bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help with some verses  (Read 5003 times)

galatians22067

Need help with some verses
« on: July 18, 2010, 09:25:47 AM »

Can anyone explain what Paul is saying here ?  I am having a hard time with this verse :

Rom 15:20  Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation:

-Thanks,

Matt
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 09:27:55 AM by titus21115 »

mharrell08

Re: Need help with some verses
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 10:40:24 AM »

Can anyone explain what Paul is saying here ?  I am having a hard time with this verse :

Rom 15:20  Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation:

-Thanks,

Matt

Hello Matt,

The verses before and after this passage help explain:

Rom 15:18-19  For I will not dare to speak of any of those things which Christ hath not wrought by me, to make the Gentiles obedient, by word and deed, Through mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God; so that from Jerusalem, and round about unto Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of Christ.

As Christ told His disciples, His name was to be preached to all nations, Jews & Gentiles [Matt 24:14; Mk 13:10; Lk 24:47]. Paul says he brought this message, by the power of the Spirit of God, from Jerusalem and all the way to Illyricum.

Rom 5:20-21  Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation: But as it is written, To whom he was not spoken of, they shall see: and they that have not heard shall understand.

The 2nd half of this passage is a quote from Isaiah 52:15.

Isa 52:15  So shall he sprinkle many nations; the kings shall shut their mouths at him: for that which had not been told them shall they see; and that which they had not heard shall they consider

Paul says he was not called to preach where Christ was already being or had been preached. But rather, as the fulfillment of this prophecy, to speak to those 'to whom it was NOT spoken of and those that had NOT heard'.

Hope this helps,

Marques

galatians22067

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 01:03:19 PM »

Hey Marques,

Thanks for your reply. The main part of the verse that was throwing me was ...... lest I should build upon another mans foundation.

Do you think he is just speaking about a church that was teaching correctly ?  I mean if Paul came across a group of believers in his journey who were turned aside by heresy this verse isnt claiming he wouldnt go there and set the church in order because it was another mans work that he didnt start ?

-Matt

mharrell08

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 01:43:08 PM »

Hey Marques,

Thanks for your reply. The main part of the verse that was throwing me was ...... lest I should build upon another mans foundation.

Do you think he is just speaking about a church that was teaching correctly ?  I mean if Paul came across a group of believers in his journey who were turned aside by heresy this verse isnt claiming he wouldnt go there and set the church in order because it was another mans work that he didnt start ?

-Matt

It doesn't really say. Paul simply states that he is sent to those who have not heard or understood, so they wouldn't be already teaching and learning correctly.

Remember, this was very early in the ministry. Apostasy means to 'fall away from the truth'. But one must have the truth, first, to fall away from it.

Also Paul didn't speak of or from himself. He says it was by the power of the Spirit of God that inspired him to preach the gospel. And if it was so, then the Lord was leading him to speak to whom he did and possibly not speak, if that was the case. Either scenario, it was God causing the increase as Paul simply planted the seed [1 Cor 3:5-7].

Hope this helps,

Marques

Duane

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »

I fully agree with mharrell08 though (I didn't know the answer-much to my embarrassment) prior
to reading his answer.  My simple way of restating it would be:  "so many people have NOT heard the word preached--why follow Jesus around where He has all ready BEEN,  when there is plenty of NEW furtile ground to plow!

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 11:41:10 AM »

Paul through the work of the Spirit of God, laid the foundation that is Christ.

1Co 3:10  According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
1Co 3:11  For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

The foundation is Christ. The corner stone is also Christ.  :)
Arc
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.