bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paul & Barnabas  (Read 12283 times)

G. Driggs

Re: Paul & Barnabas
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 01:54:40 PM »

Just me thinking out loud here. I think this is a perfect example of how we are to encourage one another. Paul was using the tough love method, and Barnabas (son of Consolation) was using a more consolation type approach, and it seems John/Mark needed it after he departed from them in Pamphylia, and I bet it worked!

Many times I have seen these two types of encouragement being used here and to good effect. Although it takes the love of Christ and the wisdom to know which type to use on a person depending on the situation. Almost always after someone has had a dose of tough love I have noticed someone else follow up with a more tender approach, and the person often ends up for the better. Thats what I love about this place, you all are trying to  strengthen, exhort, admonish, and encourage one another through the love of Christ. For what other reason has Christ given us to one another?

Isa 35:4  Say to them that are of a fearful heart, Be strong, fear not: behold, your God will come with vengeance, even God with a recompence; he will come and save you.

1Th 5:14  And we urge you, beloved, to admonish the idlers, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with all of them.
1Th 5:15  See that none of you repays evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to all.
1Th 5:16  Rejoice always,
1Th 5:17  pray without ceasing,
1Th 5:18  give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Heb 12:11  At the time, discipline isn't much fun. It always feels like it's going against the grain. Later, of course, it pays off handsomely, for it's the well-trained who find themselves mature in their relationship with God.
Heb 12:12  So don't sit around on your hands! No more dragging your feet!
Heb 12:13  Clear the path for long-distance runners so no one will trip and fall, so no one will step in a hole and sprain an ankle. Help each other out. And run for it!

Thanks Marques for your post, and thanks all for your responses.

Peace, G.Driggs

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 02:03:14 PM »

What I learned from this Thread is that God creates margin for our opinions to take us either left or right of the topic under discussion. Then there is the narrow path and that is to admit, we do not know. I did not know that Mark is not necessarily the John Mark mentioned elsewhere. Finding this out through the contribution from Marques, shows to me how easily we may be swayed either left or right into divisions, oppositions and strife.

It is wonderful how God is working all things together for good for those who love Him.

I enjoyed your post G.Driggs.  :) It shows many members in One Body of Christ.

Arc

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 09:09:19 PM »

G. Driggs,
Your post summed up the wisdom in this situation!!
I like that!!
I hope no one sees Paul nor Barnabas in a right or wrong scenario, I believe that wasn't the case at all.

They were both stubborn and hard headed in there convictions to let a matter such as this divide them.
Both their admonishments were correct though!
The brothers were also there to consult:
Act 15:40  And Paul chose Silas, and departed, being recommended by the brethren unto the grace of God.

Besides, it was Silas' turn to hang out with Paul!  ;D

Antaiwan

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 05:10:10 AM »

I hope no one sees Paul nor Barnabas in a right or wrong scenario

Right Akira329! :)

In this instance between Paul and Barnabas,  it was GOD who declared the separation, and to see right or wrong is perhaps to evaluate God Himself as right or wrong. :D Well that is how I see it, rightly or wrongly :D

That is not to say that we don't have ample opportunity to discern right from wrong, evil from good. That is part of why we are here to learn to do exactly that! It is just like God to put in a third element where in we can "by their fruits" know them, not their opinions! :D :)

Arc
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 05:15:20 AM by Arcturus »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.