bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vessels of Honor/Dishonor  (Read 12675 times)

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Vessels of Honor/Dishonor
« on: July 27, 2010, 04:09:33 AM »

From LOF 10.

NOTHING HAS EVER MALFUNCTIONED ACCORDING TO GOD’S PLAN!
If anything in the universe has ever malfunctioned contrary to the intention of the Creator and Designer God, then the flaw is in the Inventor, not the invention! GOD IS THE POTTER: WE ARE THE CLAY!
"Has not the Potter [God] power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto DISHONOUR?" (Rom. 9:21).
A malfunctioning, carnal-minded, God-hating, immoral, human slob, is of great value to God. Paul was just such a person before God called him out of Babylon the Great. And now, PAUL IS GREAT!

and considering Luke 14:15-24...

What and who are vessels of Honor and what and who are vessels of Dishonor...and WHY?
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

G. Driggs

Re: Vessels of Honor/Dishonor
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 04:23:47 AM »

Interesting you should bring this up Dave, it has been something weighing on my mind lately.

I could be wrong but I think the "vessels of honor" are the many, and the "vessels of dishonor" are the few. As to why God would choose vessels of dishonor......

1Co 1:26  For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
1Co 1:27  But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
1Co 1:28  And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
1Co 1:29  That no flesh should glory in his presence.

Quote from: Dave in Tenn
A malfunctioning, carnal-minded, God-hating, immoral, human slob, is of great value to God.

Thanks Dave I really needed to hear Ray say that again.

I thought I should add a witness, which shows the end result of the vessel of dishonor being chosen by God.

2Ti 2:19  Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.
2Ti 2:20  But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.
2Ti 2:21  If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

G.Driggs
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 07:32:27 AM by G. Driggs »

Kat

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 12:33:19 PM »

Hi Dave,

Rom 9:21  Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?

I was looking in the Scriptures to see what more I could find about this.

John 12:26  If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor.

Here we see that those that serve God, He will honor. Also in 2 Timothy we see if anyone is cleansed (through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit) he will be a vessel of honor.

2Tim 2:20  But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor.
v. 21  Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work.

In Romans it says if you break the law you "dishonor God."

Rom 2:22  You who say, "Do not commit adultery," do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples?
v. 23  You who make your boast in the law, do you dishonor God through breaking the law?
v. 24  For "the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you," as it is written.

Perhaps there is a connection here that those who do not know God, are deceived, disobey and dishonor Him, therefore they are the vessels of dishonor, because they serve the devil. As it says back in 2 Timothy they are "taken captive by him."

2Ti 2:26  and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.

All members of the body of Christ are "honorable," but some have more honored than others.

1Co 12:23  And those members of the body which we think to be less honorable, on these we bestow greater honor; and our unpresentable parts have greater modesty,
v. 24  but our presentable parts have no need. But God composed the body, having given greater honor to that part which lacks it,
v. 25  that there should be no schism in the body, but that the members should have the same care for one another.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 03:39:26 PM by Kat »

Cypress

• I <3 jj81
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 12:54:45 PM »

I love these verse. They say so much and I think they are another set of verses most Christians discard.
Elaine

mharrell08

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 02:46:40 PM »

What and who are vessels of Honor and what and who are vessels of Dishonor...and WHY?

The vessels of honor are the called & chosen. The vessels of dishonor are everyone else.

As Paul notes in Rom 9, God 'makes' the vessels honorable or dishonorable...He is ultimately responsible for their condition. He explains why in the same passage:

Rom 9:21-24  Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor? What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory, even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

The wicked and the righteous are both a testimony of the character of God. He displays His 'much longsuffering' by the vessels of dishonor as His 'riches of glory' are exhibited in the vessels of honor.

These vessels of honor are 'us' as Paul said...not only Jews but Gentiles as well. Believers/Saints/Elect are the vessels of honor.

Hope this helps,

Marques

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 06:50:59 PM »

Hi Dave

You ask five questions in one sentence! 8)

What are the vessels of honour….

Those to whom it is given KNOW :)

Luk 19:42  Saying, If thou hadst known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong to thy peace! but now they are hid from thy eyes.

Who are the vessels of honor…

Mat 13:11  He answered and said to them, Because it is given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

What are the vessels of dishonor..

Luk 8:10  And he said, To you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they may not see, and hearing they may not understand.

Who are the vessels of dishonor….

Luk 6:46  And why call ye me Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

WHY….

Eph 1:6  To the praise of the glory of His grace, wherein HE hath made us accepted in The Beloved.
Eph 1:7  In Whom we have redemption through His Blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His Grace;
Eph 1:8  Wherein HE hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;
Eph 1:9  Having made known unto us the mystery of His Will, according to His good pleasure which He hath purposed in Himself:
Eph 1:10  That in the dispensation of the fulness of times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in Him:
Eph 1:11  In Whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to The Purpose of Him Who Worketh all things after the counsel of His own Will:

How…

Pro 16:9  A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps…

No free will. Those who Know it, are those who Eph 1:6 – 11 :)

Arc

Vangie

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 08:51:57 PM »

Luke 14:15-24 (King James Version)

15And when one of them that sat at meat with him heard these things, he said unto him, Blessed is he that shall eat bread in the kingdom of God.

16Then said he unto him, A certain man made a great supper, and bade many:

17And sent his servant at supper time to say to them that were bidden, Come; for all things are now ready.

18And they all with one consent began to make excuse. The first said unto him, I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it: I pray thee have me excused.

19And another said, I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to prove them: I pray thee have me excused.

20And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.

21So that servant came, and shewed his lord these things. Then the master of the house being angry said to his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind.

22And the servant said, Lord, it is done as thou hast commanded, and yet there is room.

23And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.

24For I say unto you, That none of those men which were bidden shall taste of my supper.

These are interesting scriptures to contemplate from Dave's opening post.

mmijares

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 09:32:01 PM »

I often pray to God, if He is willing, to make my children vessels of honor.  Although I will be more than happy if they will really become chosen elects of God, my prayer means that they become better, responsible, loving (I can enumerate several more adjectives here) citizens in contrast to those worse, irresponsible, unloving people.

"God is going to show how GOOD the good are by contrasting them with how BAD the bad are. And God has this right, since He is the Potter, and we are merely the clay." - Ray

Samples of vessels of honor / dishonor my mind can think/understand are: life-rescuer / murderer; a father who is working so hard so his children can have a descent living and better education / a father who is drunkard, smoker, womanizer who doesn't care whether his children has enough clothes, food to eat, etc.; loving mother / inconsiderate mother; hard-working / sluggard; etc..etc..

claypot

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 09:36:05 PM »

From LOF 10.

NOTHING HAS EVER MALFUNCTIONED ACCORDING TO GOD’S PLAN!
If anything in the universe has ever malfunctioned contrary to the intention of the Creator and Designer God, then the flaw is in the Inventor, not the invention! GOD IS THE POTTER: WE ARE THE CLAY!
"Has not the Potter [God] power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto DISHONOUR?" (Rom. 9:21).
A malfunctioning, carnal-minded, God-hating, immoral, human slob, is of great value to God. Paul was just such a person before God called him out of Babylon the Great. And now, PAUL IS GREAT!

and considering Luke 14:15-24...

Excellent stuff, Dave. Good way to put it. Thanks.

cp

judith collier

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 05:09:01 PM »

I think I just read what makes this forum great. 1COR, 12, vs 23, 24, 25
Those here who have been part of the body of Christ for quite awhile and have been educated by His word and received the grace of salvation are very noble vessels of honor but yet, when newbys come along these seasoned vessels bestow much honor and patience on them. Consquently, everyone DOES get treated equally and feels honored. I'm sure it can get tiring at times repeating things over and over and keeping one's patience and esteeming others as better than themselves. So many on this forum are exceptional people.
Thanks, Judy

Joel

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 11:21:51 PM »

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not CHARITY, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 1 Corinthians, 13:1

Joel

G. Driggs

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 08:31:52 AM »

After re-reading my post I realized I contradicted myself, how embarrassing. ??? Sorry my mistake.  :-\

G.Driggs
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.