about the manuever/deployment or any whisper of what many of these websites in the search are inferring about it--that it has something to do with the GULF and not to do with the MISSION, assuming the mission actually mentioned in the article exists.  

What am I to think?  Either the whole story is a hoax, or it's been appropriated by people who either have fears (or wish to propogate fears) concerning the Gulf.  Isn't there enough true bad news without that?  Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof.  

« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 02:39:31 AM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

arion

• Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2010, 09:43:34 AM »

At least a couple of the ships referenced in that story and stories like it that are supposed to be involved were actually in their home port and not even deployed.  At this point I only believe about 10% of what I read on the internet without multiple confirmations from unrelated sources.....anyone can have a blog and 'report' a story.  There are a bunch of 'woo-woo' people out there quoting unnamed 'sources' that a North Korea submarine torpedoed the drilling rig and others that BP sabotaged the rig themselves.  Although the logic escapes me as the only ones who could sabotage it are the workers on the rig that ended up losing their lives and then trying to reconcile why BP would engender a disaster that could well likely bankrupt them.  I never consider the conspiracy angle until all other explanations have been reasonably exhausted.  
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 09:45:29 AM by Arion »

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2010, 03:26:52 PM »

Looks like God is cleaning up the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.  The New York Times is reporting that the US Government is having a hard time finding the oil spill; 3/4ths seem to have gone and the remaining 1/4th is going quickly.  God is so intelligent and powerful.  Man cannot screw up His creation.  Puny man can only go so far as He allows.

The reason is BP pumped millions of gallons of dispersant (soap) into the stream, and now millions of gallons of oil are now dissolved in the Gulf.

The PPM (parts per million) of oil near the LA coast is much higher than normal.

But in time even that will be digested.

cjwood

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2010, 04:52:41 PM »

i just wanted to slip in here for a minute to ask for prayer on behalf of my husband, george.  my request is pertinent to the topic of this thread, and to this section of the forum. if it be God's will, george is scheduled to go back to work, as a mud engineer, on a deep water oil rig off the coast of tanzania in africa. the type of rig he will be working on is a 6th generation deep water rig. the deep water horizon rig in the gulf of mexico which was destroyed be the explosion was a 4th generation deep water rig. 4th generation vs 6th generation is kind of like getting an upgrade on fries (ya, i eat them sometimes). but, a really nice and fancy upgrade. i know in the bowels of my being that God the Father is in control of ALL. i experience His sovereignty daily and am reaching the stark reality of what that truly means. 2 of those killed on the rig in the gulf were mud engineers, as my george is. so, this is way longer of a post than i expected to write, but, well...please keep george and me in your prayers.

claudia

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2010, 05:30:43 PM »

Of course claudia....

Marlene

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2010, 11:22:05 PM »

Claudia, You and George will be in my prayers.

In His Love,
Marlene

darren

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2010, 12:34:46 AM »

Yes Claudia, I will be praying for George That the Lord will keep him safe.

Darren

darren

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2010, 12:54:33 AM »

Thank God the well has stop gushing. From what the local news is reporting the part that the gov. can not account for is larger than the Exxon valdies spill. Also no one knows when and if or where the oil will come up at. Is it some where under the water?? What will be the long term effect of the dispersant's that the gov. said is safe?? The coast guard says they can find any oil, where  our local fishermen have no trouble. Theres a big difference is what the nation is being told and what is actually going on down here. Bp is starting to pull out resources. Local officials were told no booms will be removed in a meeting with Bp and the coast guard. Later that night our parish officials got phone calls saying they were loading booms and equipment on to trucks and moving them out. Our parish presidents call local officials and had them stop. As I stated in the beginning of my post. Thank God the oil has stop.

Darren

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2010, 08:31:30 AM »

Also no one knows when and if or where the oil will come up at

There are many people who believe there is still a lot of oil under the surface.

"Out of sight, out of mind."

It seems the top-kill is working. But if the bottom-kill fails and there is another spill, BP could be off the hook because the bottom-kill is at the Fed's direction.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.