bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help With A Scripture  (Read 5033 times)

anniej

Help With A Scripture
« on: August 10, 2010, 10:54:18 PM »

I ran across this Scripture today:

1 Corinthians 9:22 (King James Version)

"To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some."

Any insight would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks,
Annie

mharrell08

Re: Help With A Scripture
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 12:24:13 AM »

I ran across this Scripture today:

1 Corinthians 9:22 (King James Version)

"To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some."

Any insight would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks,
Annie

Hello Annie,

Paul states that he does all these things (becoming all things to all people) for the 'gospel's sake' [1 Cor 9:23]. Paul was commissioned to preach the gospel, which includes to 'convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teachings' [2 Tim 4:2].

Paul taught to follow his example, which included to condescend oneself, to lower one's self. To not try to talk above his audience but in a way that the listeners could relate. To humble oneself and present the gospel in almost layman's terms. It was more important to Paul that one understood his message rather than appear like a great person or speaker.

Rom 12:16  Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.

Jam 5:19-20  Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.

When it is said that 'only God can open one's eyes to the truth', these passages below and others speak of 'how' that is accomplished. Through people like Paul and the other apostles, as well as those today whom God has given the gift of teaching.

Rom 10:13-17  For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

1 Cor 1:21  For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

1 Cor 12:28  God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers...

Here is another example from Paul, being 'all things to all people':

Acts 17:22-23  Then Paul stood in the midst of the Areopagus and said, “Men of Athens, I perceive that in all things you are very religious; for as I was passing through and considering the objects of your worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Therefore, the One whom you worship without knowing, Him I proclaim to you

Here Paul begins speaking to the philosophers in Athens, the Areopagus. Paul knows that they are very religious, even having an altar for any 'unknown god'. Paul immediately uses that thought as a door to introduce the gospel:

v 24-28  God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands. Nor is He worshiped with men’s hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things.

And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, ‘For we are also His offspring.’

Again, Paul goes back and uses their own culture to further the gospel. He points out a saying from their poets about all men being the offspring of a divine deity. Instead of focusing on their false idols & worship, he finds something that can tie into the True, Living God. And something these philosophers can relate to.

Instead of putting them down for their false religion, he condescends to their level to help them understand. He'd rather humble himself to further the gospel.

v29-31  Therefore, since we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, something shaped by art and man’s devising. Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent, because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead.

As it's said, 'how beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace' [Isa 52:7, Rom 10:15]. Paul ends his message with an 'assurance' from God that all men everywhere will repent and turn unto the Lord. Being made all things to all men (including overly religious philosophers in Athens), that he might by all means (using their culture to relate to the true gospel) save some (assurance given to all men).

Hope this helps,

Marques

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 12:26:15 PM »

Hi anniej

Your question reaches into many wonderful levels for thought and consideration. :)

As I understand what Paul meant, becoming all things to all men is not a license to practice hypocrisy :D is one such level that Paul did not express anywhere in his ministry. As Christ was not a hypocrite neither was Paul and neither are we! :)

For me, the key principle that is followed in the Scripture  telling us about Paul being all things to all men is.........

1Co 9:19  For though I am free from all men, yet I have made myself servant to all, that I might gain the more.

What freedom does Paul mean, is answered in Who Paul was aware of serving and pleasing before all men.

Gal 1:10  For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.[/color]

We receive others in Faith and Trust of God who is Working all things in accord to the council of HIS will.

Rom 14:1  Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, not to doubtful disputations.

Receive means to receive, not follow, copy, join, condemn, argue, debate but ACCEPT that it IS God who works ALL things to the council of HIS Will that will be done.

Do not do as they do, neither think as they think but”receive” them, don’t reject, judge, condemn, accuse, accurse or abuse them,  knowing God gives us ALL an experience of evil, deception and error. We know where evil comes from, in our own weak human condition and heart. :(

1Co 4:5  Therefore form no premature judgements, but wait until the Lord returns. He will both bring to light the secrets of darkness and will openly disclose the motives that have been in people's hearts; and then the praise which each man deserves will come to him FROM GOD.

Paul knew what and Who he was talking about. :)

Arc
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:41:51 PM by Arcturus »

anniej

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 01:58:05 PM »

Thanks to you both for helping me with this.  I appreciate your counsel and insight greatly.

One last question?  So when Paul says, "I might by all means save some," is the "some" he is speaking about "the few" who will be in the first ressurection?

Annie 

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 05:57:36 PM »

To answer your question, "So when Paul says, "I might by all means save some," is the "some" he is speaking about " the few" who will be in the first Resurrection. I believe the answer is yes, yet, as I understand we are to recieve the Word of God that is spiritual not literal,  the term few also is not literal but spiritual. Few, for me, is not a number but a spritual symbol that as I understand the Scriputures, is showing a process and order of God, not a fixed literal number meaning three, or a few in the life of Paul he was out to "save" but this is spiritual and has no literal or fixed number in meaning but rather shows an order of God that according to the Way of God, prevails even to this day. Judgement on the House of God now, has been on going since the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

A few at a time, is an order of God that according to the order, perfection, intense detail of God's work that numbers every hair on our heads that is not literal or physical but spiritual and ordered according to show how God is in all the details, everywhere in everything all the time. That doesn't mean that God doesn't know how many hairs are on our heads.  :D God knows and cares about everything and every one.  :) The havest is still great.  :)

Arc

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 06:04:29 PM by Arcturus »

anniej

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 12:05:48 AM »

Yes, Janine.  The men on here are wonderful teachers and a great source of encouragement.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.