bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is "heretical baptism"?  (Read 7858 times)

daywalker

What is "heretical baptism"?
« on: May 27, 2010, 11:49:44 PM »

Hello brothers and sisters,

I'm currently reading "The History of the Christian Church" [Volume II] by Philip Schaff, and I notice he keeps referencing "heretical baptism", but I'm not sure what exactly that means. I've been researching it a bit, and have read some quotes from Early Church Fathers but haven't yet gotten a clear picture of it. It seems it has something to do with being baptized outside of the "official church", perhaps like being baptized in a gnostic church...??  [Also, according to a certain site, "Baptists" are considered "heretics"... funny, considering I used to be a Baptist.. Looks like I jumped from one 'heretical boat' to another  :D ]

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Daywalker  8)

GinaMilan

Re: What is "heretical baptism"?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 03:03:15 AM »

Hi Daywalker: 

I googled the words "heretical baptism" and "is heretical baptism." 

From what I can tell so far, it is a literal baptism that's considered invalid by some because the baptism was performed by someone they deem/ed a heretic and the literal water used for the baptism was considered "not genuine water."

How's that?  ;D

daywalker

Re: What is "heretical baptism"?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 02:41:39 PM »

Hi Daywalker: 

I googled the words "heretical baptism" and "is heretical baptism." 

From what I can tell so far, it is a literal baptism that's considered invalid by some because the baptism was performed by someone they deem/ed a heretic and the literal water used for the baptism was considered "not genuine water."

How's that?  ;D

Haha, how dare they not use 'holy' water!  :D ;)

Yep... kinda the same impression I was getting... it seems some churches were baptizing people before they 'converted' to Christianity or just baptizing people without requiring them to convert... kinda how John the Baptist did it actually...  ???

Thanks for your input, Gina.

Daywalker  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 20 queries.