bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Still trying to wrap my head around thisg  (Read 6033 times)

Aatos

Still trying to wrap my head around thisg
« on: July 22, 2010, 02:42:59 AM »

For the longest time I've stopped believing that Heaven is some place where we walk on streets of gold, where we get to play with lions, and tigers, and bears (oh my!),  live in huge mansions all by ourselves, simply because it sounded stupid.  However, I'm not fond of the other extreme opposite to this, and I'm going to see if I can explain it.

In death we know nothing.  According to this view of Heaven, it will be like we're dead, but we will know happiness.  This prospect actually scares me.   So I need to ask, when we're resurrected will we regain our senses (site, sound, smell, taste, touch) or will we just be like drops in an ethereal ocean, feeling blessed, but also being nothing?

And thanks in advanced for answering this. 

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Still trying to wrap my head around thisg
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 03:18:27 AM »

This is VERY simplistic, but I believe it's true from my understanding here. 

What follows resurrection is work.  We only have scripture (and it is both symbolic AND spiritual) for what will be happening for a limited number of 'eons'.  We only have the faintest of hints about what follows that.  Remember, there IS no 'eternity' in scripture.  This 'work' will be done on the earth, not in 'heaven'.  Most of humanity will be flesh and blood.     

So I think you can forget about floating around in ignorant bliss in an ethereal anything.  We're being 'created' for sons and daughters, each in their turn.

That's as far as I want to venture.  I'll admit, I spend very little time thinking about post-resurrection.   
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

arion

• Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 09:22:05 AM »

Ray had this to say;

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,2772.0.html

> so... since heaven isn't a place where people who believe in Christ's
> death on the cross where they will all live for eternity together in
> perfect happiness will there be diversity in heaven? will there be
> different persons? will i get to have another life in happiness with
> my friends and family forever?
>
> i don't know, i guess since you destroyed (not in a bad way) my
> belief of what heaven was going to be like I kind of feel a 'buzz-kill'

Dear Reader:
I don't know what you mean by "diversity" in heaven? When you say
"different persons," what are you asking?  Different from what or from
whom?  Yes, of course, everyone will live together as God's children
and God will be our Father.

It is difficult to explain the "spiritual" to physical and carnal-minded
people. God lives in a different "realm" from us. If we must use
physical analogies, I suppose we could say that we live in the physical
subject to death; whereas God lives in the spirit and never dies. We
live in a world of wickedness; whereas God lives in a world of
righteousness.  We live in darkness;  whereas God lives in light.
God's elect are making the transition and transformation from evil
to good; from physical to spiritual; for darkness to light.

God tells us absolutely nothing concerning our future spiritual lives
with Him. The Scriptures are silent on this aspect of God's plan. We
must accept on faith that all will be as great as God promises.

God be with you,
Ray

PS   Unless you wish to listen to Jessie Duplantis who says that he
went to heaven and walked and talked with Jesus and God, and now
knows all about heaven and the future life in heavenly mansions.

Kat

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 01:48:17 PM »

Hi Aatos,

We actually have an example of what it will be like after resurrection and that would be Jesus Christ.
We know about the Scripture where Thomas would not even believe Christ was risen without seeing Him for himself. Jesus appeared after His resurrection and showed that He was able to manifest in physical form and He looked real and they could touch Him and feel that He was real.

John 20:24  Now Thomas, called the Twin, one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came.
v. 25  The other disciples therefore said to him, "We have seen the Lord."
    So he said to them, "Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe."
v. 26  And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, "Peace to you!"
v. 27  Then He said to Thomas, "Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing."
v. 28  And Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"
v. 29  Jesus said to him, "Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

Here is Scripture where Jesus also appeared to His disciples and they saw exactly what He was like or at least that He could come in physical form if He desired to. He even ate some food to show that He was really in a natural physical form and not a vision or just spirit.

Luke 24:36  Now as they said these things, Jesus Himself stood in the midst of them, and said to them, "Peace to you."
v. 37  But they were terrified and frightened, and supposed they had seen a spirit.
v. 38  And He said to them, "Why are you troubled? And why do doubts arise in your hearts?
v. 39  Behold My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself. Handle Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have."
v. 40  When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His feet.
v. 41  But while they still did not believe for joy, and marveled, He said to them, "Have you any food here?"
v. 42  So they gave Him a piece of a broiled fish and some honeycomb.
v. 43  And He took it and ate in their presence.

Now we can assume that those in the first resurrection will be able to do as Jesus Christ, because Scripture says that "we shall be like Him."

1John 3:2  Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 03:57:00 PM by Kat »

Aatos

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 01:38:21 AM »

Hey thanks for the answers everyone,  I wish I could formulate a better response to all this, but I feel better (is that wrong?) now.

Akira329

• "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 01:58:21 AM »

Hey thanks for the answers everyone,  I wish I could formulate a better response to all this, but I feel better (is that wrong?) now.

Depends if your question was answered to your liking?

Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

Dawidos

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 09:38:31 AM »

I thinkt this Scripture fits into the discussion

Eye has not seen, nor has ear heard, neither has it entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for them that love him.

1 Corinthians 2:9

:)

Best wishes
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.