bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Southern sayings...  (Read 8965 times)

Kat

Southern sayings...
« on: August 05, 2010, 09:35:37 PM »

Things we say in the South..........  

~You don't take someone somewhere - you carry them, "I carried Momma over to the doctor yesterday."

~You don't turn off the lights you cut'em on off.

~The electricity bill is called the "light bill"

~All carbonated drinks are a "coke" - might be orange, grape, root beer or Co-cola.

~Southern women know everybody's first name - Honey, Darlin', Shugah.

~A possum is a flat animal that sleeps in the middle of the road.

~If it grows, it'll stick ya. If it crawls, it'll bite cha.

~Onced and Twiced are words.

~It is not a shopping cart, it is a buggy!

~Jaw-P? means "Did yall go to the bathroom?"

~People actually grow and eat okra.

~Fixinto is one word. It means I'm fixing to do that.

~"They'll be here directly" means they are on the way.

~When you say 'over yonder' you means over there.

~There is no such thing as lunch. There is only dinner and then there is supper.

~Iced tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar.

~Backwards and forwards means I know everything about you.

~The word jeet is actually a phrase meaning "Did you eat?"

~You don't have to wear a watch, because it doesn't matter what time it is, you work until you're done or it's too dark to see.

~You dont PUSH buttons, you MASH em.

~No, Jew? is a common response to the question, "Did you bring any beer? "

~You measure distance in minutes.

~You switch from heat to A/C in the same day.

~All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect, animal or tree.

~You know what a DAWG is.

~You carry jumper cables in your car - for your OWN car.

~You only own five spices: salt, pepper, Tonys, Tabasco and ketchup.

~The local papers cover national and international news on one page, but require 6 pages for local high school sports and motor sports, and gossip.

~There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 of them live in the South.

~There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 of them live in the South, plus a couple no one's seen before.

~You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.

~You find 100 degrees Fahrenheit a bit warm.

~You know all four seasons: Almost summer, summer, still summer, and Christmas.

~Going to Wal-Mart is a favorite pastime known as goin to Wally World.

~You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees) as good chicken stew weather.  

~Fried catfish is the other white meat.

~We don't need no dang Driver's Ed. If our mama says we can drive, we can drive, dag-nabbit.

Don't ya wish you were from the south  ;D

« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 09:40:57 PM by Kat »

darren

Re: Southern sayings...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 03:00:37 AM »

Kat, Howsumamandem??

Darren

cjwood

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 03:13:50 AM »

i love the one about what a possum is. i can relate to so many of them. but, coming from south texas (i mean like 1-2 hrs from the mexico border) we have a whole nother set of sayings.  :D

darren, did your southern saying mean "hows your mother and all of them doing"?

claudia

darren

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 04:28:42 AM »

Claudia, Yes. How's your mama and them doing.

Darren

Linny

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 01:10:34 PM »

Yes, Kat, I do say some of those things and have heard them all my life although I grew up in Lexington which is a college town and not quite as accent/saying driven as the surrounding areas of KY.
A quick story. My husband was in NJ doing a baseball camp for my BIL and he told the kids that they could all have a pop when they were finished.
"Pop???, what's that??" You Northerners know that the word used is "soda" up there.  :D
So yes, coke is commonly used for all soft drinks but pop is too.  ;)

gmik

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 02:08:34 PM »

;D ;D

I am from Kentucky and knew most of them.

I was hurt one time tho, when a girlfriend told me (she is from Alabama) that Kentucky was a northern state!!!!

Ninny

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 11:39:15 PM »

I overheard two women talking one day when I hadn't lived in AL too long..My niece and I were listening in to the conversation and we laughed all the way home..I don't know if I can  write it the way they said it.... one lady says to the other.. "did you see those two guys last night?" the other lady, "oh LORD yes! I mean they were in the middle of the street and started yellin' at each other and before I knew it they were on the ground and they fowt and fowt! I thought it was never going to end!!" My niece and I looked at each other and said, "What?"  as the conversation went on I realized what they had actually done was "fought" it was a good old fashioned street fight! hehehe!

Another thing I heard after coming here was "pure" that guy worked so hard he got a pure blister on his hand!

and around these parts a person can work so late they work till "slap dark"!

Oh wow! A girl from Arizona just ain't used to such language!!  :o

Kathy  ;)

Oh yes! I almost forgot..I have lived in Alabama now for 29 years...I can talk to someone on the phone and they ask me if I am from the North!! ha! or they'll say to me.."You're not from around here, are you?" There was a story someone told once of a man who was born in the west and came to Alabama as an infant, he died when he was about 90 years old and the inscription on his tombstone said, "He was almost one of us." hahaha!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 11:45:49 PM by Ninny »

cjwood

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 12:47:36 AM »

my dad always told us to be home by "dark-thirty" when we were outside playing.  :D

and, here in TX there is a bumper sticker which is popular among some of the ford pickup truck crowd: "i wasn't born in TX but i got here as fast as i could".   silliness. :D

claudia

Ninny

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »

Claudia..was your dad in the military.. that's a familiar saying in the military 0-dark-thirty! hehe! That was referring to real early in the morning!  :D
Kathy  ;)

Beloved

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 12:02:42 AM »

~All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect, animal or tree

Kate you have to include juck food on this list.

There is the popular RC and MoonPie Festivel in bellbuckle tn that is served with blue grass, when you are ready you can then go down the road to an enjoy Jack Daniels festivities.

I have never eaten a moon pie but they are all over the place dow here,  the new peanut butter version looks interesting.

Beloved 

darren

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 03:17:26 AM »

whatsup,whereuat,whosdat,wheredeygo, whodunit.
making grocerys- going to the market.
moon pies are great. we even have a moon pie pe-raide. After a night of moonpies you don't want to see another one for a while.
Kat, fixinto- fitinto, I'm fitinto pay the light bill.
Kat, you forgot the holy trinity. Onion,celery and of course bell pepper (gn. pepper) for others.. Can't cook withoutdem.
sorry couldn't resist.

Darren

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 08:05:36 PM »

Ain't nunayall right.  Lord have mercy.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.