bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting things in Scripture  (Read 5894 times)

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
Interesting things in Scripture
« on: July 21, 2010, 10:25:52 PM »

While reading scripture I back tracked to Genesis chapter 27 and noticed it was about Jacob and Esau.
So I took a quick break from my other topic of study to re-read this story. Well what I realized and really never noticed was how "shifty" (is that the right word?) or deceptive Rebekah was to Isaac.
I couldn't believe the plan she schemed just because she favored Jacob more.

I remember not to long ago doing a study with a friend of mine about all the virtuous women of the bible and how we should  mimic or copy their behavior. I do remember Rebekah being one of those women!

Well my point is that its funny how the majority of biblical characters had great flaws of character but never seem to be mentioned in a Sunday school setting.
This situation and others should point towards Christ as our example of who to mimic in behavior.

Can you all find other interesting things in scripture that you didn't quite notice before?
I would love to read them!! ;)

Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

Samson

Re: Interesting things in Scripture
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 01:17:15 PM »

While reading scripture I back tracked to Genesis chapter 27 and noticed it was about Jacob and Esau.
So I took a quick break from my other topic of study to re-read this story. Well what I realized and really never noticed was how "shifty" (is that the right word?) or deceptive Rebekah was to Isaac.
I couldn't believe the plan she schemed just because she favored Jacob more.

I remember not to long ago doing a study with a friend of mine about all the virtuous women of the bible and how we should  mimic or copy their behavior. I do remember Rebekah being one of those women!

Well my point is that its funny how the majority of biblical characters had great flaws of character but never seem to be mentioned in a Sunday school setting.
This situation and others should point towards Christ as our example of who to mimic in behavior.

Can you all find other interesting things in scripture that you didn't quite notice before?
I would love to read them!! ;)

Antaiwan

Hey Antaiwan,

This is a good Thread, you come up with some very good ones, but I have to work two twelve hour shifts this Weekend and need adequate time to reflect and this will cause me to read my Bible, something that's been lacking lately, Summers are bad for me, time-wise. One quick example of something in Scripture that I learned from this Site, but I didn't really fully examine it until a few weeks ago and that's regarding Jesus physical appearance described at Isaiah chapter 53. My NKJ Version has "sicknesses" in the footnotes and says it's what the Hebrew means literally, also " No Beauty(literally-appearance) that we should desire Him." Isaiah. 53:1-5. Somebody I had a conversation about this with agreed that Jesus didn't have Movie Star looks, but was an ordinary Jew, but they didn't agree that He was unattractive to the eye. They stated that no one would have listened to Him if He was ugly. I responded by stating that the majority of people didn't listen to Him. They primarily wanted a freebie: free food, cured of blindness, deafness, Demons, illness; etc.

Antaiwan, I'll get back to you next week with hopefully more examples of passages that I didn't notice before, but I'll have to do some Bible reading;  ;).

Kind Regards, Samson.

Patrick

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 09:59:45 PM »

While rereading LOF 15-C, Colossians 1:15-16 brought back some thoughts from the Nashville 07' Conference. I was actually doing some studying on "Christ being at every crime scene", but I got side tracked with this other thought.
“For by Him [Jesus] were ALL things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible [unseen powers], whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers; all things were created by Him, and for Him. And He is before all things and by Him all things consist [‘has its cohesion,’ ]” (Col. 1:16-17).
Cohesion; the act or state of sticking together tightly.
By Him (Jesus) all things stick together tightly (All that has been, and is, and will be, has been planned and choreographed down to the movement of the last atom, by the Designer and Operator of the Universe, without Whom everything would fall apart in oblivion: L. Ray Smith).
Everything involved in our life, from the chair I'm sitting in, the keyboard I using, the metal my car is made of, the tires contacting the road, the asphalt, down to the core of the Earth [and so much more], has it's cohesion by Christ. Without Him, it would ALL fall apart!
I think that's interesting and awesome!

Akira329

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 06:40:29 PM »

Hey Samson,
I remember the first time understanding that passage of scripture. It was at the 2007 Nashville conference, the first conference I attended.
Many us cried when Ray talked about this portion. That was a great conference! I think it was audio 7A or 7B that he got to that topic.

Hey Patrick,
That indeed is truly awesome to think about!!

Thanks guys for sharing!

Antaiwan
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

mmijares

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 01:53:09 AM »

Have you read the book of Esther?

When I was a young boy, we were taught how beautiful, courageous, and patriot this queen was.  But never was her bloodthirstiness.

When I found out what this queen had done... and if it was really a history... indeed this might be one of the stories where Christ alluded to when He said that in the Old, the Hebrew people were told to love their neighbors and hate their enemies.

Duane

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 03:07:41 AM »

I still marvel at the Bible character that worked for 7 years to marry one woman and on the wedding night the parent(s) slipped the sister (leah)
in his wedding tent and he didn't know the difference until morning!  Did he NOT talk to her and recognize her voice was different?  Touch her and not notice different hands or height?  NOTHING??
Then he worked 7 MORE years and got "the girl of his dreams"!  MEANWHILE. I wonder HOW he treated the "surprise wife" BEFORE AND AFTER?  WHAT did he say to his new inlaws AFTER waking up and finding that "his love" WASN'T "his love"?  (I would have ASKED, point blank,  if there was any "trade in value" before I worked and WAITED another 7 years!!

Rwill

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 01:08:35 PM »

LoL This too Must be a Parable......

Akira329

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 02:04:41 AM »

I still marvel at the Bible character that worked for 7 years to marry one woman and on the wedding night the parent(s) slipped the sister (leah)
in his wedding tent and he didn't know the difference until morning!  Did he NOT talk to her and recognize her voice was different?  Touch her and not notice different hands or height?  NOTHING??
Then he worked 7 MORE years and got "the girl of his dreams"!  MEANWHILE. I wonder HOW he treated the "surprise wife" BEFORE AND AFTER?  WHAT did he say to his new inlaws AFTER waking up and finding that "his love" WASN'T "his love"?  (I would have ASKED, point blank,  if there was any "trade in value" before I worked and WAITED another 7 years!!

Hey Duane
Your referring to Jacob!
Great story too!

Antaiwan
-Albert Einstein
- Jesus
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.