bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sarcasm  (Read 5510 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Sarcasm
« on: June 29, 2006, 11:05:11 PM »

Hello,
   I ran across your website by accident, and while reading some of your work I ran across something that you said that caused me distress. I get so frustrated that the gospel gets so tainted with US.
Anyway, it may not seem like anything to you, but I noticed this statement you made... "You might conclude that some of my remarks are a little sarcastic, but then again I think a little sarcasm is good!"
Are you aware of what the word sarcasm means?
Sarcasm:(Mariam-Websters dictionary) to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh;- to cut
1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain

Wow!, so do you really think it is a good thing to tear flesh from, and cut someone, for the purpose of causing pain? I would hope not.  Is'nt the world in need of the Love of God and not more tearing apart? For me, it was the love that brought me to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

Thanks for your time,
CES

Dear CES:

If the Word of God has not torn you flesh apart (your carnal fleshly mind, Rom. 8:7), and caused you GREAT PAIN, then you have profitted nothing from God's word.  God's Word is POWERFUL, AND SHARPER THAN A TWO EDGED SWORD [not a soft feather duster], AND PIERCES, AND CUTS, AND DIVIDES, etc., etc., etc. (Heb. 4:12).  Jesus Christ "UPBRAIDED" the hypocrites. Did you not read all the definitions of THAT word in my paper: "YOU FOOLS! YOU HYPOCRITES! YOU SNAKES!"? I'll post it below for you:

HOW JESUS ‘UPBRAIDED’ THE CITIES

"Then began He [Jesus] to UPBRAID [Greek: oneidizo] the cities wherein most of His mighty works were done, because they repented not" (Matt. 11:20).

"Blessed are ye, when men shall REVILE [Greek: oneidizo] you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you FALSELY, for my sake" (Matt. 5:11).

Notice that Jesus "upbraided" the cities TRUTHFULLY while He said men would "revile" His true followers FALSELY. The same Greek word is used to describe both. No matter how stern or cutting our Lord’s words might have been, they always were truthful. As for any sarcasm and anger that Jesus exhibited, your argument must be with Him and not me.

Clearly, oneidizo is not a pleasant word, but what does it mean when it says that Jesus began to "upbraid" the cities where He taught?

I will consult Strong’s Dictionary of the New Testament to help us define this word, because if I were to define it myself and tell you what it means, no one would believe me. Oneidizo is a powerful word of rebuke and condemnation.

Here is the definition:

Strong’s Greek Dictionary, "#3679, oneidizo, from #3681 [notoriety, that is a taunt (disgrace):--a reproach] to defame, i.e. rail at, chide, taunt:--upbraid, reproach, revile, cast in (one’s) teeth" (page 179)"

And here is what all those words mean:

Notoriety: notorious, ill fame, infamous.

Taunt: reproach, mocking, insulting, contemptuous, scornful, tirade.

Disgrace: loss of honor, shame, disapproval, disfavor, discredit.

Reproach: disapproval, criticism, disappointment, shame, disgrace, blame, rebuke.

Defame: to attack or damage the character or reputation of.

Rail: to express objections or criticism in bitter, harsh, or abusive language.

Chide: scold, correct, improve, reprimand, disapproval, strife, contention.

Let me be quick to add (I can see the emails flowing in by the hundreds…), that not every word used to define the words that define oneidizo are always 100% applicable when a word such as "upbraid" is used to translate that Greek word. So all of you who were getting ready to write me or inform the chat rooms that "Ray Smith says that Jesus was ‘disgraceful,’ used ‘abusive language,’ and went into ‘tirades’ during His ministry," hold off a little and continue reading.

It is possible to condemn the sinful actions and teachings of men without hating the men who commit these things. Jesus loved everyone. Jesus died for everyone. Jesus forgave everyone. Jesus forgave those who crucified Him before He expired and probably thousands of years before most of them will repent in judgment. As I have said many times, except for the grace of God, everyone of us could have been any of the world’s most evil people. We are saved in God’s grace, not by our cleverness in choosing to follow and obey God. Grace CAUSES us to obey God. The carnal mind CAUSES men to disobey God. It is that simple.

And so we expose, exhort, teach, challenge, forgive, and LOVE. That these can take the form of sarcasm, exaggeration, satire, irony, anger, and LOVE, are clearly demonstrated by the examples of our Lord.

Now then, let’s see some examples of "upbraiding" used by our Lord in preaching the Gospel of the Kingdom of God: After the high priest asked Jesus about His disciples and teachings, Jesus said:

Grow up a little and don't be so self-righteous and holier-than-thou.

God be with you,

Ray

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.