bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anthropomorphism--  (Read 5624 times)

Duane

Anthropomorphism--
« on: July 21, 2010, 02:23:57 AM »

Ya jes hadda LOOK at this din't ya??  This is an important word when reading ay's writings and trying to mesh them with the church beliefs we all
raised in.  For the few who are unfamiliar with this word , it means "mentally putting a tangable image on a spiritual/ immaterial concept".  (It can also mean "giving human qualities/ attributes  to things/animals, ie: Donald Duck).

In reference to tonights inquiry:  I had Heaven all pictured out in my mind in a very PHYSICAL WAY:  ie: physically strolling the "steets of gold",
eating the 12 fruits of "the tree", swimming in the river etc!  THEN ALONG COMES RAY and POOF--all my false visions as well as many other
beliefs--"went out the window"!  But, then, HOW could I have been so  UNQUESTIONINGLY GULLIBLE as to not figure out that my SPIRITUAL
BODY wouldn't tire and need to relax on the hammock on the porch of the "mansion God pomised to prepare for me"?

So, Heaven ISN'T  a PHYSICAL PLACE!  SO, why haven't all the descriptive symbolisms been parced out like the GIANT in Daniel-from head of GOLD to "feet of clay"?  Why does HEAVEN even have a measurement of "four square" or 144 Sq. Miles?  Why not a pastoral message on what the "streets of gold", the solid pearl gates, the multi-layered stone chrystal walls etc. MEAN?  Duh! For my whole lifetime I pictured strolling the gold streets, eating of the 12 fruits of the tree, swimming in the river, laying in the rose garden (I made up) etc.  WHAT'S IT ALL MEAN TO US, NOW? 

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Anthropomorphism--
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 02:59:25 AM »

Just a nudge.  The symbolism in the Revelation is found in other Scripture, particularly in the OT.  Ray spends quite a bit of time with the Lake (pond) of Fire as the primary example.  That doesn't mean the spiritual meaning is always easy to suss out.  It takes more 'repentance' from those doctrines and assumptions you mention than most of us begin with.  The best place to begin, imo, is with the Twelve Truths to Understanding God's Word paper on the front page. 

http://bible-truths.com/twelve.htm
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

aqrinc

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 03:11:23 PM »

When we pay attention to all the words, and understand these are parables too, something starts to shine through (LOVE). Scripture does become Light in our darkened world (our mind). Maybe in one sense, Jesus Christ is saying here, that children's minds are not yet as darkened, it is only when we grow up and start exercising (free will) (an illusion) that the darkness really starts to set in.

Mar 10:14-15 (BBE)  
14  And when Jesus saw it, he was angry, and said to them, Let the little children come to me, and do not keep them away; for of such is the kingdom of God.
15  Truly I say to you, Whoever does not put himself under the kingdom of God like a little child, will not come into it at all.

Love is an easy word to spell, its practice though, is an entirely different matter. But look at how important to everything Love really is, as we move forward one learns just why this is so critical.

Mat 22: 36-40 (CLV)
36 Teacher, what is the great precept in the law?
37 Now He averred to him, "You shall be loving the Lord your God with your whole heart, and with your whole soul, and with you whole comprehension."
38 This is the great and foremost precept.
39 Yet the second is like it: 'You shall be loving your associate as yourself.'
40 On these two precepts is hanging the whole law and the prophets."

Another great Love Parable.

1Jn 3: 14-16 (Rotherham)
14  We, know, that we have passed over out of death into life, because we love the brethren: he that loveth not, abideth in death.
15  Whosoever is hating his brother, is, a murderer; and ye know that, no murderer, hath life age-during, within him abiding.
16  Hereby, have we come to understand love: in that, He, for us, his life laid down; and, we, ought, for the brethren, our lives to lay down.

george :).

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 03:12:42 PM by aqr »

Duane

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 12:02:01 AM »

The fact is, that I HAVE read the "Lake of Fire" series and most everything else on the web-page!
I can't seem to read enuff, fast enuff!  I am like the Psalms "the deer panting for the water brook'!
With ALL THE ARTICLES AND POSTS, I have to force myself to watch my favorite tv. shows so my wife can have some time on the computer!
I still wonder why some Bible scholar hasn't tried to parse all the symbolism of heavenly "things"
to specifics other than "love".  They sure  try to explain explain all the body parts of the giant in Daniel down to "nations" etc.

Aatos

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 02:35:58 AM »

About the whole aspect of the city being 12,000 furlongs at all 3 spacial directions.  Once again we have the number 12. 

12And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:

13On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates.

14And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

15And he that talked with me had a golden reed to measure the city, and the gates thereof, and the wall thereof.

16And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal.

17And he measured the wall thereof, an hundred and forty and four cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of the angel.

the number 12 is mentioned 6 times (8 if you count vs 16 as mentioning it thrice.)   What this means spiritually I have no idea.

Duane

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 10:05:03 PM »

Aatos...thank you for your insight.  It answered my question more directly than others, when putting meaning to symbolisms of heaven.  All the other things I will keep an "eye out for" as I read the Bible.

Marky Mark

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 11:39:42 AM »

About the whole aspect of the city being 12,000 furlongs at all 3 spacial directions.  Once again we have the number 12. 

12And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:

13On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates.

14And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

15And he that talked with me had a golden reed to measure the city, and the gates thereof, and the wall thereof.

16And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal.

17And he measured the wall thereof, an hundred and forty and four cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of the angel.

the number 12 is mentioned 6 times (8 if you count vs 16 as mentioning it thrice.)   What this means spiritually I have no idea.

From my understanding, the significance of the number twelve has to do with the symbolic reference to Gods perfect government, which is His church. Throughout Scripture twelve represents a completion of Gods work.

Hope this helps some.

Peace...Mark 

Cypress

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • I <3 jj81
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 09:52:55 PM »

Haven't heard this word since I was in college  ;).
Elaine
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.