bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pray for me, please  (Read 5189 times)

Aatos

Pray for me, please
« on: July 20, 2010, 12:13:27 PM »

As mentioned in my intro post I am currently seeing a psychologist, and psychiatrist for what could be either social anxiety disorder, or schizoid personality disorder (or both possibly)  I need some sort of prayer, because the job I have now may be ending soon, so I need to find another one.  This is difficult, because I have little desire to work with the public, and would rather work the over night shift somewhere.

and can anyone tell me the stance on using medicine according to the Bible?  I keep hearing that sorcery and pharmacy are the same thing, and since sorcery is evil, so is pharmacy.  Great thing is, I'm on three types of meds.

I also need some prayers concerning my mother.  It's gotten to the point where I fear sharing anything concerning my faith to her, because she starts yelling at me, and demands that I believe the way she does; then announces it's the truth.  (She also believes in free will.  Can you spot the irony there?)

Thank you.

arion

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
Re: Pray for me, please
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 01:12:23 PM »

Hi again;

There are members here far more seasoned in the truths of the scriptures than I am but from what I know of the scriptures that God isn't against medicines.  I mean even the beloved Luke who penned one of the gospels was a physician.  During my walk in the early days I looked towards all medicines and sickness to be a lack of faith.  I no longer believe that.  When it comes to mental abborations the causes can be manifold.  There may be a chemical imbalance of the system, simple emotional upset which is manifesting in the physical and yes, spiritual oppression as well.  The crux of the matter is to figure out just where the problem lies and we can only do that with Gods help.

Secular psychiatrists/psychologists are very limited as to what they can do for you even though they think they have all the answers.  They can only deal with the physical and the surface.  I mean if someone has a deep seated emotional problem the psychologist will have you to contemplate your navel and think that maybe you hated your mother or father.  Then the psychiatrist will medicate you which may help to hide the symptoms but does nothing about the root of the problem.  In the rare case of an actual imbalance of some sort the medicines 'might' help but as a whole I'm not fond of them as again, for the most part they hide the symptoms I think.

I would be labeled as mentally ill by the psycho profession.  The label they would stick on me would be a schizoid personality disorder as I tend to be very introverted and distant in my relations towards others.  We all have our problems and they can manifest in the physical or spiritual.  Yet now I look at them as simply a cross that we must bear and as one of the challenges in life that God puts in front of us to overcome in his timing.  I no longer look to get out from under my difficulties but rest in the fact that God loves me and I'm still on the potters wheel and it is enough.  I think that once you accept where you are at and where God has you we won't be beating ourselves upside the head so much.  

God brought you here to this forum in His timing.  He has shown you the truth of His word in His timing.  He will cause us to overcome all the trials and tribulations of life in His timing.  On some of these things we may never see deliverance in this lifetime but that too, is o.k.  God has a perfect work He is doing in us and it takes time, pressure and yes the spiritual heat of the Gehenna fires that He has us in.  Just know that you are not alone and that what you are going through is not unique just to you.  Some of us have also been down this road in one way or another.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 01:14:35 PM by Arion »

Linny

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 02:32:31 PM »

Aatos,
I do not have a "spiritual" reason for my lack of trust in medicine. Mine comes from much reading and life experience.
I simply feel that there is a root cause for the physical problems we encounter and that the root must be dealt with, be it physically or spiritually.
I don't think that medicines go to the root but only mask the symptoms and normally come with their own long list of side effects, complications, organ damage and need for yet another medicine or treatment for those.
I certainly wouldn't suggest anyone come off all meds cold turkey but I would suggest to anyone that they do their own research and find out if there are other treatments/therapies/diet changes etc. out there that might actually heal the real root issue.

Blessings, Lin

judith collier

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 04:46:29 AM »

Aatos, I wil pray for you to get a new job. I want to say that I have been praying for a couple of years for either release of a problem or an answer. I had given up and figured it was not in the books. A few days ago I had a conversation with someone and bam, it's on the table again and now a process is being started for the solution. I am amazed how this came about and that God didn't forget my problem but was working on it all the time, in His time.
Don't worry about the medicine, if you think you need it, take it. I do. Sometimes the problem is hereditary. Sometimes it comes from the unconscious where memories are forgotten or suppressed. Other times it can come from abuse of some sort. God works on these areas too.
Be kind to your mother and don't talk to her about your beliefs as she has had hers for many more years than you have had yours and they are embedded strongly, only God can open our eyes to His truth. It is not easy to change nor is it always neccessary. God apparently knows you are seeking and open to it and desire more. love, judy

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 06:41:25 AM »

This isn't a revival tent-meeting.  You aren't required to "throw down your crutches" to prove anything.  You are right where God wants you to be today, and you will be tommorrow too.  Take all the time you need to begin to live as God is leading you.  And try to remember that we learn from both bad and good experiences walking like babes.  You're going to be ok.

If alcohol is a drug too, then we have Paul recommending a little hit to Timothy for his frequent ailments.  (1 Timothy 5:23)  Sometimes the disease warrants the cure, and sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.  These are choices you need to make, as Linny said, with facts, wisdom, and experience.

The word 'sorcerer' in the English KJV NT is translated from two completely different Greek words.  That's not good translation practice.  One is the word 'magos' from which we get the word 'magic'.  The other is 'pharmakos' from which we get our word 'pharmacy' and related.  The scripture you are likely referring to, where 'sorcerer' is translated from 'pharmakos' is:

Rev 22:14,15  Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.  For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

I don't want to 'teach' but if a 'sorcerer' here is a person dispensing helpful medicines, which one of those things would not belong?   :)  It would make more sense if a 'sorcerer' was a 'pusher' or 'dealer'.  

Looking at Magos, we have both:

Act 13:6-8  And when they had gone through the isle unto Paphos, they found a certain sorcerer, a false prophet, a Jew, whose name was Barjesus:  Which was with the deputy of the country, Sergius Paulus, a prudent man; who called for Barnabas and Saul, and desired to hear the word of God.  But Elymas the sorcerer (for so is his name by interpretation) withstood them, seeking to turn away the deputy from the faith.

where 'magos' is translated 'sorcerer', and Matthew 2:1, 7, and 16  where 'magos' is translated 'wise men'.

I'd never seen this before trying to look this up for you.  Sounds to me like what you've always heard may be babylonian bs.  I've only been two years believing the gospel, but pretty much all I'd ever heard (and preached) in sermons was erroneous, lies, or insufficient.

Lord, I hope this is of some help and no harm.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 07:12:53 AM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Nan

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 10:37:44 AM »

Aatos, I will pray for your job and mental health.

Samson

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 11:09:54 AM »

As mentioned in my intro post I am currently seeing a psychologist, and psychiatrist for what could be either social anxiety disorder, or schizoid personality disorder (or both possibly)  I need some sort of prayer, because the job I have now may be ending soon, so I need to find another one.  This is difficult, because I have little desire to work with the public, and would rather work the over night shift somewhere.

and can anyone tell me the stance on using medicine according to the Bible?  I keep hearing that sorcery and pharmacy are the same thing, and since sorcery is evil, so is pharmacy.  Great thing is, I'm on three types of meds.

I also need some prayers concerning my mother.  It's gotten to the point where I fear sharing anything concerning my faith to her, because she starts yelling at me, and demands that I believe the way she does; then announces it's the truth.  (She also believes in free will.  Can you spot the irony there?)

Thank you.

Hi Aatos,

Whether or not you decide or require some sort of Pharmaceuticals(Medication) is a personal decision that only you should make. The Greek Word Pharmakei'a is referring to Spiritism, Sorcery, Witch craft as mentioned at Revelation Chapter 18:23 & Galatians. 5:20,21. The use of these Drugs or potions is in connection with Sorcery and not in reference to a Medical Condition like Anxiety Disorder or Bi Polar Disorder or Schizophrenia. My wife works at a State Mental Hospital in New Jersey and has a PRN for Ativan(Anxiety Medication). Personally, I prefer the Supplement Route, but as some people reminded me, in different cases the Drug is just the concentrated Form of the Supplement which comes from a Herbal Root: Valerian Root, St. Johns Wort, Melatonin; etc. Of course it usually takes a high dosage of any particular Supplement to have any Therapeutic value. I remember Dr. Atkins mentioning helping Patients with Schizophrenia using High Doses of B Vitamins, Niacin in particular with great success drastically reducing allot of the Symptoms.

At this Site, we have many such Threads from the past that deal with these Types of Topics: Nutrition, Supplements, Diet, Drugs. So, as the saying goes: " Pick your Poison " (only kidding with you, ;D). Also, what is your motive or purpose for taking Medication. Are you doing so in order to practice Spiritism or Sorcery invoking the Demons. By the question from your Post, the answer is NO. You require assistance for a Medical Condition and with Prayer for God's help, you get to decide. By the way, although Ray takes many Supplements, has a special Diet for the treatment of His cancer, he also takes Morphine for pain, from time to time.

You get to choose, no judgement or condemnation here,  ;).

Sorry for too much Wind(Hot Air), Samson.

Aatos

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 01:20:41 PM »

thanks for your prayers everyone.   I'm glad to see that I won't be (hopefully) burning in the lake of fire, because I took some medicines.   

Joel

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 11:10:25 PM »

Hi Aatos,
I have had several surgeries in my 59 yrs., I once fell while working on a loading dock, in my younger days, and broke the heel on my left foot.
I want to tell you, I was in some more excruciating pain. You couldn't have gotten me to the emergency room fast enough.
We do what we have to for pain and suffering, but as Ray says, His trust is in God for any healing, for all healing comes from him regardless of what doctors may do.
I have prayed many times for healing and what not, and the heavens would feel as brass, and the earth as iron. Then on a few occasions, I have prayed and it would seem like the prayer was directed of the Lord, and the request with out a doubt would be granted.
I believe God works everything out in his time, and all things are working to our good, though we may not think so. I will be praying. :)
Joel
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 11:11:51 PM by Joel »

Aatos

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 12:17:58 AM »

Hi Joel,

Ouch, that sounds painful!  The most painful thing I've ever had happened to me was a gallbladder attack.  The funny part is, it happened 4-5 years ago, the doctors said I would need surgery;  I never got it done, but I haven't had another attack.  I like to believe that God gave me the strength to stop eating overtly greasy foods, and this is what helped.

It's nice to see/learn that God will use even pharmaceutics medicines for His purposes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.