bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My 2nd hand books for sale  (Read 4849 times)

Paul P

My 2nd hand books for sale
« on: June 17, 2010, 08:26:10 AM »

I have an excellent collection of 2nd hand books for sale - many of which Ray has read and enjoyed (though I am not necessarily suggesting Ray recommends that you buy any of them!).

They will be shipped from Spain and the buyer would have to cover the shipping costs on top of the purchase price.

The total 'list price' value of the books is approximately just short of $500 and I would be willing to sell the collection for $200 (plus shipping). The total weight of the package would be approximately 14 kgs (30 llbs). Here is the information list:

'The Englishman's Greek Concordance of the New Testament'  - George V Wigram
Dimensions:  18 cms x 24 cms (4.5 cms thick)    Approx. weight = 1.5 kgs
Hardback.  Excellent condition.  List price with Amazon = $39
Description:  This improved and revised edition features a new, larger format that makes referencing even easier. Coded to Strong’s, it gives the reader with no knowledge of Greek unprecedented insight into the New Testament Greek. An invaluable tool for unearthing the rich meaning of the biblical language.

'The Englishman's Hebrew Concordance of the Old Testament' - George V Wigram
Dimensions:  18 cms x 24 cms (7 cms thick)    Approx. weight = 2.35 kgs
Hardback.  Excellent condition.  List price with Amazon = $45
Description:  This is an improved edition that features a new, larger format.  Coded to Strong's, it is invaluable in Bible study for those who do not know Hebrew. A new index of out-of-sequence Strong's numbers allows the reader to quickly and easily locate any word by its Strong's number. The Hebrew and English indexes have been retained.

‘Rotherham’s Emphasized Bible’ – Joseph Bryant Rotherham
Dimensions: 17 cms x 25 cms (6.5 cms thick)  Approx. weight = 2 kgs
Hardback.  Excellent Condition.  List price with Amazon = $49.99
Description:   Double-column pages; foreword by John R. Kohlenberger III. A literal translation of the original text with symbols that allow the non-reader of Greek and Hebrew to discover the force and intent of the original.

‘Young’s Literal Translation of the Bible’  -  Robert Young
Dimensions:  18.5 cms x 26 cms (5 cms thick)    Approx. weight = 1.5 kgs
Hardback.  Very good condition.  List price with Amazon = $54
Description:   Uses the same Elizabethian language that the King James Version uses. However, being a strictly literal translation, it is an excellent study tool. You can now see exactly what God said and how He said it. There is no changing of words, no softening of words or passages, just translated strictly as it was written in the original languages. How can a reader study a Bible when the translators have interpreted (saying what they thought God meant) instead of translated (saying what God actually said)?  You get the word of God and nothing but the word of God.

‘Concordant Literal New Testament with Keyword Concordance’ – Concordant Publishing Concern.
Dimensions:  15 cms x 19.5 cms (3.5 cms thick)    Approx. weight = 0.67 kg
Hardback.  Excellent condition    List price with Concordant Publishing = $20

‘Concordant Greek Text’ – Concordant Publishing Concern.
Dimensions:  16 cms x 22 cms (3 cms thick)    Approx. weight = 0.8 kg
Hardback.  Excellent condition      List price with Concordant Publishing = $20

‘Concordant Commentary on the New Testament’ – Concordant Publishing Concern.
Dimensions:  14 cms x 20 cms (2.5 cms thick)    Approx. weight = 0.6 kg
Hardback.  Excellent condition       List price with Concordant Publishing = $16

Concordant version of GENESIS
Paperback.  List price with Concordant Publishing = $5.50

Concordant version of EXODUS
Paperback.  List price with Concordant Publishing = $4.50

Concordant version of LEVITICUS and NUMBERS
Papaerback.  List price with Concordant Publishing = $7.00

Concordant version of  DEUTERONOMY
Paperback.  List price with Concordant Publishing = $4.00

Concordant version of PSALMS
Paperback. List price with Concordant Publishing = $7.00

Concordant version of PROVERBS, ECCLESIASTES AND SONG OF SONGS.
Paperback.  List price with Concordant Publishing = $9.00

Concordant version of RUTH AND LAMENTATIONS,
Paperbacks.  List price with Concordant Publishing = $2.00

Concordant version of DANIEL
Paperback.  List price with Concordant Publishing = $3.50

Concordant version of THE FORMER PROPHETS (Joshua, Judges, 1-2 Samuel, 1-2 Kings).
Paperbacks.    List price with Concordant Publishing = $16

Concordant version of 1 CHRONICLES to JOB14.00
Paperbacks.    List price with Concordant Publishing = $14.00

Concordant version of THE LATTER PROPHETS (Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Minor Prophets), 
Paperbacks.    List price with Concordant Publishing = $18.00

----------------

‘Universalism’ – J W Hanson, D.D.
Dimensions:  21.5 cms x 28 cms (1.5 cms thick)    Approx. weight = 0.5 kg
Softback.  Very good condition.  List price with Amazon = $25.99
Description:   John Wesley Hanson (1823-1901) was a prolific writer about Christian Universalism and many hold this book to be the crown jewel of all Hanson's works. It should be next to every BIBLE in the world. Hanson notes that others have written on this topic and states that both of these books are excellent but incomplete. His purpose in writing this book is to include additional material from the writings of the early Church fathers on Universal Salvation.

‘The origin and history of the doctrine of endless punishment’ – Thomas B Thayer..
Dimensions:  16 cms x 24 cms (2.5 cms thick)    Approx. weight = 0.45 kg
Softback.  Very good condition.   List price with Amazon = $41.95
Publisher’s description:   This is a reproduction of a book published before 1923 and may have occasional imperfections such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact, or were introduced by the scanning process. We believe this work is culturally important, and despite the imperfections, have elected to bring it back into print as part of our continuing commitment to the preservation of printed works worldwide. We appreciate your understanding of the imperfections in the preservation process, and hope you enjoy this valuable book.

‘Restitution of all things’ – Andrew Jukes..
Dimensions:  12 cms x 17.5 cms (1.5 cms thick)    Approx. weight = 0.2 kg
Softback.  Fair condition.   List price with Amazon = $13.95
Description:  The majority of Christianity has yet to hear the real reason why the word "gospel", means good news! Nevertheless each generation has had a remnant that embraced the precious reality of God's love in its most complete sense. This book from Jukes is no exception. It is indeed confirmation of something that was true before the very foundation of the world!

‘The Ancient History of Universalism’ – Hosea Ballou 2nd..
Dimensions:  12.5 cms x 20 cms (2.5 cms thick)    Approx. weight = 0.4 kg
Softback.  Good condition.  List price with Amazon = $29.75
Description:   1842. This treatise presents the history of universalism from the time of the apostles to its condemnation in the Fifth General Council, 553 AD, with an appendix tracing the doctrine down to the era of the Reformation. The attentive reader will discover that the ancient history of universalism is naturally distinguished, by certain peculiarities, into three successive periods: the first, extending to the year 190; the second running to the year 390 or 394; and the third, reaching to the Fifth General Council in 553 AD. Due to the age and scarcity of the original we reproduced, some pages may be spotty, faded or difficult to read.

‘The Canterbury Tales’ – Geoffrey Chaucer.
Dimensions:  11 cms x 18 cms (2.5 cms thick)    Approx. weight = 0.2 kg
Softback.  Very good condition.  Retail price $2.99

‘Universal Salvation – The Current Debate’ – Robin A Parry & Christopher H Partridge.
Dimensions:  15 cms x 23 cms (2.5 cms thick)    Approx. weight = 0.45 kg
Softback.  Good condition.  List price with Amazon = $28
Description:  This book provides a well matched game of back and forth with the theological hot potato that is at the heart of the book's "debate." While the writers in this volume are articulate and responsible in handling this hot topic among evangelicals, there is one null theme the critical reader may pick up is that the debate is fueled (in part) by the inherent ambiguity of the concept in the biblical text that all sides claim for their points of view. Biblical ambiguity is the one reality few seem ready to confess when conceding an opponent's point on the issue.

‘What does the Bible really say about Hell?’ – Randy Klassen.
Dimensions:  14 cms x 21.5 cms (1 cm thick)    Approx. weight = 0.2 kg
Softback.  Very good condition.   List price with Amazon = $13.95
Description:   Wrestling with the traditional view. Randolph Klassen addresses every reference to hell in the Bible, offering separate chapters on Acts, the Old Testament, the Gospels and the Epistles. He rejects the traditional notion of hell as a place of eternal torment for the wicked, claiming that such as view "fails the test of justice": in other words, a just and loving God would not sanction eternal suffering with no possibility of parole. Klassen's voice is gentle and pastoral as he analyzes reasons why many individuals need a belief in hell to scare them into heaven.

Any takers?

mharrell08

Re: My 2nd hand books for sale
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 10:17:03 AM »

Paul,

How do you plan on accomplishing this transaction? I don't see a link to an eBay or Amazon posting.

The members would need some sort of assurance that their money will not be lost. It is hard enough to try to recover a loss across state lines within this country. It is next to impossible to recover a loss outside of the U.S.

Most importantly, the members nor the moderators do not know you. We hope your lone purpose for joining this forum was not to pawn off your personal items to strangers. But how can anyone know that is not the case, for sure?

Again, you may want to find a way to assure any potential buyers that their money will not be loss.

Thanks,

Marques

markn902

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 10:49:18 AM »

alot of those books like Jukes restitution of all things you can get from the concordant publishing co
http://www.concordant.org/catalog/index.html direct for alot less than the "listed amazon price"
and you would be supporting a nonprofit association. And as was stated above Ebay also has 2nd hand books for sale and your purchase there is on record providing you with some protection.

Paul P

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 01:42:09 PM »

Boy......you guys sure don't like newcomers!

The two reply posts are so full of suspicion and insinuation of malintention.

It didn't cross my mind that anybody might think that they might send the money and not get the books!

Moderators and other forum members may not know me but (now that I am forced by suspicion to mention it) I have supported this site financially on several occasions. In fact, I ONCE wrote on the forum urging people to support Ray financially. Many of the regular posting forum members at the time mauled me for that post too.......largely for the same reason - the 'suspicion' because I was not known.

It is a genuine offer. Obviously, I would prefer to sell the books locally so that the potential buyer could inspect the books and take them away. But, as forum members may have noticed, not many 'Christians' are interested in knowing that Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the whole world.........so I wouldn't have much of a market really! Also, I am an Englishman living in Spain - so the 'market' (because the books are written in English) is even more miniscule!

Naturally, the perfect people to tell about these books (one would have thought) are you people! Is that dishonest of me?

Regarding the comment 'We hope your lone purpose for joining this forum was not to pawn off your personal items to strangers'.

Here is what I wrote to the opening question on my application to register (which was approved):

(Q) What is your purpose for joining the forum?

(A) "I have an excellent and relevant book collection for sale and wanted to post a notice".

Then I listed many of the books - exactly as I have done above.

Is that dishonest of me?

I expect that because the unwarranted suspicion of malice is clearly exposed by this revelation that this post will be removed.

Regarding the insinuations of dishonesty in the pricing of the books, I got the prices for the Concordant books directly from the Concordant site! I searched the other prices on Amazon.

If the books can be bought secondhand elsewhere, how does that make my offer in any way suspicious or dishonest?

I am offering a collection to people I thought MIGHT be interested.

I have done it openly and honestly.

Yet people still want to suggest I have sinister motives! Like I said, it would seem that strangers aint welcome in theses here parts!

What goes on in some peoples' minds?

Anyway, if anybody is interested in investing in their own knowledge base etc, then please feel free to contact me.

It is very hard to put a fair price on the collection - so I am absolutely open to negotiation.

mharrell08

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 02:13:41 PM »

Paul, I doubt you are that naive. Many people have read or heard of reports of consumers being taken advantage of, based on an internet advertisement. This is why I would recommend caution, to anyone buying anything from someone on the internet.

You still have not said why you are not choosing to advertise your personal items on a commerce website such as eBay or Amazon. You can include the money needed to advertise on these sites to the sell price as well as give consumers some sort of assurance that if the product does not arrive, the website can reimburse them. From that point, all you would need to do is include the link in your post.

As I stated, I hope the selling of your books is not your 'lone' purpose of joining the forum, as in 'only'. If you are here to fellowship and what not, that would be good. But to join, just to sell something, is a bad precedent. What is to stop spammers and marketing people to join just to sell merchandise? How could we say no to them and not to another? I know that is not your problem, but that is why I made the statement I did.

If the offer is genuine, try to make a concerted effort to give 'genuine' assurance to your potential buyers. To just ask for money to be sent, to an outside country and simply wait for the product to arrive is not assuring in the least. Sorry but those are the facts.

Marques

Paul P

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 02:37:19 PM »

Marques said:

"I doubt you are that naive. Many people have read or heard of reports of consumers being taken advantage of, based on an internet advertisement."

I am in no way naive and didn't make any sort of claim to be so. You are speaking as if I have some sort of completely anonymous google advertisement up asking people to immediately send money for the books. But this is a forum of what I thought of as a group of like-minded believers in Jesus Christ as the Saviour of the World - not the worldwide web with all its sleaze and criminal minded people.

The way I (naively) saw it was that there might be some level of initial trust (apparently not so!) amongst like-minded believers and anybody who might be interested could then make some sort of NO OBLIGATION enquiries - then things MIGHT go from there. Obviously when they are entirely satisfied with proceedings!

Marques said "You still have not said ...."

But I did say plenty more in explanation as to my background which you.....in your suspicious hostility....have largely/entirely ignored.

I did explain why I have not tried to sell the items on a commerce website.........the people on this forum would be the perfect people to inform of this excellent collection!

It is a genuine offer.....if people are not interested, then they will not contact me. If people are not satisfied that I am bona fide, then they will not risk buying the books. Good and simple!

Stop looking for evil.....then you MIGHT be able to see some good - for a change.

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 04:30:37 PM »

We're all grown-ups here and can make our own minds up.  If anybody wants to take Paul up on his offer, please do so by PM.  I've read a few threads and emails at B-T asking where people might find these and/or other books.  Perhaps this is an answer.  The moderators don't know.    

That said, there is some wisdom in using a site like ebay and I hope Paul would not be averse to making this offer under conditions a buyer might find more comfortable, if requested.      

There's no need to pile on or argue.  I think everything that needed to be said in this thread is said already, so I'm locking it.  

« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 06:09:05 PM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

mharrell08

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 07:43:45 PM »

The way I (naively) saw it was that there might be some level of initial trust (apparently not so!) amongst like-minded believers and anybody who might be interested could then make some sort of NO OBLIGATION enquiries - then things MIGHT go from there. Obviously when they are entirely satisfied with proceedings!

No need getting your feathers ruffled Paul. You chose to advertise your product here without any 3rd party assurance, so that will naturally lead to questions of integrity. This is standard dealings in the age of business over the internet.

A membership to this forum cannot be used as a level of trust for your business dealings. I'm sorry but it doesn't work that way.

And a piece of advice: becoming upset when someone questions how you plan on selling your product will make it a tough sell. A seller on the up-and-up will gladly give assurance to any potential buyer, not berate them for not trusting them wholeheartedly.

Marques
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 23 queries.