bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Cousin  (Read 4029 times)

onelovedread

My Cousin
« on: June 09, 2010, 08:21:53 PM »

My 62 year old cousin, Garth died last night after battling a brain tumor which was found after his cancerous right lung was removed last August. For many years he had been a chronic marijuana user who always mixed his drug with tobacco.
I'd been visiting him once a week since last year when he was admitted to hospital. I never prayed with him at his bedside and occasionally shared scriptures. He was not open to that type of sharing and would constantly curse me with quite vivid expressions which I could not repeat here.  But he would always tell me he loved me after his tirades, and I told him I loved him too. Near the end, his sister requested that I get my ex-pastor to come and pray for him, but when I asked my cousin's permission he did not say yes or no. And somehow I did not feel led in my spirit to do so.
I once made a thoughtless remark which revealed or at least hinted at my self-righteousness and he quite rightly rebuked me. He told me that he prayed everyday and who the hell was I to judge him. I told him I was sorry and I really was.
I find that I am not sad because he died before he underwent severe pain, and I believe now that God does not finish with us when we die. My cousin, like all of us, will stand at the judgment and God will decide his future. Thank God that we now know that there is no 'eternal' torture at the hands of a wicked deity who will let sinners perish in fire that burns forever yet does not consume flesh.
Because of Ray's teaching me on the sovereign God Who operates all, I find myself feeling full of hope and no longer worrying about my cousin's soul or self-righteously condemning him.

mharrell08

Re: My Cousin
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 08:33:52 PM »

Because of Ray's teaching me on the sovereign God Who operates all, I find myself feeling full of hope and no longer worrying about my cousin's soul or self-righteously condemning him.

Amen to that...sorry to hear of your loss.

aqrinc

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 12:09:31 AM »

My 62 year old cousin, Garth died last night after battling a brain tumor which was found after his cancerous right lung was removed last August. For many years he had been a chronic marijuana user who always mixed his drug with tobacco.
I'd been visiting him once a week since last year when he was admitted to hospital. I never prayed with him at his bedside and occasionally shared scriptures. He was not open to that type of sharing and would constantly curse me with quite vivid expressions which I could not repeat here.  But he would always tell me he loved me after his tirades, and I told him I loved him too. Near the end, his sister requested that I get my ex-pastor to come and pray for him, but when I asked my cousin's permission he did not say yes or no. And somehow I did not feel led in my spirit to do so.
I once made a thoughtless remark which revealed or at least hinted at my self-righteousness and he quite rightly rebuked me. He told me that he prayed everyday and who the hell was I to judge him. I told him I was sorry and I really was.
I find that I am not sad because he died before he underwent severe pain, and I believe now that God does not finish with us when we die. My cousin, like all of us, will stand at the judgment and God will decide his future. Thank God that we now know that there is no 'eternal' torture at the hands of a wicked deity who will let sinners perish in fire that burns forever yet does not consume flesh.

Amen brother, that is what i understand too.

Heb 9:27  And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

george.

Ellie

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 02:34:38 AM »

Sorry for your loss and do appreciate you sharing your experience of your Uncle with us.We can certainly be grateful for all that we learn here.....

Samson

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 01:56:37 PM »

Onelovedread,

My condolences in regards to your cousin, Garth. Yes, it gives us peace of mind knowing they are asleep awaiting the resurrection like everyone else and their not suffering anymore or after death. Sorry for your loss.

Kind Regards, Samson.

Linny

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 03:53:13 PM »

I am so sorry for your loss and I am happy you no longer have to worry about his whereabouts. I lost my father in 08 and believe me, I was thrilled to know he would not be tortured endlessly as his life did not relect our Father. Now I can look forward to seeing him again in his perfected state-and I do!

Roy Coates

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 05:39:11 PM »

Thanks for sharing the painful testimony as well as the positive testimony. God be with you, Roy

Ninny

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 01:34:13 AM »

Hi Onelovedread...
I saw your post about your cousin and I am sorry to hear that...I have lost People close to me and I know how hard it is..but also how comforting to know the truth!
This morning I was on facebook and I noticed that Roy Coats posted Romans 11:31 how comforting that verse is! I won't copy the verse here, but you can look it up...I think you'll find it refreshing! I want to thank Roy C. for posting that, how timely!
Kathy  :'(

onelovedread

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 12:24:44 AM »

Romans 8:31 "even so these also have now been disobedient, that through the mercy shown you they also may obtain mercy"
Thank you all for your many words of encouragement and comfort. I find strength in them and appreciate you who are my spiritual family and fellow members of the Body.
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 20 queries.