bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Truth from Unlikely Sources  (Read 5946 times)

mharrell08

Truth from Unlikely Sources
« on: June 12, 2010, 09:54:35 AM »

The following are a few examples of the truth of God being spoken by those you'd least expect. Jesus was certainly true when He stated that God could 'raise up stones' [Matt 3:9; Lk 3:8] to worship as His servant Abraham.

Job 4:17  Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?

The passage above was not spoken by Job. This was actually stated by Eliphaz the Temanite, one of 3 men who came to comfort Job in his tribulations. Towards the end of Job's trials, the Lord expresses His displeasure with Eliphaz and his 2 friends for not 'speaking the truth concerning Me' [Job 42:8].

[Side note: Not to steer off into another subject, but the book of Job is a good read in understanding how the 'wisdom of the world' is 'foolish to God' (1 Cor 3:19). While the statement above is true, what the 3 friends continued to imply in their overal argument throughout the book of Job was totally false.]

Dan 4:34-35  At the end of the days I Nebuchadnezzar lifted up mine eyes unto heaven, and mine understanding returned unto me, and I blessed the most High, and I praised and honoured Him that liveth for ever, whose dominion is an everlasting dominion, and His kingdom is from generation to generation:

And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and He doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay His hand, or say unto Him, What doest thou?

This passage is not spoken by Daniel, but rather King Nebuchadnezzar. The same Nebuchadnezzar who consulted 'magicians & astrologers' [Dan 1:20] during his reign as well as tossing Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego into the furnace of fire for 'not serving my gods, nor worshiping the golden image which I [Nebuchadnezzar] have set up.'

Num 22:27-31  the donkey saw the Angel of the LORD, she lay down under Balaam; so Balaam’s anger was aroused, and he struck the donkey with his staff. Then the LORD opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, “What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?”

And Balaam said to the donkey, “Because you have abused me. I wish there were a sword in my hand, for now I would kill you!” So the donkey said to Balaam, “Am I not your donkey on which you have ridden, ever since I became yours, to this day? Was I ever disposed to do this to you?” And he said, “No.” Then the LORD opened Balaam’s eyes, and he saw the Angel of the LORD...

This one pretty much speaks for itself...a donkey TALKING??? LOL, and not only talking but speaking the truth.

Acts 5:29-30, 34, 38-39  Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men. The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree...

Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law...now I [Gamaliel, a Pharisee] say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought: But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.

Peter and the apostles are brought before the Pharisees and leaders of the Jews. They speak the gospel and preach obedience to God over the traditions of men. After the counsel was 'cut to the heart [offended] and wanted to kill them' [Acts 5:33], Gamaliel informs the counsel that they should refrain from such actions.

John 3:1-2  There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.

Again, another Pharisee speaking the truth, even if not fully understanding the gospel [John 3:10].

John 11:47-48  Then gathered the chief priests and the Pharisees a council, and said, What do we? for this man doeth many miracles. If we let him thus alone, all men will believe on him...

John 11:49-53  one of them [Pharisees & High Counsel], named Caiaphas, being the high priest that same year, said unto them, Ye know nothing at all, Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.

And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation; And not for that nation only, but that also he should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad. Then from that day forth they took counsel together for to put him to death.

This is a two-parter. First the counsel reasons that if Jesus continues in His ministry and His many miracles, all men will believe in Him. This is the same reasoning spoken by the Lord concerning Sodom, Tyre, Sidon and really any other city which has been destroyed because of their rebelliousness [Matt 11:23, Lk 10:13], when a few 'mighty works' would have brought all the people in these cities to repentance.

After, the high priest this year prophecies how it is 'expedient' [of utmost importance] that one man should die for the people. And not only their one nation, but to gather together in one the children of God that are scattered abroad.

As Paul told the pagan Athenians, we all are God's offspring in that we 'live, move, and have our being' in Him. Again, these Pharisees speaking the truth even if not understanding fully.

Thanks,

Marques

Deborah-Leigh

Re: Truth from Unlikely Sources
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 12:26:57 PM »

Job 4:17  Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?

The passage above was not spoken by Job. This was actually stated by Eliphaz the Temanite, one of 3 men who came to comfort Job in his tribulations

Job made a similar statement made by Eliphaz yet God did not approve Eliphazes observations of Him and approved Job because there is a difference!

Job  stated : Job 9:2  Truly I know it is so, but how can man be just with God?

God qualified the things spoken by Job of Himself.

Job 42:7  And it happened after Jehovah had spoken these words to Job, Jehovah said to Eliphaz the Temanite, My wrath is kindled against you and your two friends. (Bildad and Zophar) for you have not spoken of Me what is right, as My servant Job has.

Yet Job said very much the same thing as Eliphaz! God shows us His wrath was against Job's three friends, because why......? Also God did not include Elihu under His disapproval why....because..

Job 32:3  Also his wrath ( Elihu) was kindled against his (Job’s) three friends, because they had found no answer and had condemned Job.

The conclusions were different though the statements made by Job and Eliphaz appear to be the same. Well, to me they do anyway...on the surface I mean....The statement appears to be the same yet look at how different the deductions are!

Job sees the goodness of God and Eliphaz sees God as is expressed later by Christ who tells us:

Mat 25:24  And he who had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew that you were a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you did not scatter.

The bitterness of this perception of God, as reflected in the above Scripture, resulted in the Word of God  being choked in him to thwart any good fruit to develop from faith. Jesus said ;

Mat 25:30  And throw the unprofitable servant into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Bitterness against God for creating evil can thwart our best intentions. That bitterness can be fueled by all the tests of God coming against us to test our faith in the forms of a mere donkey not doing what we want for our conveniences to those who out rightly, overtly or covertly oppose, hate, despise, reject or persecute us.

Faith gives life to continue through God’s divine influence on our hearts that is His Grace, to be fruitful. :)
Arc
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 12:40:27 PM by Arcturus »

judith collier

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 07:01:27 PM »

Arc, looks good to me. Bitterness can kill you.

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 09:32:15 PM »

As Paul told the pagan Athenians, we all are God's offspring in that we 'live, move, and have our being' in Him. Again, these Pharisees speaking the truth even if not understanding fully.

All great observations, Marques.  It meshes well with:

Php 4:8  For the rest, brothers, whatever is true, whatever honorable, whatever is right, whatever pure, whatever lovely, whatever of good report, if of any virtue, and if of any praise, think on these things.

to me.

This is coming at a good time for me.  Thanks for posting.   

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Beloved

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 10:41:07 PM »

Then there is Pilot the clueless   He asked .....What is truth?

It is not a what ......it is a WHO.

It is same question asked by all and the reason for the numerous denominations and the beliefs in the world. Always trying to eat of the tree of good and evil...not the tree of Life. it is not about dualities it is about ONE.

beloved

Joel

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 02:54:17 AM »

Truth from an unlikely source indeed.
Matthew 4:5-6
Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple, and said unto him, if though be the Son of God, cast thyself down, for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, least at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone. Psalms 91:11-12

Joel

Akira329

• "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 03:10:17 PM »

These are all great examples Marques!
I wonder if there are other examples in scripture?

Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

soberxp

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 08:55:14 PM »

but the book of Job is a good read in understanding how the 'wisdom of the world' is 'foolish to God' (1 Cor 3:19).  ;D   yeah!ALL the technology(GEN 3:17)!   

Samson

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 12:03:08 PM »

The following are a few examples of the truth of God being spoken by those you'd least expect. Jesus was certainly true when He stated that God could 'raise up stones' [Matt 3:9; Lk 3:8] to worship as His servant Abraham.

Job 4:17  Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?

The passage above was not spoken by Job. This was actually stated by Eliphaz the Temanite, one of 3 men who came to comfort Job in his tribulations. Towards the end of Job's trials, the Lord expresses His displeasure with Eliphaz and his 2 friends for not 'speaking the truth concerning Me' [Job 42:8].

[Side note: Not to steer off into another subject, but the book of Job is a good read in understanding how the 'wisdom of the world' is 'foolish to God' (1 Cor 3:19). While the statement above is true, what the 3 friends continued to imply in their overal argument throughout the book of Job was totally false.]

Dan 4:34-35  At the end of the days I Nebuchadnezzar lifted up mine eyes unto heaven, and mine understanding returned unto me, and I blessed the most High, and I praised and honoured Him that liveth for ever, whose dominion is an everlasting dominion, and His kingdom is from generation to generation:

And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and He doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay His hand, or say unto Him, What doest thou?

This passage is not spoken by Daniel, but rather King Nebuchadnezzar. The same Nebuchadnezzar who consulted 'magicians & astrologers' [Dan 1:20] during his reign as well as tossing Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego into the furnace of fire for 'not serving my gods, nor worshiping the golden image which I [Nebuchadnezzar] have set up.'

Num 22:27-31  the donkey saw the Angel of the LORD, she lay down under Balaam; so Balaam’s anger was aroused, and he struck the donkey with his staff. Then the LORD opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, “What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?”

And Balaam said to the donkey, “Because you have abused me. I wish there were a sword in my hand, for now I would kill you!” So the donkey said to Balaam, “Am I not your donkey on which you have ridden, ever since I became yours, to this day? Was I ever disposed to do this to you?” And he said, “No.” Then the LORD opened Balaam’s eyes, and he saw the Angel of the LORD...

This one pretty much speaks for itself...a donkey TALKING??? LOL, and not only talking but speaking the truth.

Acts 5:29-30, 34, 38-39  Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men. The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree...

Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law...now I [Gamaliel, a Pharisee] say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought: But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.

Peter and the apostles are brought before the Pharisees and leaders of the Jews. They speak the gospel and preach obedience to God over the traditions of men. After the counsel was 'cut to the heart [offended] and wanted to kill them' [Acts 5:33], Gamaliel informs the counsel that they should refrain from such actions.

John 3:1-2  There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.

Again, another Pharisee speaking the truth, even if not fully understanding the gospel [John 3:10].

John 11:47-48  Then gathered the chief priests and the Pharisees a council, and said, What do we? for this man doeth many miracles. If we let him thus alone, all men will believe on him...

John 11:49-53  one of them [Pharisees & High Counsel], named Caiaphas, being the high priest that same year, said unto them, Ye know nothing at all, Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.

And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation; And not for that nation only, but that also he should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad. Then from that day forth they took counsel together for to put him to death.

This is a two-parter. First the counsel reasons that if Jesus continues in His ministry and His many miracles, all men will believe in Him. This is the same reasoning spoken by the Lord concerning Sodom, Tyre, Sidon and really any other city which has been destroyed because of their rebelliousness [Matt 11:23, Lk 10:13], when a few 'mighty works' would have brought all the people in these cities to repentance.

After, the high priest this year prophecies how it is 'expedient' [of utmost importance] that one man should die for the people. And not only their one nation, but to gather together in one the children of God that are scattered abroad.

Thanks,

Marques

Good Thread Marques,

A good Scriptural exercise to show that God can CAUSE anyone or anything(Balaams Donkey) to speak Truth, if it's His Will or Purpose to do so. The passage regarding King Nebuchadnezzar is one of my favorite ones, because of His arrogance and haughtiness and having to "Eat Grass," being made humble, followed by giving the glory where it rightfully belonged, to God.

Thanks, Samson.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.