bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JOb 1: 6 The sons of God  (Read 7674 times)

octoberose

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
JOb 1: 6 The sons of God
« on: May 25, 2010, 12:23:16 PM »

I've been looking up who it is believed that the sons of God are in Job. They come to be presented before the Lord, and Satan comes among them.  I'm not satisfied with the speculation I've found on who this is. Can any of you illuminate me?
 Thank you

jingle52

Re: JOb 1: 6 The sons of God
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 03:46:04 PM »

Hello Octoberose,
I may be completely wrong, but I read somewhere (can't remember where or when), that God sends His angles among us to see what we are doing, and then every midnight(?) they come before God to give their report. I like to think that that is also a way God knows (apart from His Spirit being everywhere) what His children are up to. Maybe this is speculation too?
God's Blessings,
Prudence

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 04:28:50 PM »

Job 1:6  Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.

Job 2:1  Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD.

Hi octoberose,

We may not know for sure who wrote the book of Ruth, Esther or Job yet it should suffice that they are in the cannon as Scripture and that...

2Ti 3:16  All scripture is given by inspiration of God....... 8)

So we have - the Psalms, which is Psalms, Proverbs and Job.
Job is a poem.  I don’t know if you know that.  The 42 chapters of Job is a poem.  
Now Job does not appear to be a Jew or a Israelite.  It seems that he was a Pharaoh in Egypt.  But to pin down when he lived, I got 2000 BC all the way to 500.  

I personally think that he lived at about the time of Abraham, which would have been 1800 or 1900 BC.  I based that pretty much on the fact that 500 or 600 years later people were living to be 120 - 110 - 80 - 75 years old.  And 200 or 300 years earlier they were living to be 250 - 300 - 400 years old.  Job lived to be about 200, so he lived to about the age that people were living to at the time of Abraham.  I would probably put him about 1800 - 1900 BC.  And he apparently was one of the Pharaoh of Egypt, don’t know which one.
L Ray Smith Re: Mobile Conference 2007 ~ HOW WE GOT THE BIBLE

Arc

mharrell08

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 04:44:59 PM »

Hello Octoberose,
I may be completely wrong, but I read somewhere (can't remember where or when), that God sends His angles among us to see what we are doing, and then every midnight(?) they come before God to give their report. I like to think that that is also a way God knows (apart from His Spirit being everywhere) what His children are up to. Maybe this is speculation too?
God's Blessings,
Prudence

Yes it is and there are no scriptures to support this belief.

Joel

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 08:58:35 PM »

Isaiah 64:8-- But now, O Lord, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand.
Luke 3:38-- Which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, WHICH WAS THE SON OF GOD.
1 John 3:1--Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the SONS OF GOD: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
selah
Joel

daywalker

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 09:20:50 PM »

I've been looking up who it is believed that the sons of God are in Job. They come to be presented before the Lord, and Satan comes among them.  I'm not satisfied with the speculation I've found on who this is. Can any of you illuminate me?
 Thank you

Outside of the Book of Job, every place in scripture in which the phrase "sons of God" is found is in reference to humans...

Search for exact phrase "sons of God" in English Standard Version using eSword resulted in 11 found [3 in Job]:

Gen_6:2; Gen_6:4; Deu_32:8; Job_1:6; Job_2:1; Job_38:7; Mat_5:9; Luk_20:36; Rom_8:14; Rom_8:19; Gal_3:26;

I know of no place in scripture that "angels" are referred to as "sons of God". Though, we do have this statement from our Lord:

Luke 20:34 And Jesus said to them, "The sons of this age marry and are given in marriage,
35 but those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and to the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage,
36 for they cannot die anymore, because they [humans] are equal to angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection.

Whether He's saying that the 'they' are like angels--who are sons of God--or the 'they' are like angels and [in addition to that] are sons of God; I don't have an answer for ya... but maybe someone here does...  ???

Daywalker  8)

Kat

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 11:08:23 PM »

Job 1:6  Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.

The Septuagint, οἱ αγγελοι του θεου - the angels of God. The Chaldee, כתי מלאכיא  kittey malachaiya - troops of angels.

Actually I think the answer can be found right there in the book of Job as to who these "sons of God" are.  In chapter 38 "the LORD" is answering Job and He speaks of how He was the one responsible for preforming the wonderous works of creation.

Job 38:1  Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind:
v. 2  "Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge?
v. 3  Gird up your loins like a man, I will question you, and you shall declare to me.
v. 4  "Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding.
v. 5  Who determined its measurements--surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it?
v. 6  On what were its bases sunk, or who laid its cornerstone,
v. 7  when the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

So we can see that there is a reference in the same book that seems to be speaking of a time when these "sons of God shouted for joy," because they witnessed the very foundations of the earth being laid and I think we can safely say there were no human beings at that time. So this is an assembly of His angels that were rejoicing at the glorious creation of the universe.
Now we do also have another account in the Scriptures of a very simular incident in 1 Kings.

1Kings 22:19  And Micai'ah said, "Therefore hear the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on His throne, and all the host of heaven standing beside Him on His right hand and on his left;

1Kings 22:21  Then a spirit came forward and stood before the LORD, saying, 'I will entice him.'

So here there is "the host of heaven" spoken of, these heavenly angels/messengers gathered before the Lord. It's just easy to see how these to separate Scriptures are speaking of the same thing. Hope this is of some help.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 12:19:39 AM by Kat »

octoberose

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 11:58:48 PM »

Thank you so much. You did a lot or work to answer that question and I really appreciate it.

wisdom

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 10:09:38 PM »

So the sons of God are angels and the son of man are humans or Jesus Christ I'm confuse can someone explain, thanks.

Kat

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 11:16:11 PM »

Hi wisdom,

Actually I think it depends on the context and also what the writer is referencing. Take for instance the term "sons of God" in Job, what we have been discussing does seem to be referring to angels. But in Genesis 6 the term "sons of God" is referring to men. So it's not so clear cut and simple.
Here is an email about the sons of God in Genesis 6.

http://bible-truths.com/email12.htm#angels --------------------------------

Hello Sir,

Could you please shed some insights about the fallen angels in Genesis Chp6 1-7. Apparently it goes to say, there was too much wickedness on earth that it grieved God.
I am a bit confused about that. I believe God is ALL KNOWING so why did He got so grieved and decided to wipe these people off the face of the Earth with the exception of Noah.

Your explanation would be greatly appreciated if you have time

God Bless and Stay Blessed
Abed

[Ray Replies]
Dear Abed:

Thank you for your email and questions.

Gen. 6 has absolutely NOTHING to do with "fallen angels." The "sons of God" and the "daughters of men" is not speaking of mortals and spirit beings. This is just another one of Christendom's fables.

Jesus plainly told us that,
"Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the Scriptures, nor the power of God., For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage [why? why aren't they given in marriage? Answer....] ...but are AS THE ANGELS of God in heaven" (Matt. 22:30).
The angels CANNOT MARRY (they have no 'marriage apparatus' if you know what I mean). Yet we are told in Gen. 6:2, that "they took them WIVES of all which they chose." To have a "wife" one must be "MARRIED." The sons of God and the daughters of men are BOTH HUMAN.

I believe that verse 4 of Gen. 6 is a terrible translation in the King James. Since most translators have bought into the 'angels fornicating with women' theory, most of them have a very strange translation of this verse. There are whole words in this Hebrew verse that are not even translated at all in most versions.

Notice this translation from the Concordant Version:
"Now the DISTINGUISHED come to be in the earth in those days, and moreover, afterward, coming are those who are sons of God to the daughters of the human, and they bear for them. They are the MASTERS, who are from the eon, MORTALS with the name."
Sorry I don't have time to explain the meaning of all these verses, but at least I want you to know that this is not a case of angels fornicating with women.

God be with you,

Ray

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 11:44:24 PM by Kat »

wisdom

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 12:53:32 AM »

Thanks kat that cleared it up a little better God bless

Joel

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 07:30:11 AM »

Hebrews 1:4 Thus he became far greater than the angels, as proved by the fact that his name "Son of God," which was passed on to him from his Father, is far greater than the NAMES AND TITLES OF THE ANGELS.
5,6 For God NEVER SAID TO ANY ANGEL, "You are my son, and today I have given you the honor that goes with that name." But God said it about Jesus. And another time he said, " I am his Father and he is my Son." And still another time- when his first born Son came to earth- God said, "Let all the angels of God worship him."
7 God speaks of his ANGELS as messengers swift as the wind and as servants made of flaming fire;
13 And did God ever say to an Angel, as he does to his Son, " Sit here beside me in honor until I crush all your enemies beneath your feet."
14 NO, FOR THE ANGELS ARE ONLY SPIRIT-MESSENGERS SENT OUT TO HELP AND CARE FOR THOSE WHO ARE TO RECEIVE HIS SALVATION.

Joel

gmik

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 02:43:59 PM »

why was satan amongst this group?  he had clear access to the father.  If these were human/messengers, I have heard prosperity (false)teaachers say, bcs Adam had given up his claim to inherit the earth-he should have been there-so satan took his place! aaaaahhhhhh! I believed that years ago- I do not now!  Parable or allegory seems more likely.

G. Driggs

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 01:20:04 AM »

I had always wondered about "the sons of God" too and Kat you were right on. It is possible for angels to be "sons of God", and Ray explains how that is possible.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHO AND WHAT IS JESUS? & WHO IS HIS FATHER? . . . Nashville Conference 2007

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,4472.0.html

So here were sons of God.  Well why aren’t we like them then?  If God made the heavens and the angels - sons of God and He made the earth.  Why weren’t we made then?  We have to go through all this.  Well it just appears in this strange work of God, this bizarre creation of His, that He is doing something with us different. 
Angels are created, they come out of God.  But they are created.  We are not created sons of God, nope. 

Now suppose you were lucky enough that some monarch would let you live in his palace, for what ever reason.  You can partake of all the goodies, have fine food, all the entertaining.  Wouldn’t that be great.  What if though, He made you a personal confident of his, wow.  I mean somebody like the queen of England.  What if a king would adopt you, as his own.  Well we are moving on up the line here, now we are adopted.  But what would be better yet, what if you were actually born into that family, you were literally a son of the king. 

The difference between these sons of God and us, sons of God, we are going to be BORN into God’s family.  I mean we are going to be real born sons and daughters of God, born.  BORN!  That’s what it means, it’s a much closer relationship.  A little bit tougher on the requirement side though. 

Now notice in Hebrews 1, we don’t want to say these things without backing them up, right.

Heb 1:5  For unto which of the angels…

Remember we talked about the angels called, sons of God shouting for joy and appeared before God.  You know when they were talking about Job and so on.  They were sons of God, angelic beings.  “But unto which of the angels said he at any time, you are my son, this day have I BEGOTTEN you…”  Created?  No, begotten!  You may not know about this Greek word, in the Greek there is no separate word for begotten and born, same word. 

You got to be careful, when Christ said, “except you be born again”  we are not born again.  But we are begotten anew, from on high.  Some of these words are left out of the KJ.  It should be “we are begotten anew, from on high.”   You are begotten once in the flesh from our parents.  Now we are begotten anew, a new begettal from on high.  And when we are born into the kingdom of God, then we are made where our flesh and blood is turned into spiritual bodies.  We will be like God, brother of Christ, like God.  So which of the of the sons did He ever say that?  Well He said that to His Son, but He never said it to the angels. 

Heb 2:10  For it became Him, for whom are all things(speaking of Jesus), and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.
v. 11  For both He that sanctifieth and they that are sanctified are all of one: for which cause He is not ashamed to call them brethren,

There it is!  Did He ever do this with the angels, in His original creation?  Back there between the heaven and the earth, when they shouted for joy.  When He put the earth in motion and started pushing it around the universe and they shouted for joy and sang?  No.  They were created beings.  We are begotten.  But remember we only have the earnest, the down payment.

Like a conception, there is not a baby until it’s born.  Am I right doctor?  You are a OBGYN?  So Dr. Carol here knows all about what I’m talking about.  When you are begotten, when there is a conception, there is no baby, yet.  Not until they start to cry, then you cut the umbilical cord, now we got a human being, born.
So we will be born.  There is a big difference between being purchased or being adopted and being born into royalty, born into the family of God. 

Jesus Christ was born of God.  I’m seeing in the scripture now, that happened when He was a human, in Mary.  We got to go through the scripture and see where He came from.  Jesus Christ never once said, I came out of my mother’s womb.  He tells us where He came from.  I can show you 10 places in scripture, where He says where He came from. Not one of them says His mother’s womb.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peace, G.Driggs

Joel

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 03:45:41 PM »

Hey gmik,
Revelation 12:10, cleared that up for me.
And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the Kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: FOR THE ACCUSER OF OUR BRETHEN IS CAST DOWN, WHICH ACCUSED THEM BEFORE OUR GOD DAY AND NIGHT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 20 queries.