bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Birthdays and Holidays  (Read 6220 times)

AwesomeSavior

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Birthdays and Holidays
« on: July 12, 2010, 09:49:33 PM »

I have a question... Is it okay to celebrate birthdays and holidays? I followed another teaching for awhile that said it wasn't right because of what Paul said... "Ye observe days"... Can y'all give me some wisdom on this?

Thanks for your time...

Dean

Samson

Re: Birthdays and Holidays
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 10:12:27 PM »

I have a question... Is it okay to celebrate birthdays and holidays? I followed another teaching for awhile that said it wasn't right because of what Paul said... "Ye observe days"... Can y'all give me some wisdom on this?

Thanks for your time...

Dean

Hello Dean,

This question has been asked many times before over the years since this Site began, so instead of giving only my "Opinion," I copied and pasted a response given by Marques that includes Emails answered by Ray below in Red. Personally, I get involved with some of these Worldly Holidays to a small extent, but I don't get Dogmatic either way towards those who fully embrace them or fully reject them. In everything you do, do all things for God's glory. Read Below from Marques former Post.

Quote from: gallenwalsh on November 19, 2009, 09:21:48 PM
Greetings,......I myself am an old member of wwcg back to 1980.Left around 1987. What are some of Ray's teachings regarding the holidays?  On another note what are the Mobile gatherings all about? What does Ray have to say regarding the old feast of booths and old testament holy days.Any comments would be appreciated.

Hello Gallenwalsh,

Welcome to the forum...here is an email from Ray that touches on holidays.

Email reply from Ray (http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,2759.msg20428.html#msg20428):

Dear Shannon:

Of course everyone says they want the truth and they want it straight until you give it to them. Hopefully, you are different.

Yes, Christimas and all of its accoutrements and paraphania (evergreen tree, orbs, eggs, mistletoe, presents, winter solstice, yule logs, fires, drinking, etc.) are also pagan. But then again virtually all who shun this day with great horror think nothing of having a traditional wedding with the same pagan acoutrements (vale, something old, something new; something borrowed, something blue, rings, rice, honeymoon, bells, wedding cake, etc.).  Then of course at least some of them have their boys in the Boy Scouts with all their pagan accoutrements (left-handed locking little finger hand shake, spirit of scouting, the insignia--fleur-de-lis, etc).  Did I mention that it was the pagans who whore shoes before the Christians.  The Scriptures tell us that we should "Be ye not righteous over much" (Ecc. 7:16). And Paul said: "To the pure all things are pure."  I just don't get all bent out of shape over these things. I personally do not get caught up in the "spirit" of any of these things, but neither do I condemn those who do. These are things that each of us must decide in their own way. However, for what it is worth: Dumping Christmas for Hannukah seems to me like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

God be with you,

Ray

Which Mobile gatherings are you referring to? The bible studies or the bible conference? Both are simply about believers of like-mind, coming together to fellowship in the Truth.

Here are some emails from Ray regarding Holy Days and other physical rituals

Email reply from Ray (http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,732.msg5604.html#msg5604):

Dear Bob: You topic is an interesting one, but however, one entirely too big to answer in any detail in an email--it would take days to answer thoroughly.

Suffice it to say:

1. Jesus did NOT keep the Sabbath. He taught in the synagogues on the Sabbath because that is the time that everyone was gathered together, not because Jesus wanted to "keep" the sabbath day. Jesus healed and commanded to carry a bed on the Sabbath which was against the law of Moses. Neither did Jesus' disciples observe the sabbath according to Moses. Jesus did not deny breaking the sabbath in Matt. 12. He showed that His breaking of the sabbath was NOT A SIN. He used David and the Priests to substantiate His claim, plus the much greater reason being that Jesus Himself was Lord of the Sabbath.

2. Jesus did not keep the Annual Holy Days. Jesus did not eat the passover on the eve of Nisan 15, but rather they ate a supper on the eve of Nisan 14. Jesus was crucified late afternoon before the 15th just as the passover lambs were being killed--of ocurse, Jesus WAS  the True Passover Lamb. "THAT sabbath was an HIGH DAY" we are told. The weekly sabbath was also the Passover and first day of Unleavened bread which is always an Holy Sabbath Day.

Jesus didn't keep the Feast of Pentecost or Trumpets, or Atonement--Jesus IS our Atonement.  Jesus said that He and His disciples wouldn't fast during His ministry. Jesus did not keep the Feast of Tabernacles. The made no temporary booths in which to live for seven days. Jesus sent His disciples up to the feast, but He stayed back. He went up later in the feast to TEACH, not to keep the feast. Etc.

3. There is nothing physial that will make you spiritual. The Sabbath has a spiritual fulfillment. It is a rest that we enter into with God. When we have the real thing, we no longer need to be observing the shadow or type of the REAL THING, which is CHIRST.

God be with you,

Ray

Email reply from Ray (http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,1520.msg12862.html#msg12862):

Dear Mildred:

"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a HOLY DAY, or of the new moon, or of the SABBATH days; which are a shadow of things to come, but the body [Gk: 'substance'--the REAL THING] is the Christ [or 'is the Christ's']" (Col. 2:16-17). See also Heb. 8:5-6 & Heb. 10:1.

We are not obligated under the New Covenant to "keep" any holy days.

God be with you,

Ray

Hope this helps,

Marques

Sorry, I didn't change colors to differentiate between Ray and Marques, but I think it's self evident.
                              Kind Regards, Samson.

Cypress

• I <3 jj81
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 10:31:36 PM »

"Yes, Christimas and all of its accoutrements and paraphania (evergreen tree, orbs, eggs, mistletoe, presents, winter solstice, yule logs, fires, drinking, etc.) are also pagan. But then again virtually all who shun this day with great horror think nothing of having a traditional wedding with the same pagan acoutrements (vale, something old, something new; something borrowed, something blue, rings, rice, honeymoon, bells, wedding cake, etc.).  Then of course at least some of them have their boys in the Boy Scouts with all their pagan accoutrements (left-handed locking little finger hand shake, spirit of scouting, the insignia--fleur-de-lis, etc).  Did I mention that it was the pagans who whore shoes before the Christians.  The Scriptures tell us that we should "Be ye not righteous over much" (Ecc. 7:16). And Paul said: "To the pure all things are pure."  I just don't get all bent out of shape over these things. I personally do not get caught up in the "spirit" of any of these things, but neither do I condemn those who do. These are things that each of us must decide in their own way. However, for what it is worth: Dumping Christmas for Hannukah seems to me like jumping from the frying pan into the fire."

Hah, that's so true!  :o

Elaine

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 11:13:42 PM »

Gal 4:1  Now I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all;
Gal 4:2  But is under tutors and governors until the time appointed of the father.
Gal 4:3  Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world:
Gal 4:4  But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,
Gal 4:5  To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.
Gal 4:6  And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.
Gal 4:7  Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
Gal 4:8  Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods.
Gal 4:9  But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?
Gal 4:10  Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.
Gal 4:11  I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

I would say I wonder how scripture declaring the redemption from bondage Christ brought could be used to place people again under bondage.  But I don't really 'wonder' at all.   :)  I don't desire again to be in bondage.  That's just me, though.

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Linny

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 02:26:29 PM »

Hi Dean,
I think we members run the gamut here at BT as far as holidays go.

As for our family, we don't get "into the spirit" of any of them but we do participate in Christmas traditions as we have children who love it as we did. We just handle it differently than most. We don't even fool with Easter at all. We also celebrate our birthdays by appreciating and loving on one another.
We don't do anything out of a sense of needing to or NOT needing to for some religious reason. And if the Lord ever tells us to stop, we will.

Duane

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 08:57:21 PM »

I, wife and family growing up enjoyed EACH holiday to the fullest--ESPECIALLY the religious holidays.  The government, the American Criminal Liberties Union, et. al. are constantly trying to push GOD out of every occasion!  I want to OPENLY HONOR God on every occasion.
To do so, I call our county library EVERY YEAR just to make sure they plan to have the manger scene displayed for Christmas. (for p.c. reasons they have to call it the HUMMEL display so as to not mention Christmas) and I call every major store to make sure they showChristmas displays-
and threaten to not shop at any store that don't show signs of Christmas.  I also make sure each and every cashier KNOWS I prefer Merry Christmas over Season's Greeetings.  NOT BASHFUL!

Kat

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 12:17:57 PM »

Well one of the freedoms I enjoy is not being strapped with holidays and celebrations of this world. I don't want things that keep me anchored to this world, subject to the material. Now I don't judge or resent how anyone would choose to involve themselves in these things. And at those family get-to-gathers that happen at those times I most certainly take the opportunity to enjoy the company of family and friends. But I personally don't feel the need for the glitz and glamor of the decorations and all the trappings of traditions that it entails. To me the cumbersome materialism is distracting and just takes away from enjoying people. So I say live and let live or to each his own.  

mercy, peace and love
Kat

« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 02:15:33 PM by Kat »

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 11:46:26 AM »

Rom 14:5  One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

It is everyone's race.  :)

Arc

aqrinc

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 02:34:20 PM »

Rom 14:5  One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

It is everyone's race.  :)

Arc

Ditto.

george :).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.