bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Son of Man  (Read 8495 times)

myms

Son of Man
« on: July 29, 2010, 01:27:42 PM »

I’ve been wondering why Jesus often referred to Himself in the third person as ‘the Son of Man’. I can only think that perhaps he was trying to ‘jog the memories’ of His listeners to passages from the Old Testament that refer to him as ‘the Son of Man’ (Dan 7 13-14 for example). Maybe He was communicating something about Himself – that He was the second Adam (Adam meaning human / man), son of Adam, or that He was about to be killed as a righteous man like the first son of Adam (Abel). Or perhaps I’m missing the point completely!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Myms

mharrell08

Re: Son of Man
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 02:05:27 PM »

I’ve been wondering why Jesus often referred to Himself in the third person as ‘the Son of Man’. I can only think that perhaps he was trying to ‘jog the memories’ of His listeners to passages from the Old Testament that refer to him as ‘the Son of Man’ (Dan 7 13-14 for example). Maybe He was communicating something about Himself – that He was the second Adam (Adam meaning human / man), son of Adam, or that He was about to be killed as a righteous man like the first son of Adam (Abel). Or perhaps I’m missing the point completely!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Myms

Because He had been fashioned into a man [Phil 2:8]. The term 'son of man' is often used when referring to a man [Ps 8:4, Ps. 146:3] or one with an appearance of a man [Dan 7:13, Rev 1:13].

Hope this helps,

Marques

P.S.  Actually, Cain was Adam's first son [Gen 4:1-2]. Also, Paul refers to Christ as the 'last Adam' not the 2nd [1 Cor 15:45].

myms

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 02:57:23 PM »

Points noted! However, I was wondering if it was a Jewish/cultural thing to refer to oneself in the third person? Did others around refer to themselves as a son of man (in the third person), if not, then I assume it must be because Jesus was making a point that His listeners may or may not have understood, which led me to wonder if He was sort of 'quoting back to them' Old Testament references to Himself that they would have been very familiar with.

Just pondering. Happy to drop it!

M

mharrell08

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 03:09:13 PM »

Points noted! However, I was wondering if it was a Jewish/cultural thing to refer to oneself in the third person? Did others around refer to themselves as a son of man (in the third person), if not, then I assume it must be because Jesus was making a point that His listeners may or may not have understood, which led me to wonder if He was sort of 'quoting back to them' Old Testament references to Himself that they would have been very familiar with.

Just pondering. Happy to drop it!

M

I have never read or heard of any culture that refers to themselves in the 3rd person. The Scribes & Pharisees were the utmost keepers of the law and they did not refer to themselves in the 3rd person.

As far as Jesus 'making a point', I don't know how speaking in the 3rd person does that. Though I will say the Lord often speaks of Himself in the 3rd person, particularly throughout the OT, and Christ is the God of the OT. But even then, I don't see how speaking in the 3rd person is some sort of witness that He is the God of the OT.

As far as 'back then', almost every time the term 'son of man' is used in the OT, it is NOT in reference to Christ. In the book of Ezekial alone, the Lord refers to Ezekial by 'son of man' in almost every chapter.

I hope this was relevant to what you are speaking of.

Marques

Marky Mark

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 04:55:17 PM »

Daniel 7:13 -14:
 13 As I continued to watch the vision that night, I saw what looked like a son of man coming with the clouds of heaven, and he was presented to the Eternal God.
Dan 7:14  He was crowned king and given power and glory, so that all people of every nation and race would serve him. He will rule forever, and his kingdom is eternal, never to be destroyed.

From this verse the son of man clearly speaks of Jesus the Christ [The Messiah]. Daniel's vision indicates a man that represents both the Eternal Father and the who and what Jesus is [a humble servant],presented in the form of a man. All things being equal,the Son of man is Jesus in human form and at the same time the Son of the Father. [The heavenly One].

Mar 13:26 And then shall they be seeing the Son of Mankind coming in clouds with much power and glory.

My take on this is that Jesus is both God and human and His use of the saying the "son of man" represents a duality of what Jesus is.

John 1:1  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Joh 1:14  The Word became a human being and lived here with us. We saw his true glory, the glory of the only Son of the Father. From him all the kindness and all the truth of God have come down to us.

1Jn 4:2  The test by which you may recognize the Spirit of God is that every spirit which acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come as man is from God,
1Jn 4:3  and that no spirit is from God which does not acknowledge this about Jesus.

Mar 10:45 For even the Son of Mankind came, not to be served, but to serve, and to give His soul a ransom for many."

Peace...Mark

soberxp

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 07:34:00 AM »

Mar 13:26 And then shall they be seeing the Son of Mankind coming in clouds with much power and glory.

Mar 10:45 For even the Son of Mankind came, not to be served, but to serve, and to give His soul a ransom for many."

Peace...Mark

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,10924.0.html
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 07:47:47 AM by soberxp »

Nan

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »

Why did Paul refer to Jesus as the last Adam? there are plenty of men born after His crucifixion. There's a lot more here than my puny brain can understand.

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 11:47:17 AM »

There is a first man, Adam. We know who he is.

There is a second man from heaven.

1Co 15:47  The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.

So the second man, is The Lord from heaven.

Joh 3:13  And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

Eph 4:10  He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.

The Last Adam, is not said to be a man, as far as I understand and see the Scriptures.…

Also, God is not a man.

God is not a person. L Ray Smith

God is not even a Spirit. God IS SPIRIT and perhaps this is what is hidden in the reference to the quickening life giving Spirit that is God when we read of the Last Adam? Who can be after God? Non...no one. Likewise, who is before God. Same answer...

Arc
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 11:56:07 AM by Arcturus »

soberxp

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 11:54:09 AM »

Why did Paul refer to Jesus as the last Adam? there are plenty of men born after His crucifixion. There's a lot more here than my puny brain can understand.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,11074.msg95621.html#msg95621

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »

A few more questions.... :)

To be a son of man and son of God may well be a description of us. Are we not  being made by God into His Image beginning with natural Adam, and then the spiritual via Christ who is the second man from heaven, we are being made into the image of God in the Spirit of God who is the quickening spirit Last Adam? Is this not how we are of God and through Christ being made into Gods children and heirs of His Son who is of God, from heaven already begotten, without which we are nothing. ... Right?  

We are being begotten of God through first the natural then the spiritual.

The angels who are also sons of God are not begotten as the Sons and Daughters of God who are of man and are natural first, and then, by and of The Spirit of God,  God conformes us to His Image and Likeness to be His co-heirs with His Son Jesus Christ. Right? Well, thats what I understand at this time based on :

1Co 15:46  Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. .

Arc
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:26:30 PM by Arcturus »

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 12:37:06 PM »

Hi soberxp :)

The thread you offered for reflection was valuable. I got out of it this quote

....what God is creating is SPIRITUAL http://bible-truths.com/lake6.html

That is so important. SPIRITUAL...ahh...God is SPIRIT...SPIRIT is creating us to be SPIRIT-UAL 8)

Blessings

Arc
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:38:21 PM by Arcturus »

soberxp

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 12:56:04 PM »

A few more questions.... :)

To be a son of man and son of God may well be a description of us. Are we not  being made by God into His Image beginning with natural Adam, and then the spiritual via Christ who is the second man from heaven, we are being made into the image of God in the Spirit of God who is the quickening spirit Last Adam? Is this not how we are of God and through Christ being made into Gods children and heirs of His Son who is of God, from heaven already begotten, without which we are nothing. ... Right?  

We are being begotten of God through first the natural then the spiritual.

The angels who are also sons of God are not begotten as the Sons and Daughters of God who are of man and are natural first, and then, by and of The Spirit of God,  God conformes us to His Image and Likeness to be His co-heirs with His Son Jesus Christ. Right? Well, thats what I understand at this time based on :

1Co 15:46  Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. .

Arc

1Co 15:45  And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. 
1Co 15:46  Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. 

no,you get it wrong.   that means god wants to finish his work or make his work perfect,god wants to finish some mistaken ,the mistake from satan.

soberxp

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 07:21:36 AM »

Hi soberxp :)

The thread you offered for reflection was valuable. I got out of it this quote

....what God is creating is SPIRITUAL http://bible-truths.com/lake6.html

That is so important. SPIRITUAL...ahh...God is SPIRIT...SPIRIT is creating us to be SPIRIT-UAL 8)

Blessings

Arc

yeah,sort of that.

god can creat SPIRIT,give man and women life in the world,I'm not sure god could or can give us SPIRITUAL.

I was very inquisitive about this thing,as for the satan,how about satan's SPIRITUAL?we knew satan's spiritual is not right.as for Jesus Christ,1Co 15:45  Thus it is written, "The first man Adam became a living being"; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit.
1Co 15:46  But it is not the spiritual which is first but the physical (first man Adam), and then the spiritual (last Adam - Jesus Christ).

maybe the Q sounds stupid.
how can we get the SPIRIT  from life-giving spirit and the right SPIRITUAL not as satan at the same time When salvation comes ? I am wondering, ...go figure.

Marky Mark

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 12:07:13 PM »

maybe the Q sounds stupid.
how can we get the SPIRIT  from life-giving spirit and the right SPIRITUAL not as satan at the same time When salvation comes ? I am wondering, ...go figure.

soberxp,does this help any about your inquiry?

Luke 3:6  all flesh shall see the salvation of God

Matt 18:11  For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost

2 Pet 3:9  The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Rom 8:38-39  For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

1 Tim 2:3-4  For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Rom 5:18  Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

Eph 2:8-10  For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

.1 Cor 15:22  For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive

Peace...Mark

soberxp

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 06:29:00 AM »

;)really helps,thx,Mark. you did a good work.

blessings

Nan

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 05:17:50 PM »

Thank you, everyone for your replies. I will think on this some more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 17 queries.