bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Death of Raymond Franz  (Read 5000 times)

Samson

Death of Raymond Franz
« on: June 29, 2010, 12:31:44 AM »

Hello Forum,

I thought it would be respectfull to mention that Former Governing Body Member, EX-Jehovahs Witness Raymond Victor Franz passed away on June 2, 2010, He was 88 years old. Ray was very instrumental in helping many EX-JWS in learning the Truth about errors of the Watchtower Organization, doing so in a respectful and dignified way. He certainly helped me to put the Watchtower Doctrine beyond and convinced me not to look to the Churches of Christendom or embrace them after my exiting Jehovah's Witnesses. Both of His Books, Crisis of Conscience and In Search of Christian Freedom helped many to logically see that The Watchtower Organization couldn't been God's exclusive channell and they were just another Denomination teaching a combination of error and truth. Ray Franz was probably part of the CAUSE that God provided for me to eventually embrace Universal Salvation and leading me to Bible-Truths.com, although in an indirect way. I don't know what kind of impact He had on other Forum members who are Former JW'S. There are a few former JW'S on this Site and I'm sure some guests that regularly visit this Site. When Ray Franz came to grips to what He knew for sure was clearcut error from His fellow Governing Body members and His deploring of the ill treatment of the Flock, He had the guts to stand up for what was Morally right, showing empathy for others. One of His statements that I remember fondly that hit my heart was the following: " WHY DO WE TRY AND PLAY GOD, WE DO SO POORLY AT IT." This was in response to His fellow members making some unreasonable rule for the Rank and File members in a legalistic manner with the threat of expulsion.

Below I copied and pasted alittle bit about Him from Wikepedia, Read Below.

Raymond Franz
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Raymond Victor Franz

Ray Franz, early 1980s
Born    May 8, 1922(1922-05-08)
Died    June 2, 2010

Part of a series on
Jehovah's Witnesses

Overview
Organizational structure
Governing Body
Faithful and Discreet Slave
Watch Tower Bible
and Tract Society
Corporations
History
Bible Student movement
Splinter groups
Demographics
By country
Beliefs and practices
Doctrines
God's name · Eschatology
Blood · Disfellowshipping
144,000 "anointed"
Literature
The Watchtower · Awake!
New World Translation
List of publications
People
Watch Tower presidents
W.H. Conley · C.T. Russell
J.F. Rutherford · N.H. Knorr
F.W. Franz · M.G. Henschel
D.A. Adams
Formative influences
William Miller · N.H. Barbour
George Storrs
Notable former members
Raymond Franz · Olin Moyle
Criticism of
Jehovah's Witnesses
v • d • e

Raymond Victor Franz (May 8, 1922–June 2, 2010) was a member of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses from 20 October 1971 until 22 May 1980,[1][2] and served at the organization's world headquarters for fifteen years, from 1965 until 1980. Franz claimed the request for his resignation and his subsequent disfellowshipping resulted from allegations of his apostasy from the faith.[3] Franz wrote two books that related his personal experiences with the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society and his views on Jehovah's Witnesses teachings.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 Watch Tower career
    * 2 Expulsion
    * 3 Death
    * 4 References
    * 5 Bibliography
    * 6 External links

[edit] Watch Tower career

Franz was born in 1922. His uncle, Frederick Franz, was influential in the religion's development, practices and doctrines.[4] His father was baptized in 1913 as a Bible Student (as Jehovah's Witnesses were known prior to 1931). Franz joined the Jehovah's Witnesses in 1938, and became a baptized member in 1939.[5]

In 1944 Franz graduated from Gilead, the religion's school for training missionaries,[6] and temporarily served the organization as a traveling representative in the continental U.S. until receiving a missionary assignment to Puerto Rico in 1946. Franz became a representative of Jehovah's Witnesses throughout the Caribbean, traveling to the Virgin Islands and the Dominican Republic, at least until 1957 when Jehovah's Witnesses were banned in the Dominican Republic by dictator Rafael Trujillo.[7] At the age of 37 Franz married his wife, Cynthia, who joined him on missionary work. Both returned to the Dominican Republic in 1961 to evangelize for four more years before taking up work at Watch Tower headquarters in Brooklyn, New York.[8]

Franz began working in the organization's writing department and was assigned to collaboratively write Aid to Bible Understanding, the first religious encyclopaedia published by Jehovah's Witnesses. On 20 October 1971 he was appointed as a member of the Governing Body.[9] In his personal memoir Franz said that at the end of 1979 he reached a personal crossroad:[10]
“    I had spent nearly forty years as a full time representative, serving at every level of the organizational structure. The last fifteen years I had spent at the international headquarters, and the final nine of those as a member of the worldwide Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. It was those final years that were the crucial period for me. Illusions there met up with reality. I have since come to appreciate the rightness of a quotation I recently read, one made by a statesman, now dead, who said: 'The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth—persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.' I now began to realize how large a measure of what I had based my entire adult life course on was just that, a myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.    ”

Frustrated by what he viewed as the Governing Body's dogmatism and overemphasis on traditional views rather than reliance on the Bible in reaching doctrinal decisions, Franz and his wife decided in late 1979 they would leave the international headquarters.[11]
[edit] Expulsion

In March 1980 Franz and his wife took leave of absence from the world headquarters for health reasons and moved to Alabama, where he took up laboring work on a property owned by another Witness. The following month a committee of the Governing Body raised concerns over the spreading of "wrong teachings" emanating from headquarters staff and began questioning headquarters staff on their beliefs. Staff were also questioned about comments Franz had made that may have contradicted Watch Tower doctrine.[12][13] On 8 May 1980 Franz was told that he had been implicated as an apostate.[14] He was called back to Brooklyn on 20 May for two days of questioning[15] by the Chairman's Committee. Franz claimed the discussion concerned allegations that some Witnesses were meeting privately to discuss various teachings of the Watch Tower Society that may have constituted apostasy.

On 21 May 1980 Franz was called to a Governing Body session, questioned for three hours about his Bible viewpoints and commitment to Watch Tower doctrines[2][16] and agreed to a request to resign from the Governing Body and headquarters staff. Franz refused the Watch Tower Society's offer of a monthly stipend as a member of the "Infirm Special Pioneers".[17] The Governing Body investigation resulted in the disfellowshipping of several other headquarters staff.[18][19][20]

On 1 September 1980 the Governing Body distributed a letter to all Circuit and District overseers stating that apostates need not be promoting doctrines to be disfellowshipped. The letter stated that individuals who persisted in "believing other doctrine despite scriptural reproof" were also apostatizing and therefore warranted "appropriate judicial action".[15][21]

On 18 March 1981 Franz's employer in Alabama submitted a letter of disassociation from Jehovah's Witnesses. A Watchtower article on 15 September 1981 announced a change of policy on disassociation, directing that those who formally withdrew from the religion were to be treated by Witnesses as a disfellowshipped wrongdoer[22] and Franz, who continued to socialize and eat with his employer, was summoned to a judicial hearing on 25 November and disfellowshipped for disobeying the edict.[2][23][24]

Franz subsequently wrote two books—Crisis of Conscience (1983) and In Search of Christian Freedom (1991)—presenting detailed accounts of his experiences as a Jehovah's Witness, a Governing Body member, and his experiences throughout various levels of the organization.
[edit] Death

On 30 May 2010, at age 88, Franz suffered a stroke. On 2 June his wife Cynthia had doctors remove life support, and Franz died not long after.[25]

I'm considering writing His surviving Wife Cynthia a letter expressing my sorrow and some remarks mentioning this Site and the Hope for Mankind that we share together.

Kind Regards, Samson.

Ellie

Re: Death of Raymond Franz
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 03:25:31 AM »

Sampson, Appreciate the interesting information and your situation in regards to this man who began to open the gates to further freedom for you.It is a study in itself to know how to answer the Jehovah Witness people. I wish many years ago that I had had the information.I studied their work for a time and had a relation of mine hounding me at every turn to become one.I reached a point where without knowing all the facts, I just knew the hard, dogmatic views were false, and disconnected totally..I acknowledge the appreciation you have for this man.....
                                    Peace to you and yours.....Ellie.....

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 09:27:47 AM »

'The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth—persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.' I now began to realize how large a measure of what I had based my entire adult life course on was just that, a myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.    ”

Hello Samson

If you are high up in any Church and then “come out” as did Paul of Tarsus came out of the Synagogue of Satan, and as BT members here,  have come out from many Harlot Daughters of Babylon, then you are shunned, hated, falsely accused, disassociated and rejected by Babylon itself. In the process we can lose friends and family also. It just shows how important our beliefs are. What we believe shapes our lives, associations and our circumstances.

It is so amazing that the hate of Babylon no matter from what quarter, Catholic, Baptist, Mormon, JW, etc. etc, can be so cruel, mean, pitiless, brutal, malicious, spiteful, vindictive, heartless, ruthless and vindictive. It is quite an eye opener to leave Babylon!

I think dear Raymond Franz understood this consequence of leaving unscriptural false  “persistent, persuasive and unrealistic myths”. God appointed his departure and God made Raymond Franz  became a ray of light in a mound of untruth.

Certainly my condolences and sympathies are to his wife and real family in Christ.

Arcturus

Rene

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 03:00:42 PM »

Hi Samson,

When the Lord started the process of releasing me from the bondage of the JW doctrine, Ray Franz's story of leaving this organization was one of the resources that helped me to start seeing the many flaws of the Watchtower Bible and Track Society.  In this regard, Mr. Franz was used in the process that ultimately lead me to BT.

I sensed that Mr. Franz was a very honest, open hearted person.  My condolences go out to his wife.

Rene'

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 07:10:20 PM »

Thank you Brad,

That was a very helpful article, especially for those of us who
had difficulty separating ourselves from our past.
I have been fortunate to have a wife who has not hindered me
in my journey, even when she could see something false in
the leadership around us.
I appreciate Mr. Franz' sharing of his journey and just wish
that someone from other parts of "christendom" would publish
their story.

Bob

Samson

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 10:13:20 PM »

Thankyou Deborah, Ellie, Rene & Bob.

Thankyou all for your comments ! Arc, your quotation from Ray Franz regarding the myth & deception hit the nail on the head plus your very adept at paying attention to and finding the important details, that's certainly one of your gifts. Rene, it seems you experienced some of the process that I went through in the journey to finding the real Truth.

Kind Regards, Samson.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 23 queries.