bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: emotions and spirit  (Read 7399 times)

gallenwalsh

emotions and spirit
« on: August 02, 2010, 11:29:47 AM »

Any one have any thoughts as to whether spirit and emotions are different or the same ? I have heard the admonition to become spiritually mature and wonder if it is the same as becoming emotionally mature ? I have trouble separating the two.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 11:32:26 AM by gallenwalsh »

Kat

Re: emotions and spirit
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 12:12:17 PM »

Hi Gallenwalsh,

Here is an excerpt that I think may help with this from Ray's letter to Kennedy.

http://bible-truths.com/kennedy2.htm -----------

The words "soul" and "spirit" have become corrupted through theology so that they are now used interchangeably, as if they were synonymous. They are not synonymous. There may be certain similarities between soul and spirit, but similarities do not make them one and the same.

The "soul" is the seat of sensation, consciousness, and feelings, not the body or the spirit. It is the spirit that imparts life to the body and the body then becomes a living soul (Gen. 2:7).

A thorough study of the word "soul" in the Scriptures proves that it is used of consciousness, feelings, and emotions. Hence, "sensation" is a good word to define its usage.
------------------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat

mharrell08

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 12:23:42 PM »

Any one have any thoughts as to whether spirit and emotions are different or the same ? I have heard the admonition to become spiritually mature and wonder if it is the same as becoming emotionally mature ? I have trouble separating the two.

I think I understand what you are saying Gallenwalsh. Kat gives a good excerpt from Ray's paper, but I believe it's not exactly what you are asking. You may want to email Ray for clarification if so.

Kat, what I think Gallenwalsh is referring to are the fruits of the spirit: 'love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control'. These are spiritual qualities but they are also considered emotions. From an opposite view, anger & greed are said to be the 'works of the Devil' [John 8:44]. These are evil in spiritual nature but are considered emotions as well.

Gallenwalsh, are the examples above similar to what you are referring to? If not, maybe you can email Ray while using the quote that Kat gives and ask for clarification.

Hope this helps,

Marques

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 04:04:57 PM »

I have trouble separating the two.

Right. Like EQ  (Emotional Quotient) and IQ (Intellectual Quotient)

Intelligence without Wisdom, puffs up.

Without Love (God is Love) Without God and the Spirit of God, our highest wisdom is foolishness to God as a clanging bell, hollow victory, fools gold.

Arc

Kat

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 04:28:31 PM »

Yes I can see now that excerpt does not really answer Gallenwalsh's question. But you mentioned something that I think does speak about spiritual maturity, the fruits of the spirit. In Luke 8 we have the parable of the sower, which I believe explains something about spiritual maturity. Those that do not continue to grow and the truth gets choked, and so "their fruit does not mature."

Luk 8:14  And as for what fell among the thorns, they are those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by the cares and riches and pleasures of life, and their fruit does not mature.

This chapter (Luke 08) also speaks of growing/maturing in the truth, which would in effect bring forth fruit of the spirit.

Luke 8:8  And other fell into the good ground, and grew, and brought forth fruit a hundredfold.

John 15:5  "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.

v. 15  And as for that in the good soil, they are those who, hearing the word, hold it fast in an honest and good heart, and bring forth fruit with patience.

So I guess you can tell if you a growing towards maturity if you bare fruit; love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Paul goes on in chapter 12 to explain how to manifest these fruits in our lives.

Rom 12:9  Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good.
v. 10  Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another;
v. 11  not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord;
v. 12  rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer;
v. 13  distributing to the needs of the saints, given to hospitality.
v. 14  Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
v. 15  Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.
v. 16  Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion.
v. 17  Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men.
v. 18  If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.
v. 19  Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord.
v. 20  Therefore
       "If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
       If he is thirsty, give him a drink;
       For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head."
v. 21  Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Hope that is more helpful.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 07:33:57 PM by Kat »

mharrell08

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 05:31:25 PM »

Hi Marques,

I do not agree that the fruits of God's Spirit are emotions, although some do have an impact on emotions.  The fruits of the Spirit are traits of character imparted to ones soul.  For example, peace is a quality of mind and heart, but an emotion?  Long-suffering or patience is an attribute of character, but I do not see it as an emotion.  Kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control---how are those emotions?  Are they not character traits that manifest themselves in actions that can be seen rather than just an inward emotion?

Also, anger does have an emotional aspect, but it is much deeper.  There is a righteous anger, but most anger is a deep character trait that comes forth from hate.  Greed as an emotion?  Again, I think it's an evil character trait that manifests as an action rather than an emotion.

Just some thoughts.

John

From Wikipedia page on Emotions: Emotion is a complex psychological and physiological phenomenon involving an individual's state of mind and its interaction between that individual and their environment.

John, I am only trying to understand Gallenwalsh's question, for myself as well as the other members. Depending on what one is reading from, the fruits of the Spirit are thought of as emotions as well as anger, greed, etc. I really don't care if one person or another thinks of these things as emotions or not. Actually living the fruits of the Spirit and abstaining from evil is more important to me, not what one decides to call them.

All these different things: fruits of the Spirit, emotions, works of wickedness, etc. all start in the heart, which is thought to be the seat of our emotions, in our minds. If it takes a person to look at these Godly character traits as emotions in order to fulfill them, good for them. For those who don't, as long as they are doing them, have at it. To each his/her own.

Thanks,

Marques

coryd123

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 09:35:25 PM »

Quick question that kinda correlates with this discussion. I know that the spirit gives life (Gods spirit) but where I need understanding is do we have are OWN spirit or do we just have a soul?

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 09:45:41 PM »

Hey Gallenwalsh,
You can't separate the two!
We have great examples from scripture of spiritual and emotional maturity.
Mar 3:17  And James the son of Zebedee, and John the brother of James; and he surnamed them Boanerges, which is, The sons of thunder:
Why were they named "sons of thunder"?
Because of the great zeal they had! Zealousness is an action that has its origin in the heart. I can't see separating the two.
With their zeal though they were still ignorant of the things of the spirit.

Mar 9:33  And he came to Capernaum: and being in the house he asked them, What was it that ye disputed among yourselves by the way?
Mar 9:34  But they held their peace: for by the way they had disputed among themselves, who should be the greatest.
Mar 9:35  And he sat down, and called the twelve, and saith unto them, If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all.

Mar 9:38  And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.
Mar 9:39  But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.

(Luke 9:49-50 previous verse is the same as above)
Luk 9:51  And it came to pass, when the time was come that he should be received up, he stedfastly set his face to go to Jerusalem,
Luk 9:52  And sent messengers before his face: and they went, and entered into a village of the Samaritans, to make ready for him.
Luk 9:53  And they did not receive him, because his face was as though he would go to Jerusalem.
Luk 9:54  And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?
Luk 9:55  But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.

Rom 10:2  For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
Rom 10:3  For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

These are some I could think of I'm sure there are more.
If you notice later in their ministries especially after conversion, their knowledge and understanding was increased and the eagerness or zeal they expressed earlier was better adjusted for the work at hand.

All this indicates to me spiritual growth and emotional growth.

The scriptures Kat posted including the fruits of the spirit have their origin in the heart.
Any action for that matter is from within:
Mat 15:18  But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
Mat 15:19  For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
Mat 15:20  These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

You cannot do any of these things whether evil or good without expressing some kind of emotion.
To argue you can do one without experiencing the other is futile.
I don't know anyone spiritually mature and emotionally immature, is it possible? Or vice versa?

Hope this helps Gallenwalsh
Antaiwan

btw Coryd123:
Your hijacking the thread, its better if you start a new one with your question.
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

coryd123

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 10:03:13 PM »

Sorry did not mean to try to hijack the thread. Will re-post on different thread.

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 10:18:36 PM »

Sorry did not mean to try to hijack the thread. Will re-post on different thread.

No problem, just letting you know.
It just helps people orient themselves in the thread and not to be confused when someone is inspired to ask a question from reading that same thread.

Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

gallenwalsh

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 11:37:53 PM »

Thank you every one, even though there seemed to be some difference of opinions here it helped very much. Responses definitely give food for thought at the very least.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.