bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Obituary  (Read 6245 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Obituary
« on: May 21, 2010, 10:22:20 AM »

I just read an obituary in the paper of a poor young person who died too early.  I feel sorry for the family, but there was a statement that left me shaking my head.  '

It stated that they "were a proud Christian"  Should pride and Christian really go together?  I know I'm nit picking but.......

Craig

Ninny

Re: Obituary
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 10:42:55 AM »

Craig, I know these thoughts...I used to be a "proud Christian" I'm glad I lived through it!! I hope I never go back there again...I was a smug, know-it-all! God is good!!  :-[
Kathy ;)

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 12:11:38 PM »

Is nit picking contageous  :D

mharrell08

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 12:50:31 PM »

Could be one of those 'glass half empty/glass half full' kind of things.

On one hand, 'pride comes before the fall'. But this obituary says 'proud' which could be self-exalting or rather on a positive note, could be 'not ashamed'.

Matt 11:5-6  The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them. And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me.

Luke 9:26  For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed...

Guess depends on how one looks at it, I guess.

aqrinc

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 01:31:27 PM »

Could be one of those 'glass half empty/glass half full' kind of things.

On one hand, 'pride comes before the fall'. But this obituary says 'proud' which could be self-exalting or rather on a positive note, could be 'not ashamed'.

Matt 11:5-6  The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them. And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me.

Luke 9:26  For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed...

Guess depends on how one looks at it, I guess.

True Marques, eye of the beholder or intent of the heart and mind.

george ;D.

Linny

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 07:40:33 PM »

When I read that my first thought was like in Marques' post- that he was not ashamed.

GinaMilan

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 12:48:46 AM »

"Proud Christian"?  Maybe Ray would say, is that like "free will" or "square circles"?

pride |prīd|
noun  
1 a feeling or deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements

See, since we're all too painfully aware that "His achievement [workmanship] are we," it makes us cringe to read things like that, but I agree with Marques... one never knows, and pride goes before destruction....;)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 12:53:54 AM by GinaMilan »

musicman

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 01:28:57 AM »

Well, I guess it's better than an obituary saying "he was a proud alchoholic".

Ellie

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 05:47:56 AM »

I think I would just rather be thankful for everything.  Yep, I've met some of those proud alcoholics.......

Craig

• There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 08:33:27 AM »

Yes Gina, if I am say I'm proud of something I've done then to me it means of my own achievement.  When I die my obit should read  "a grateful Christian"

Craig

Stacey

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 09:57:44 AM »

I agree with you 100 percent Craig.
Stacey

GinaMilan

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 02:10:18 AM »

Yes Gina, if I am say I'm proud of something I've done then to me it means of my own achievement.  When I die my obit should read  "a grateful Christian"

Craig

I get the biggest kick out of that picture and caption.  I think that's what my obit will be.  ;D  Just kidding.  I am very grateful.  I'm only being silly because I'm happy to be here.  Thanks for everything, Craig.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 02:12:25 AM by GinaMilan »

judith collier

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 12:02:51 AM »

Arc, yes, one word around here can set the whole bunch off!! judy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 22 queries.