bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: hello!  (Read 8618 times)

karenmarie

hello!
« on: July 04, 2010, 09:13:56 PM »

just wanted to introduce myself after lurking for awhile. I am 50-something, "saved" "officially" in my early 20s, but before then always drawn to God - I had a hard time accepting the fact that I needed to pray a certain prayer for salvation and that this would be the moment I crossed over from death to life eternal (as presented to me in Southern Baptist and Bible church groups). I guess I felt that my salvation was really a journey from childhood on, as I learned more and more about the Father and Jesus, but I ended up going along with the group, accepting the dogma, getting baptized again (sprinkling as an infant didn't "count", I had to be immersed properly) and trying hard to be a true Christian. I always felt rebellious deep down, though, didn't like the emphasis put on evangelizing and telling people about God's love and God's damnation for those who chose to reject His love. I felt schizophrenic, actually, trying hard to understand the doctrines presented to me and that I was supposed to go out and preach. Then I met Calvinists who introduced me to predestination, rather than the freewill views of the Southern Baptists. They made some intellectual sense out of bible verses, but I still couldn't wrap my brain around eternal torture for those not elected. So I'd go back to free will philosophy, but then I'd feel so anxious and worried about my kids, my relatives, my friends - I had to do whatever I could to bring about their salvation! Manipulation tactics, ugh. I feel badly about how I convinced my children to become saved, pray the prayer of salvation, get baptized, etc. I feel like I did a lot of damage.

Going through some major life earthquakes (divorce), I started questioning EVERYTHING I had learned in the church. I explored Catholicism, universalism, orthodoxy, new age...

I found some believers who rejected hell and damnation, but they did it by picking and choosing bible verses to throw out. I felt that if I went down that path, I'd never have anything to hold onto. It came to rejecting God and the bible, or finally, just deciding to accept God's love for now and trust Him to show me truth. Just a waiting on Him.

Long story which I'll leave out details, about my journey of the past five years - remarriage, interesting people and books that God has brought into my path, which led to internet searches, which led to Bible-truths.

The bible makes sense now. It's incredible. I feel like sanity has returned, I don't have to twist my reasoning to understand God and his love.

I read somewhere else on this forum about someone needing to fly under the radar. I sense that too. I've tried to bring up some of what I've learned here to other Christian friends and relatives. Some are really glad to hear it, others get instantly angry with me and really get red-faced! "Sounds like purgatory that you're preaching!", etc.

So I've decided to keep studying Ray's writings and what people discuss here and then, again, wait on God for those He leads to me with questions. I have sent links to two of my kids, but both have declined looking for now - one is saying he is an atheist (I know he is going through the same questions I did, but being more honest about rejecting the dogma he grew up with, the other is a Christian and church go-er, and I hope will someday read the articles on the site if she ever does start to question her church's teachings). Third child is ambivalent about God, and I am waiting until she asks, hoping she will see a change in me from the old mom who taught Religion and who now just is Amazed at God's love and goodness, grace, and mercy, and complete control in all things. So few words to express how Great He Is.

I wanted to add this: every time in my personal bible study recently, when I come across a passage I don't understand, I come to the forum and find that a recent discussion or a link to something easily found and prominently displayed, is right there, related to my particular question! Like God is leading me to answers through this forum and the website. How cool is that!

Karen

aqrinc

Re: hello!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 09:33:14 PM »

Hi Karen,

Welcome to the light side (Forum), glad you found the info you needed, truth is so much stranger than fiction. Only God could put the Scriptures together and them make them speak to each individual at precise times.

george :).

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 10:02:16 PM »

It's very cool indeed, and has happened to me on countless occasions as well.  I relate very much with what you've shared.  It's good to have you, and I pray we'll all be of mutual blessing.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Kat

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 11:56:56 PM »

Hi Karen,

I'm glad you have joined us  :)
I can relate to many of the feeling you had while in the church. It was hard reading what was in the Scriptures and trying to get to the truth and not being able to find any understanding from the doctrines of the church. But we all needed that journey through the darkness of the church to serve as a backdrop, so that when we finally come to the truth it will appear as bright and wonderful as it really is. I hope you will join in the discussions we all are learning together and the different perspectives really help in the discussions. Here are some links to what we have here at the forum that might help you get around.

The forum rules will help you see how this forum is moderated.
http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3.0.html
http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,4558.0.html
http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3614.0.html

Forum Indexes & lots of Info.
http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/board,14.0.html

Ray's Videos
http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,8227.0.html

FAQ (most frequently asked questions)
http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/board,23.0.html

Ray's Audios
http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,2641.0.html

Ray's 2008 Audios
http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,8256.0.html

Transcripts of Ray's Audios
http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/board,12.0.html

Who Am I? (members pics and personal stuff)
http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/board,16.0.html

mercy, peace and love
Kat

jopie

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 02:05:19 AM »

Hi Karen,
Good to read your story, me like so many others here can totally relate.
John 8:32 talks about Jesus telling those who believed in Him, "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples;and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free".
Notice, we will know the truth first and than we begin to experience freedom like we've never known before.

Be encouraged, the family is growing.
Blessings,
John.

indianabob

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 02:06:49 AM »

Hello Karen and welcome,
I have a young daughter, my first born, named Karen Susan, she just turned 48 and lives with her husband in New Jersey. She is not a member, but accepts almost all of what we believe here on the forum. I'm really proud of her attitude and look forward to seeing her in the resurrection when ever that may be.

Love to hear more of your journey with God.

Indiana Bob,
Plymouth, Indiana

cherokee

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 09:05:44 AM »

Hey Karen,

Welcome to the forum.

Blessings,
Suzie

Joel

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 12:47:32 PM »

Welcome Karen,
It's easy for an eagle to rest, and relax on a strong foundational perch. 8)
Joel

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 04:16:04 PM »

Hi Karen

It really is a privilage to be set free from the bondage of dark errors and death grip addictions practised in Christiandom

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Arc

markn902

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 04:40:54 PM »

I wanted to add this: every time in my personal bible study recently, when I come across a passage I don't understand, I come to the forum and find that a recent discussion or a link to something easily found and prominently displayed, is right there, related to my particular question! Like God is leading me to answers through this forum and the website. How cool is that!

Karen

Me Too! I Love It  ;D

karenmarie

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 09:35:56 AM »

Thanks for the warm welcome!  :)

Karen

Linny

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 01:00:19 PM »

Welcome to the forum Karen! Thanks for sharing your story.
Isn't it exciting to know that your children are saved no matter where God may have them at the moment?
I am sure that is such a relief to you having come out of the hell doctrine!
Looking forward to getting to know you better.
Lin

mmijares

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 09:09:21 PM »

Hi Karen!

Welcome to forum!  :)

karenmarie

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 09:30:16 PM »

Yes, Linny, I am able to Rest knowing my children are in God's keeping, according to His plan and timetable. All people are, now I know that for sure, and that helps me relax and relate with everyone better.

Great to be here with people of like mind and similar background stories. I am amazed everyday at God's power and love and how He directs our steps.

Karen

judith collier

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 05:01:07 AM »

Hi Karen, I am so happy to be rid of tremendous efforts, fear, guilt, will and confusion. It has to be of God here as He came to give us life more abundantly. Now there is security, grace, an explanation, an acceptance of myself, my understanding of why I am like I am. The knowledge of our vanity, our sin and worthless attempts at saving ourselves have been translated into peace and rest. Judy

Dawidos

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 07:55:52 AM »

Welcome to the Truth :)

God, bless you.

Felix

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 12:41:55 PM »

Hi Karen,
Welcome to the forum. I can relate to "the bible makes sense now". As a baptist it didn't seem right
that if you prayed a certain prayer now all of a sudden your going to heaven instead of going to hell
where you would burn in literal fire forever. Sounds like magic, doesn't it?
Felix

cjwood

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 08:51:45 PM »

The knowledge of our vanity, our sin and worthless attempts at saving ourselves have been translated into peace and rest.

what an awesome statement.  8)
thanks judy, thanks God.
and, welcome to the forum karen. i have done more reading and lurking than posting lately. but, this forum is surely Spirit inspired. 

claudia

HoneyLamb56

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 01:18:27 PM »

:)nice to meet you Karen; as with most I was also doing a spirtual search that brought me to this site; how awesome is God; at times I get down but then I come back and reread posts and studies and once again feel spirtiually uplifted; there are many here who are gifted with knowing how to encourage and can express things so clearly. I keep dropping info to my family and friends about this site and leave it to God.   

Yours in fellowship

santikos

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 06:51:05 PM »

I Understand exactly what you are going through. i am not beginning to see the truth as well. let fight the good fight and not be discouraged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.